Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 10:03 AM

Default Stock options

Looking to put a new stock on my Rem 700 xcr.

Thought about going laminate or synthetic with aluminum bedding block.

Whats the pros or cons of each? One better than the other?

What are some of the better manufacturers as well? I know BC HS as well as Boyd.

Whats your thoughts and experience.

Looking at staying with similar stock design as original.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:09 AM

I would shoot the gun as is to start with. If it groups good, I would leave it be. The most I might do is pillar it and bed the recoil lug and 1st inch of the barrel. It already has a quality Bell and Carlson stock with an Aluminium bedding block. Unless you are trying to go Ultra Light or something you aren't going to improve much on what you have and will spend a lot of dollars for little gain.

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i186.html

Last edited by Dean2; 12-06-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I would shoot the gun as is to start with. If it groups good, I would leave it be. The most I might do is bed the recoil lug and 1st inch of the barrel. It already has a quality Bell and Carlson stock with an Aluminium bedding block. Unless you are trying to go Ultra Light or something you aren't going to improve much on what you have and will spend a lot of dollars for little gain.
I believe u are referring to the tactical? Mine is the original XCR1 in stainless. Hence wanting to upgrade to something else as its just a hogue overmolded stock
Old 12-06-2017, 10:28 AM

Laminate stocks are heavy, as are stocks using aluminum bedding blocks. My personal choice is McMillan, but they are not cheap. Whatever you go with, have it properly bedded. I even skim bed the stocks using aluminum bedding blocks.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:39 AM

There's a ton of options for the rem 700, stocky's stocks is a good showroom for options, I'd say go do this FIRST...

But, then please check out SECOND, go to Christensen arms website and check out their costs AND weight of their high end Carbon fiber composite stocks....

Lastly go to wildcat composites website (out of sherwood park AB) and check out their costs AND weights.

After you check out wildcat you'll be looking feedback for his products, lots of folks on CGN have them with a lot of positive things to say, but the third options is where I'd recommend after seeing your options and having some comparison.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
There's a ton of options for the rem 700, stocky's stocks is a good showroom for options, I'd say go do this FIRST...

But, then please check out SECOND, go to Christensen arms website and check out their costs AND weight of their high end Carbon fiber composite stocks....

Lastly go to wildcat composites website (out of sherwood park AB) and check out their costs AND weights.

After you check out wildcat you'll be looking feedback for his products, lots of folks on CGN have them with a lot of positive things to say, but the third options is where I'd recommend after seeing your options and having some comparison.
X2 on stocky stocks, other than at times can be difficult getting that stuff across the border.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Laminate stocks are heavy, as are stocks using aluminum bedding blocks. My personal choice is McMillan, but they are not cheap. Whatever you go with, have it properly bedded. I even skim bed the stocks using aluminum bedding blocks.
Hence you are saying you lay a thin bedding above and beyond the aluminum bedding block?

I'm willing to spend 500 on a stock and 500 to 700 on a barrel at some point. I already have the action and scope so honestly i think by the time I cerekote and put together I'm only in it for another 1500 or less which is custom to what I want vs buying an off the shelf higher end rifle.

Make sense or am I dreaming?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:45 PM

Default Price

I think your off on price unless your chambering the barrel, fitting the stock and Ceracoating yourself. Barrel blank can be had for $550, but you need reamer and headspace Guages and lathe, or pay a smith to do this, $400 to chamber and crown and thread. Cera maybe $350. I think if you could make this happen for $2000 you will have done really well. And I think I'm low balling some items and work.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:03 PM
Banned

I just ordered a McMillan for mt Weatherby can’t wait to get it customed up, stock jewel trigger and new barrel on order
Old 12-11-2017, 09:21 PM

I have no idea of “new” cost, but in composite with an aluminum bedding block I don’t think there is much better than an older Rem LTR take-off which was made by HS Precision (short action). They weigh just a tickle over 2lbs and have a reasonably flat bottom on the forestock. I also have an HS Precision sporter with aluminum bedding block that also has a relatively flat bottomed forestock that is not quite as wide and weighs about 2lbs even. I would skim bed the V in the bedding block if using a Rem factory action. I picked up a couple of the LTR take-offs from the EE for about $300.00. They come up when a shooter changes them for a more “tactical” looking stock. If you go that route, just make sure it is from an LTR with the alum bedding block (some of the newer versions lack the block).
If you are looking for a bit heavier/longer composite, the old Sendaros and some of the VSS factory rifles used the HS Precision ...also with aluminum bedding blocks. Some of those also had palm swells if you like that feature?
Laminates are heavier and prettier. Again, a Rem take-off from an older Rem Varmint (VLS) is a good platform but no aluminum block.
I expect to pick up a Wildcat this week which I am having epoxy bedded on top of aluminum pillars... will post a pic when I get it home. Wildcat has a TAC/Varm style stock that looks good and was pretty light.
Pics of some of the other options incoming.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 12-11-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Banned

Have you saw the new magpul 700 stocks?
I just set my creedmoor in one
Fully adjustable length of pull and comb height. Aluminium bedding block. Mine fits me so well. It also has bottom metal convert with pmags
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171030_211359009.jpg (43.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Here are some of the stocks mentioned. Top two are VLS take-offs...center is the LTR (HS) take-off ...fourth from top is a sporter HS Precision with aluminum block, bottom is Bell & Carlson with aluminum block.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 12-11-2017 at 09:43 PM.