Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 PM

Default What flies to used this of the year??? the Bow

I've been out twice already this year on the bow and got skunked both times. but there is this fellow (seen him both times) across the river just pulling them one after another!!! can anybody suggest some flies to try?
and also I just started fly-fishing last summer and recently started tying my own flies. thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 PM

Walk about 2 yards into the river pick up a good sized rock and look whats crawling on the bottom of it then open your nymph box and match the bug to a fly pattern you have and then fish it right off the bottom at all times you should be bumping bottom a fair amount. Also chironomid patterns in.black and green around size 18 are working very well.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 PM

I use a pretty heavy red san Juan worm pattern with a smaller scud or PT behind, this time of year very crucial
to get the flys DOWN on the rocks .
Old 02-02-2013, 03:40 PM

My two cents: Go and fish that spot he's fishing next time you go out. When you find fish in an area, there will be LOTS more of thier friends with them. Other than that, Uplander's methods are the ones I use, except I use small a small red Chirinomid as well as the others he mentioned.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:03 PM

Use a heavly weighted SJW (Size 4) and use a size 18 cronimid behind it.
Green, Red, Black all caught fish for me last weekend. Also lower your indicator more then normal to make sure your right on the bottom. If you not right on the bottom you wont catch fish. Me and Jake both caught fish on our first casts after lowering the indicator an extra foot. I was running my flies approx 10feet below my indicator to ensure my flies are dragging on the bottom where they should be. Fish the seems, DEEP runs and the pools and stay on them.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:41 PM

Along with the above midges are good right now along with small black winter stones that are just starting to move. The Caddis Larva are also active all winter.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 PM

size 16-18 Bead head latex caddis trailing behind a heavy worm or Size 2 Green Montana.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post
Walk about 2 yards into the river pick up a good sized rock and look whats crawling on the bottom of it then open your nymph box and match the bug to a fly pattern you have and then fish it right off the bottom at all times you should be bumping bottom a fair amount. Also chironomid patterns in.black and green around size 18 are working very well.
I would've never thought of that. thanks a lot guy for all the input. I'm taking notes
Old 02-03-2013, 03:39 AM

The winter is the season of technical nymphing.

The great thing about the winter is that you get the consolation prize of whitefish.

Whitefish and trout eat the same food, but the whitefish has a much smaller mouth.
To maximize your chances of catching fish, you have to optimize for both trout and whitefish.

My killer combination is a size 10 SJW, and a size 16 or 18 midge for the dropper. For the midge, a little red or green colouration increases the chances for a whitefish.

The fish are not as spooky, but they are selective on what they will spend their energy. The water is crystal clear. The fish are on the bottom of deep runs, so you have to get the nymphs down a quickly as possible. I find fluoro tippet really makes a difference. Fluoro sinks faster, is optically resistance to knicks and bends. I do not like to use greater than 3X fluoro.

I do not get skunked if I am out for more than 2 hours; however, it often takes me a couple of hours to find the fish. But once you find one, especially with whitefish, you will probably find more.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 AM

A few weeks ago I had to go through a bunch of different standard nymphs (SJ, hare's ear, copper john) before I finally got a bunch of hookups with a size 14 pheasant tail.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM

Don't be afraid to use a #18-20 BH pheasant tail nymph. When the water is clear, this is probably my #1 nymph on the bow.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Here is a Hatch Chart and whats out there for the Bow

April 1 - May 15 Blue winged Olive (BWO) 18 Blue Winged Olive, CDC Biot BWO, Adams, BWO nymph

May 15 - June 15 March Brown 14-16 March Brown, Adams

May 20 - August 30 Caddis 10-18 Elk Hair Caddis, Parachute Caddis, Slow Water Caddis, Flashback Caddis Nymph

June 15 - July 30 Pale Morning Dun (PMD) 14-16 Pale Morning Dun, Parachute PMD, CDC PMD, Light Cahill

June 15 - August 15 Golden Stonefly 6-12 Yellow and Orange Stimulators, Kauffman's Stone nymph, Brook's Stonefly nymph

July 15 - August 15 Western Green Drake 8-12 Green Drake, Green Paradrake, Thorax

July 15 - September 15 Grasshopper 4-12 Dave's or Whitlock's Hopper, Club Sandwich, Triple Decker,

July 15-October 1 Ants (Black & Red) 14-20 Parachute Ant, Foam Ant, Fur Ant

August 1 - October 1 Tricorythodes 18-22 Trico Spinner, Adams, CDC Biot Trico

August 15 - October 1 Fall Caddis 6-8 Mikaluck Sedge, Goddard Caddis, Stimulator (Orange, Brown & Green) Elk Hair Caddis

September 1 -August 15 Blue Winged Olive 18-20 CDC biot BWO, BWO, Adams

Year Round Midges (when temperature permits) 16-22 Black Gnat, Griffith's Gnat, chronomid nymphs

Other Popular & Versatile Bow River Patterns

2-14 San Juan Worm (Wire & Chenille versions)
6-12 Chernobyl Ant
12-16 Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymphs (Bead Head)
14-18 Pheasant Tail Nymphs (Bead Head)
Fall & Winter 10-14 Mini Leeches
Fall Back Swimmers 14-18 Prince nymph, Foam Water Boatman
Fall 12-16 Foam Beetle, Deer Hair Beetle
12-18 Prince Nymph (Bead Head)
2-10 Clouser Minnow
2-10 Wooly Buggers & Bow River Buggers
Old 02-04-2013, 03:39 PM

So most folks seem to advocate nymphs now. How about streamers on sinking tip line? C'mon, I just bought an 8 wt rod and reel! LOL bad purchase? Should have stuck with my 5?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So most folks seem to advocate nymphs now. How about streamers on sinking tip line? C'mon, I just bought an 8 wt rod and reel! LOL bad purchase? Should have stuck with my 5?
Good purchase. Just use weighted streamers in larger sizes so you bouncing along bottom on the swing. Most people nymph because its more productive for numbers and you get the chance of catching the ever ellusive whitefish .
Old 02-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Default Streamers

I swing streamers all winter long.(weather dependent) 10' piece of t8 and a sculpin pattern is key. Like the last poster said you won't catch as many fish, but the quality and size is second to none.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesapie View Post
I swing streamers all winter long.(weather dependent) 10' piece of t8 and a sculpin pattern is key. Like the last poster said you won't catch as many fish, but the quality and size is second to none.
X2....bang on.I'm sure I'd catch more fish,especially during winter,but I really dont care for nymphing all that much.I think I like the casting aspect of flyfishing as much as the catching, and would rather swing streamers and catch less rather than for all intents and purposes,resort to fishing with a bobber and worm like a 6 year old,lol.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM

What pattern of swj you fellows useing wire with a bead or the pattern with the red peice of material a little longer on the hook.Also do you only use red?any info would be appreciated thanks in advance. Just wondering trying to figure this winter bow nyphing thing out as well
Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
X2....bang on.I'm sure I'd catch more fish,especially during winter,but I really dont care for nymphing all that much.I think I like the casting aspect of flyfishing as much as the catching, and would rather swing streamers and catch less rather than for all intents and purposes,resort to fishing with a bobber and worm like a 6 year old,lol.
To each their own, as they say, whoever they are.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital shok View Post
What pattern of swj you fellows useing wire with a bead or the pattern with the red peice of material a little longer on the hook.Also do you only use red?any info would be appreciated thanks in advance. Just wondering trying to figure this winter bow nyphing thing out as well
Use which ever worm you have confidence in, it will makle more difference than a bead or a floss tail. I use size 2 & 4 worms that are just wire wrapped, no bead, no thread, no tail. They work great for myself and clients on my boat, fishing a large worm really limits the whites and is a good substitute for split shot... but there are tons of "right" ways to nymph just keep your rig on the bottom.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnyd View Post
To each their own, as they say, whoever they are.
LOL,my method snobbery only goes so far,Im not above nymphing outta frustration,usually following the Bow handing me my azz with no tugs on streamers for too many hours.Indi-nymphn just aint my favorite way to fish is all?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 PM

I am heading up to Canmore in 2 weeks, weather dependent I would like to fish around Canmore ( where it is still in season). Reading this tread I will be useing nymphs of all types and small sizes. Any one know of any good areas spots to fish? I know there is the hydro out put which is a really deep hole...
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Use which ever worm you have confidence in, it will makle more difference than a bead or a floss tail. I use size 2 & 4 worms that are just wire wrapped, no bead, no thread, no tail. They work great for myself and clients on my boat, fishing a large worm really limits the whites and is a good substitute for split shot... but there are tons of "right" ways to nymph just keep your rig on the bottom.

agreed. great weights that catch fish. i'm a larger hook wire fan as well, that is when i'm forced to fish a worm.

Dace