Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2013, 10:51 AM

Default Pink salmon fly review

I going try some beach Pink salmon fishing this summer for the first time. Starting to build some bait. Feel free to offer suggestions....

Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 AM

That purple one is going to be your top producer..... All of those will catch fish! Dont leave out chartreuse/green. Blue can be very good if the fish are picky. If you're really looking to add variety, a couple of yellows couldnt hurt.

If you have anymore questions about the island pinks, let me know goldscud. Chances are, if i havnt fished the place you have questions about, i have some contacts who know the island in and out, and can get you the information you need.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:12 PM

Thanks brother
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 PM

are you beach fishing or river fishing? and i second the use of chartreuse it is a good color for finicky pinks.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 PM

I'm open to beach/estuary/river fishing. I'm going to be on the island for 10 days so lots of options are available. I've never done it before so I don't have any experience to go on.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM

pinks in the River fishing are way different then the beach fishing. Its nicer to fish estuaries, unless you like slinging extra super fast sink tips or t-14.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:57 PM

ok cool well for river fishing you dont need to be too complicated i know a lot of guys who just tie on a ball of pink yarn. of course then there is not any fun catching them on a hand tied fly. any of the flies you have tied will work great in the river just keep in mind to have a bit of weight to get them to the bottom as all the fish you will be catching in the river will be caught within 6 inches of the bottom of the river. Sadly i dont have as much knowledge on beach fishing although working at the fly shop in campbell river last year i can tell you that a red pink or chartreuse california neil was one of the hottest flies we sold for beach fish pink and coho included. my second choice would be a size 6 stainless streamer hook tied with about 6 strands of blue green or pink polar bear or bucktail mixed with a few strands of krystal flash. i know it doesnt sound like much but it is a killer beach fly.
if you are in the campbell river area i can give you the names of a couple guys who can point you in the right direction while your there.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 AM

You are on the right track with the handle bar type of flies for pinks.bright pink and like others have said chartruce are 2 of the most popular colour choices. I am up in Edmonton at the moment but when I get back home I will post a few of mine.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM

Tie the same patterns with some bead chain eyes too for a little extra weight. I have caught many pinks on the same fly as your bottom one but with bead chains. Fishes a little faster and more erratically.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM

A few more

I think I'll add a silver tungsten bead to some for some weight as well.
Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
A few more

I think I'll add a silver tungsten bead to some for some weight as well.
Thanks for all the input guys.
I wouldnt add a tungsten, i would just use a regular bead. You dont want your fly getting underneath the fish. Just my opinion, i got tired of catching sculpin off the beach with heavy beach flies.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
I wouldnt add a tungsten, i would just use a regular bead. You dont want your fly getting underneath the fish. Just my opinion, i got tired of catching sculpin off the beach with heavy beach flies.
What species of sculpin were you catching? Staghorn or cabezons?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertafisher View Post
What species of sculpin were you catching? Staghorn or cabezons?
Ive caught both, but off the beach in the shallow water its staghorns. Cabezons show up every now and again fishing the reefs in 15+ feet of water.