Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 PM

Question New Fly Rod

I am hoping my wife lets me pick up a new fly rod this spring. I'm looking at a few different manufactures, namely Peiroway as I can customize it how I like. I'm kind o picky as I like shorter rods seven and a half foot 4 weight in a faster action and around 250$ bucks. any ideas would be great.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 PM

Most bang for your buck: redington, Echo, Amundsen

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM

TFO rods, cant beat what you get for the price.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:46 PM

tfo man, only rods i have and i absolutely love them
Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 PM

I have a Peiroway tactical in a 6 wt and the thing is a canon for casting.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
X2
Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twispi View Post
tfo man, only rods i have and i absolutely love them
Not to be a smartazz,but have you owned anything else?
Quote:
Hard to argue with that I guess?The local customer service/warranty is second to none Ive been told,and the BVK blank(only TFO I've owned) is comparable to some much higher priced rods,but the components,guides in particular,fit and finish are no frills IMO.....and that's their flagship model?Not saying theres anything "wrong" with them per se,the blank is decent and that's the meat and potatoes of any rod imo,so with that I'd say they are pretty good bang for yer buck.....but theres nothing fancy about them either,you get what you pay for.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Not to be a smartazz,but have you owned anything else?

Hard to argue with that I guess?The local customer service/warranty is second to none Ive been told,and the BVK blank(only TFO I've owned) is comparable to some much higher priced rods,but the components,guides in particular,fit and finish are no frills IMO.....and that's their flagship model?Not saying theres anything "wrong" with them per se,the blank is decent and that's the meat and potatoes of any rod imo,so with that I'd say they are pretty good bang for yer buck.....but theres nothing fancy about them either,you get what you pay for.
You will catch the same fish with a $700-$1400 sage, hardys or whatever than with a $400 bvk...ohh the performance, the accuracy or whatever..fish wont care about how beautiful and precise your cast is..if they are hungry, they go for whatever they see! fishing is about have fun, catch fish and enjoy nature. Is not rocket science and that's what marketing make people think, that they need a higher ended rod to go a catch a single fish!!! you dont need it!! having said that...TFO!!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osedma View Post
You will catch the same fish with a $700-$1400 sage, hardys or whatever than with a $400 bvk...ohh the performance, the accuracy or whatever..fish wont care about how beautiful and precise your cast is..if they are hungry, they go for whatever they see! fishing is about have fun, catch fish and enjoy nature. Is not rocket science and that's what marketing make people think, that they need a higher ended rod to go a catch a single fish!!! you dont need it!! having said that...TFO!!!!
You might want to avoid the Red Deer River, Prairie Creek, and Stauffer if you are up this way.

99% of hooking a big fish with some experience is how the fly is presented.

If you are watching a strike indicator the rod is a moot point as long as it has enough back bone to hook and land the fish.

If you are presenting a small dry to a spooky trout the rod becomes everything. It must have enough flex to set the fly gently and enough back bone to hook and land it.

The BVK and all TFO rods are a great value but I definitely land more flies is the strike zone and catch more fish with a quality rod. On top of this the high end rods are lighter and do not wear a person out casting.

To the OP; check out the Redington line as well. They have some very nice rods in your price range. They are offering a couple of new rods this year that are getting great reviews.

I have several TFOs and Redingtons around the house and the Redingtons have nicer components. I prefer a faster rod than any of the TFOs I have tried so my opinion is just that.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:49 AM

Forget the recommendations here. Go to a shop with lots of selection and cast, cast, cast cast. Pick the one you cast the best with. What works great for one person may not for another. You don't need to guess or take recommendations. TRY THEM OUT!

You missed a great chance at the fly fishing expo a few weeks ago. I bought a new rod there after trying a bunch out on the casting pond. But you can use the parking lot of a fly shop just as well.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
No argument here friend,I'm just saying you get what you pay for.I'm not putting down TFO,nor am I a sales rep for Sage or Hardy,nor am I some kind of gear snob,your talking to the master of getting by with what I have had or could afford.I don't go to the river to make a fashion statement,nor even to catch fish anymore really?I go to enjoy all aspects of my day,and part of that is appreciating the difference in the gear I use these days vs. what I had years ago.That said,I've probably caught more trout wearing jeans and sneaks or $40 Can Tire hip waders than most ever will in $800 Simms,but when it comes to any outdoor gear,whether hunting,fishing,or wutever,I've always tried to buy the best I could afford.
Anyhow,my involvement in this topic was only to comment on the TFO bandwagon that seems to be so prevalant in CGY especially?I read the reviews,bought into the hype,bought the rod,and while it's a pretty decent stick and good bang for the buck,I'm not doing cartwheels over it....thats all?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
X2 Feel the same way about spinning rods as well
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
No argument here friend,I'm just saying you get what you pay for.I'm not putting down TFO,nor am I a sales rep for Sage or Hardy,nor am I some kind of gear snob,your talking to the master of getting by with what I have had or could afford.I don't go to the river to make a fashion statement,nor even to catch fish anymore really?I go to enjoy all aspects of my day,and part of that is appreciating the difference in the gear I use these days vs. what I had years ago.That said,I've probably caught more trout wearing jeans and sneaks or $40 Can Tire hip waders than most ever will in $800 Simms,but when it comes to any outdoor gear,whether hunting,fishing,or wutever,I've always tried to buy the best I could afford.
Anyhow,my involvement in this topic was only to comment on the TFO bandwagon that seems to be so prevalant in CGY especially?I read the reviews,bought into the hype,bought the rod,and while it's a pretty decent stick and good bang for the buck,I'm not doing cartwheels over it....thats all?
yeah, if we keep going..we can actually say, why do i need a porsche 911 if a toyota camry o whatever is going to do the same thing, ride my around, go to work. My point is: it's a hobby, a way of life and we can enjoy it either with a fancy rod or with a walmart rod (I know sooo many people using these). The best thing to do, is cast cast cast like Okotokian said.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM

Red face

I have a redington red fly 2 (Purist model now) and love it. it is the right length and is a fast action just wanted to upgrade a little bit. It is getting very hard to find 4 weights that short anymore. I was interested in the bvk but same story it's an 8 footer. I could get away with it but I'd rather not. maybe just leave well enough alone and maybe not **** of the old lady. Thanks for the opinions.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 PM

Echo carbon, St. Croix Imperial and TFO Lefty Kreh are all good rod series for your price/quality range. The St. Croix is a bit faster of action which is good for heavier taper lines, like SA GPX taper or Rio Indicator line. Conversely the Echo is a bit slower. What ever fits your fancy.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Avoid fishing Central Alberta if you go by that logic. RDR browns are picky, same thing with stauffer if you dont have your casts perfect youll go home empty handed. I own Pieroways, TFOs, Redingtons. The TFO has a smoother cast, The redington pursuit made sloppy casts (You get what you pay for) and the pieroways seemed to cast the farthest and most backbone but you lack the feel of the rod. I really enjoyed casting the pieroway element but its not for everyone. The fish on my avatars were both caught on the Pieroway E series.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post

If you are watching a strike indicator the rod is a moot point as long as it has enough back bone to hook and land the fish.
If yer watching an indi-bobber you might as well use a spinning rod or at most a centerpin/mooching rod if you reeeallllly want to pretend your flyfishing,bwaaaaaahahaha!!! .
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Avoid fishing Central Alberta if you go by that logic. RDR browns are picky, same thing with stauffer if you dont have your casts perfect youll go home empty handed. I own Pieroways, TFOs, Redingtons. The TFO has a smoother cast, The redington pursuit made sloppy casts (You get what you pay for) and the pieroways seemed to cast the farthest and most backbone but you lack the feel of the rod. I really enjoyed casting the pieroway element but its not for everyone. The fish on my avatars were both caught on the Pieroway E series.
So your blaming your imperfect cast on the rod? What's the term...? It's a bad work-man to blame his tools? I don't judge... I'm just sayin'.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
if yer watching an indi-bobber you might as well use a spinning rod or at most a centerpin/mooching rod if you reeeallllly want to pretend your flyfishing,bwaaaaaahahaha!!!:sha_shakeshout: .
hahahaha. Nice
Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnyd View Post
So your blaming your imperfect cast on the rod? What's the term...? It's a bad work-man to blame his tools? I don't judge... I'm just sayin'.
Yeah. Seems like someones relying on their rod pretty heavily to do the catching for them.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM

One good comment out of all of these 20 posts is get out there and pick up a rod and cast it, period, end of discussion!

Its an argument and personal preference. Personally I think TFO is garbage, went out there and casted it and it sucked. Before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, it is my opinion and I am entitled to it. I have higher end equipment and I spend the money because I am fortunate enough to have the means and a woman that also loves fly fishing so she understands.

I agree an $800 rod will not make you a better fisherman, but I enjoy the hobby and I spend the money on it because life is short. Its not the equipment its the connection I make with mother nature and the fact that I am relaxed and not thinking about how much I spent but how it makes me smile every time I look at it, the feeling in the arm every time you cast it. Too many people nowadays go and follow brand names and get caught up in the race of which is better and don’t give other manufacturers a chance.

When I was first buying after all the research and reading I had my heart set on a Sage One. Went to the store and casted and casted and compared and walked out with a Helios. Sure enough they are high end rods but don’t let anyone tell you one brand is better than the other as in all honesty it trully does not matter until you get the feeling that this rod is an extension of your arm and you cant part with it. You simply forget the brand name once you get that feeling.

Dont make the same mistake as many did and follow a bandwagon of people be original, be yourself and enjoy life to its fullest. There is only one of you in this world so your hand will feel what others dont.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
One good comment out of all of these 20 posts is get out there and pick up a rod and cast it, period, end of discussion!

Its an argument and personal preference. Personally I think TFO is garbage, went out there and casted it and it sucked. Before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, it is my opinion and I am entitled to it. I have higher end equipment and I spend the money because I am fortunate enough to have the means and a woman that also loves fly fishing so she understands.

I agree an $800 rod will not make you a better fisherman, but I enjoy the hobby and I spend the money on it because life is short. Its not the equipment its the connection I make with mother nature and the fact that I am relaxed and not thinking about how much I spent but how it makes me smile every time I look at it, the feeling in the arm every time you cast it. Too many people nowadays go and follow brand names and get caught up in the race of which is better and don’t give other manufacturers a chance.

When I was first buying after all the research and reading I had my heart set on a Sage One. Went to the store and casted and casted and compared and walked out with a Helios. Sure enough they are high end rods but don’t let anyone tell you one brand is better than the other as in all honesty it trully does not matter until you get the feeling that this rod is an extension of your arm and you cant part with it. You simply forget the brand name once you get that feeling.

Dont make the same mistake as many did and follow a bandwagon of people be original, be yourself and enjoy life to its fullest. There is only one of you in this world so your hand will feel what others dont.
Good post. I agree with the whole TFO dislike stuff. Obviously if people are vouching for TFO, its because they've never held something of quality in their hand or they just listen to people on the internet like us, and dont bother trying other rods. Ive had Rods from every big company and a few of the small ones, besides pieroway (for reasons i wont get into), besides the BVK, which is the higher end TFO, other companies make better rods at TFO's price point now, it didnt used to be that way. The beginner tfo setup is probably the only place TFO really beats everyone else at the price range. But other then that, meh.

You definitely need to go to a shop though and pick up rods, and test them for yourself. You should ignore all of us, and find which one you like best.

All this being said.

My preferences are...
Winstons... but those are a bit out of some peoples price range.... They suit my casting style. I could probably catch the same fish on a Redington link, BVK, Flight and etc, but some rods you'll find, are just suited to YOU.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:56 PM

St. Croix was mentioned. I am pretty sure the Imperial is not a fast
rod but rather slow. Their SCV or SCIV are fast. I have an SCIII (Avid) which is a moderate action which I enjoy. As mentioned finish can add to your enjoyment of the rod. I assemble my own for just this reason. Mine might not look like 1k rods but personally done custom handles and other little touches add to the enjoyment for me.