Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 PM

Default Planer Board Question

So I got into trolling for eyes late last season and have geared up to do the majority of my eye hunting this way for the season. Will be bottom bouncing and running cranks primarily.

I will be sticking close to home (Sylvan/Gull/Buffalo).My question is will a planer board help me be more effective? If so has anyone run them on an inflatable boat (I have a Seamax HD360). Looking for mounting solutions as well (I run with the 2 bench seats w/swivel boats seats installed.

If not then I'll be sticking with the rod/reel hand method I used toward the end of last season.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
So I got into trolling for eyes late last season and have geared up to do the majority of my eye hunting this way for the season. Will be bottom bouncing and running cranks primarily.

I will be sticking close to home (Sylvan/Gull/Buffalo).My question is will a planer board help me be more effective? If so has anyone run them on an inflatable boat (I have a Seamax HD360). Looking for mounting solutions as well (I run with the 2 bench seats w/swivel boats seats installed.

If not then I'll be sticking with the rod/reel hand method I used toward the end of last season.
You can get the inline planners and run them off your rod quite easily. Any rod holder will be sturdy enough for these smaller in-line boards.

Running a crank should be a snap and you will definitely add another element to your game.

Sometimes walleye can be boat shy and you will find you will be hooking up more often on your planners the the water is clear and still.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Banned

Cool

Inline planers a bunk, ime,on flat water ok but any chop they are crap. As long as you have a good sturdy cleat small static line boards work great. Height above water really helps boards stay upright this may be your issue. Boards can fatigue parts so some attention to mounting point may be required.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

Any brands you prefer?

Also, I've never used them before. What should I expect to buy in addition to the boards themselves (i.e. release clips etc.)?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 PM

I prefer Offshore boards but have and do use Church tackle boards as well. These are Inlines that I use. Both have good releases, but you might want to upgrade to heavier on the Offshores. Also have TX-12 and 6's(smaller boards). But the reg size will be a good start.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, very helpful.

Any brands you prefer?

Also, I've never used them before. What should I expect to buy in addition to the boards themselves (i.e. release clips etc.)?
Pm when you head ou, be more than happy to show you a small water setup. Clips, shower curtan ring , dacron main line.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Pm when you head ou, be more than happy to show you a small water setup. Clips, shower curtan ring , dacron main line.
That would be awesome I will definitely take you up on that once the season opens.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
That would be awesome I will definitely take you up on that once the season opens.
If you search planer boards there was a thread I posted pics of my small boards on. To give you an idea, my boards are 10"x16".
Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
cool

I am going to be running this set-up from the canoe this year for trout

any suggestions on size/style/brand of board?

smaller water that never gets too rough
Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
cool

I am going to be running this set-up from the canoe this year for trout

any suggestions on size/style/brand of board?

smaller water that never gets too rough
No worries bg will get you set up in two hrs with a little ply wood and threaded rod . In line maybe a solution for a canoe as drag is significant with inline boards. Yellow birds are the only ones I have much time with.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 PM

Anyone have experience with ones like these for inline?

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=25390

For calm water days on my own.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:53 PM

Default Planer Boards

I have done some experimenting with the Church mini boards and the walleye boards and have had some good luck with these in calmer water conditions. I have even attached a leader to the larger walleye board and then connected my Humminbird Smart Cast (wrist watch receiver) to it to follow a depth the rapala will run. Pretty neat but didn't hook anything that day but that is always an option. I found the bigger cranks don't work aswell with the planer as it pulls them too far back not out to the side like the DT 16 and DT20s.

I plan on using this for browns in Swan Lake this summer along lilly pads as they are spooky as heII.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
No worries bg will get you set up in two hrs with a little ply wood and threaded rod . In line maybe a solution for a canoe as drag is significant with inline boards. Yellow birds are the only ones I have much time with.
drag shouldnt be too big an issue with the trolling motor.

I might try an inline board for motor restricted places
Old 04-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
drag shouldnt be too big an issue with the trolling motor.

I might try an inline board for motor restricted places
x2
Old 04-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pri View Post
x2
x2 what?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:50 PM

Use a TX 44 Church board and you will have no issues EVEN running a dipsy diver off of it. This board pulls out hard. As many of you know, a dispsy pulls allot harder than any size Crank bait or really heavy lure set up (flasher and plugs) so you will have no limitations using it or running anything you want off of it.

You can run these boards in calm water up to some average/moderate chop.

Most of the time these will be the way to go if you don't want to install a mast to make the larger planner set ups work.

Don't get me wrong - if you can, run a mast for best results onto a full size planner - but, come on, for 30-40 bucks you are in business with an inline board that can do 90% of what you need it to do.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
x2 what?
X3 lol
Old 04-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Banned

will the tx44 work at 1.5mph?

it is an inline board yes?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Banned

are there any tricks to getting good hook sets running cranks on these boards?

I'd like a good chance if I'm targeting small% fish
Old 04-05-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
will the tx44 work at 1.5mph?

it is an inline board yes?
Yes it is an in-line ....

It works well at all speeds but requires some mass (pull) for best performance

The smaller/midsize Walleye 22's work nicely if you are using a spoon, or simple (not heavy or non pulling hard) type presentations.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Banned

how about with medium and large cranks.

tail dancer's and such will load the board well I imagine, but even large, small lipped cranks may not pull too hard on it
Old 04-06-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Use a TX 44 Church board and you will have no issues EVEN running a dipsy diver off of it. This board pulls out hard. As many of you know, a dispsy pulls allot harder than any size Crank bait or really heavy lure set up (flasher and plugs) so you will have no limitations using it or running anything you want off of it.

You can run these boards in calm water up to some average/moderate chop.

Most of the time these will be the way to go if you don't want to install a mast to make the larger planner set ups work.

Don't get me wrong - if you can, run a mast for best results onto a full size planner - but, come on, for 30-40 bucks you are in business with an inline board that can do 90% of what you need it to do.
Agreed, I'll give that or something similar a shot for calmer water days. Still very interested in Gunner's set up to handle some moderate chop as these lakes are often in that condition. Also knowing that in my experience that is when the bite is best to boot.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
how about with medium and large cranks.

tail dancer's and such will load the board well I imagine, but even large, small lipped cranks may not pull too hard on it
Even with the mid sized boards like the Walleye Board or XT 22 (from Church Tackle) cranks will be fine. You can run a 7" deep diver magnum - no worries.

It's when you go up to using jet divers, dipsy divers or anything that pulls really hard, do you need something bigger than the mid sized models.

A XT44 is an example of one of the biggest in-line models you can get and it is hard to sink ..... trust me ..... when it's rough enough for the XT44 not to work ..... you don't want to be out there anyways .....lol.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I will be sticking close to home (Sylvan/Gull/Buffalo)...
You won't catch many wallys in Buffalo, but they could be fun for some big pike action...
Old 04-06-2013, 03:23 PM

That was my thought.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Even with the mid sized boards like the Walleye Board or XT 22 (from Church Tackle) cranks will be fine. You can run a 7" deep diver magnum - no worries.

It's when you go up to using jet divers, dipsy divers or anything that pulls really hard, do you need something bigger than the mid sized models.

A XT44 is an example of one of the biggest in-line models you can get and it is hard to sink ..... trust me ..... when it's rough enough for the XT44 not to work ..... you don't want to be out there anyways .....lol.
Thats why one runs static line boards, water state has no bearing on my desisions to fish. Rougher water often is the prime bite on some waters and if your not out in big water your unlightly to get big fish.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:37 PM

Both types of planners have their applications.

Running a 18" double board planner, on a mason line, to a mast (or your front cleat), to troll a crank, attached off a line release from your mason line on calm to moderate water makes zero sense to me.

You are getting exactly the same presentation at a lot less hassle for 90% of the fishing you will do in Alberta.

Snap on a Xt 22 in 15 seconds and you are in business.

For the 10% of the time you need to be a big boy on a big boy lake in big boy water - you are right.

The OP asked about an inflatable boat - so an inline board makes way more sense for most smaller craft. Would you disagree?

I seriously doubt he will spend $1000 to weld up a ski tower, somehow affix it to his inflatable to troll a giant planner set up when he can grab a $30 in-line planner out of a box and be ready to go in 15 seconds and cover off 90% of his needs.

That was the point I was trying to make.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Both types of planners have their applications.

Running a 18" double board planner, on a mason line, to a mast (or your front cleat), to troll a crank, attached off a line release from your mason line on calm to moderate water makes zero sense to me.

You are getting exactly the same presentation at a lot less hassle for 90% of the fishing you will do in Alberta.

Snap on a Xt 22 in 15 seconds and you are in business.

For the 10% of the time you need to be a big boy on a big boy lake in big boy water - you are right.

The OP asked about an inflatable boat - so an inline board makes way more sense for most smaller craft. Would you disagree?

I seriously doubt he will spend $1000 to weld up a ski tower, somehow affix it to his inflatable to troll a giant planner set up when he can grab a $30 in-line planner out of a box and be ready to go in 15 seconds and cover off 90% of his needs.

That was the point I was trying to make.
no worries. ime in lines interfere with the fight and can be a hassle bye ones self . I have never used a mast and my boards cost roughly the same as store bought inline. K,i,s the thing with static line boards once there out they can stay out all day,just send a new release out. I get to chose how the boards run to an extent .boards can be set up differntly till fish show a preferance then both can be set the same. See I think your stuck with kootaney boards in your head I make mty own small boards 4"panels 16" long 8"apart small static line boards for small central AB lakes covering 100% of our waters due to the fact the can be tuned to run according to conditions. Not trying to get into it just giving an educated opinion
Old 04-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Banned

I bought these Willie planers years ago because you could run them off either side of the boat. There are other planers that do that now, but back then you had to buy seperate planers for each side of the boat. I don't use them a lot any more, unless I am pulling gear in less than 6' of water and have used them on mudlines in the southern reservoirs with limited success. They run out to the side quite well, this pic was trolling at about 1 mph.