Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Default Cabin Fever = Pike on the "Fly"

Hoping all AO members had a great weekend with those they love

After spending the morning watching my toe nails growing I decided it was time to get my lard azz out of the lazyboy. So down to the basement to sharpen some hooks on my Rattlin Raps and Len Thompson's.

I was reflecting on two trips last year. I had a spring day on McGregor and a fall day on Travers where the lakes were glass for the whole day. So taking advantage of this I was site fishing the Pike both days. Catching the hammerhandles was a no brainer but the issue was the bigger Pike that were up in the shallows. Getting close to them was not much of a problem but everytime I flipped a lure there way the splash would send them high tailing it out of there. The biggest frustration was twice on Travers where I spotted a trophy size Pike cruising in a foot of water stalking the Whites that were schooling up for spawn.

Note- Daydreaming and sharpening hooks are not a good combo. So after stopping the bleeding I had a revelation
Why not keep the fly rod in the boat for some shallow water Pike. I should be able to lay something close to there snout without spooking them .

I wouldn't mind some of you fly guys posting a pic of your fav Pike flys. I need some ideas for when I get down to see Wayne and we hit those lake X's.

Dodger.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:48 PM

Big Pike like big bait so I use Coho Streamers about 4" long with two hooks (one's a trailer). Good action and the slough sharks slam them.