Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
How do you rig one of these so they slip towards the lure after a hook up?
Just pull the mono in to the round part... it will slip between the two pieces of wire that form the circle. Fish bites and the tension releases and the weight slides down too lure. Nothing to it.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschache View Post
Hey MRT, So after much thought I think that I am going to go this way also but am looking at the 1050, what made you decide on the 1060? Now that I have said that what is the size of a cannon ball that should be used (10LBS) and also what length of a power grip should be used (18",36"48")?
I’m no expert on this subject. I went with the 1060 instead of the 1050 because of the 2’ per crank of cable retrieve.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:44 PM

I think Everyone here has most of the basics covered and have mentioned the lures to try.

Jigging a 2oz white hair jig, buzz bomb, or white tube is a really fun way (and by far the best way to catch lots of fish quickly) once you find them sitting on the bottom in a particular area. So keep a jigging rod ready to go in the boat.

When trolling - Troll slow, lot's of "S" curves and get your presentation down (whatever you choose to drag) to where you see the suspended fish moving on the sonar (arches and lines up/down on angles) these are active feeders.

Lakers are usually not picky and relatively easy to catch (where they are plentiful) but every once in a while, they seem to hone on into one "colour" or one "vibration" or "action" and won't take anything else and it can get frustrating until you find the right speed, lure, colour or presentation.

Let me give you one example of that ....

Fishing was slow last trip - we were marking lots and lots of fish but not getting many takes - tried all the regular producers for lure, tried different speeds, set backs, flasher, no flasher, willow leafs no leafs ...... uuugggggg

So looking in one of my trays for something that moves a little differently I grabbed a large (like 5"-6" long) Joe Butcher Musky Spinner and it was was like a light switch. Absolutely crazy - the vibration must have driven them to strike - it out produced my spoons, flatfish and anchovie rig easily. That was my last Laker trip but this lure has now a permanent spot in my Laker bag .... the only regret I had was not trying it sooner.

I nailed more lakers in the last 1/2 day of fishing compared to the total of the 3 days before that !!! Give it a go .... here's the one I used. I had fire tiger and, pretty soon of course, my buddy switched over and used a white one with a silver blade and they started hitting both.

https://www.muskyshop.com/bucktails/...-551-tin-buck/
Old 05-27-2018, 08:18 PM

Thank you fellow anglers for the tips and suggestions! I have been doing a bit of research myself with the information given in this thread and will have to give it all a try when I go, will take pics of fish we catch and give a synopsis of my findings! again much appreciated to all that shared the tips and tricks!!
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:41 PM

It does depend what you mean by Northern Saskatchewan. The lake I'll be going to about the same time has ice off in early June, and we do NOT have to go deep at the end of June/early July. We long line 6" spoons (Williams, northern king, Len Thompson) in chrome with blue and white highlights. We also use large Tomics (salt water lure). We have manual downriggers if needed. The trout seem to relate to the edges of drop-offs into deep water that top out at 5-10 feet of rock bottom. Can catch the all day long, but early and late seems to be the best. I use baitcast rods 7 to 7.5 foot rods with medium heavy action with Abu Garcia 5500 or 6500 baitcast reels taking line in the 15-25 pound class.

Vic
Old 05-27-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
It does depend what you mean by Northern Saskatchewan. The lake I'll be going to about the same time has ice off in early June, and we do NOT have to go deep at the end of June/early July. We long line 6" spoons (Williams, northern king, Len Thompson) in chrome with blue and white highlights. We also use large Tomics (salt water lure). We have manual downriggers if needed. The trout seem to relate to the edges of drop-offs into deep water that top out at 5-10 feet of rock bottom. Can catch the all day long, but early and late seems to be the best. I use baitcast rods 7 to 7.5 foot rods with medium heavy action with Abu Garcia 5500 or 6500 baitcast reels taking line in the 15-25 pound class.

Vic
Hey Vic, I just want to be fully prepared for any scenario shallow or deep to maximize my success, its 14-15 hours drive from where I live so a little preparation goes along way from past experience, like I tell my kids all the time, plan, prepare and execute! regardless of how successful I do I will be happy to just get out and fish a species that I have never really fished for! I love a challenge!
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:22 PM

go to the fishing hole and pick up some T.C Motto lures work fantastic at coldlake for me

mack
Old 05-28-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post

Vic
X2 one year of the last 8 we went early june as opposed to august and was suprised how shallow they were. Caught hundreds a day while tossing len thompsons for pike in 6-12 fow.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschache View Post
Hey Vic, I just want to be fully prepared for any scenario shallow or deep to maximize my success, its 14-15 hours drive from where I live so a little preparation goes along way from past experience, like I tell my kids all the time, plan, prepare and execute! regardless of how successful I do I will be happy to just get out and fish a species that I have never really fished for! I love a challenge!
I hear ya. Just don't want you to overthink the problem. Get good gear (rod/reel/line) and bigger spoons than you would ever throw for pike here, and you'll be OK. If they are shallower, a light Williams Wabbler will do. If a little deeper, go with a Len Thompson #4 or #16 in the dimpled pattern. The heaviest one we fish regularly is a 300 series Eppinger Husky-Devle.

We use fish finders to find the drop-offs, and then the fish depth, and we have used downriggers set to a maximum of 30-40 feet.

We are headed to Reindeer Lake, so that is a 1050km - 13.5 hour drive for us. On the way out, we overnight in La Ronge, making it a quick and simple first day.

If you want more info, PM me.

Vic
Old 05-30-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Don’t ya wish it was that easy on Crowsnest Lake eh?

I don’t seem to mark a lot of critters in that lake.
haha - Your right Bessie. Crowsnest Lake is there to humble fisherman.