Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2019, 09:34 PM

Default Dash Cams

I’ve had the idea rolling in my mind lately of buying a dash cam or two for my vehicles.

Particularly after an incident about a year ago where I was accused of something I certainly didn’t do and couldn’t have done. 🙄

These things have come down in price big time and seem like a they might be cheap reassurance for this kind of thing.

Anybody use them?

What economical models are the ones to buy or the ones to avoid? I’d be looking for one for my pickup and one for my semi.

Last edited by tool; 11-07-2019 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-07-2019, 10:14 PM

If you do a lot of driving or are in a city I would recommend one. I have been to several accidents and there has been another motorist on the road with a dash cam that has had valuable evidence as to the cause of the accident. Most telling perhaps was a Silverado VS 80000# Semi... The Chevy was driving in oncoming traffic for 1/4 mile despite not passing anyone.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:47 PM

I'm running a Garmin that I got at Costco about 3-4 years ago. Their return policy was a factor but it hasn't been an issue. So far I've only downloaded one incident where I was a witness to some kid shearing off a parked cars drivers side mirror in front of a high school. I thought I'd be downloading 'idiot driver highlights' for the amusement of others on YouTube but that never materialized. Its worked fine so far and I think their GPS ought to work well.

I don't know where Garmin engineers their cameras but I know that their Canadian headquarters are right in Cochrane so its nice to support a company with local presence.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 11-07-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:58 AM

Had a customer in the shop who had hit a bull moose, only the antler actually contacted the car slicing through the windshield post breaking the windshield, slicing the windshield post, door frame, drivers side window, mirror, etc, and really didn't look like the typical animal hit. No hair, blood etc. Insurance didn't believe him thinking it looked more like he hit an object of some sort and was trying to make a false claim. He showed the incident recorded on his dash cam, sure enough there was a big bull moose recorded. The moose was knocked down, came to, got up and walked away, survived fine other than a set of busted up antlers.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:38 PM

I purchased a Garmin 55 almost a year ago. Haven't had any negative issues with it. At some point I'd like to also get a rear facing camera but for now this one has served me well. GPS coordinates are (optionally) recorded on the video. Bonus is that it alerts me to when I'm approaching red light cameras.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:15 PM

https://dod-tech.ca/product-category/dod-dash-cameras/

These are good Canadian made cameras. Mine was awesome until my dog splashed coffee out of my coffee cup all over the windshield and dash cam causing it to stop working.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:42 PM

Default garmin

Have a friend that has this one ..... but he got his at costco as its cheaper.... and he swears by it.... loves it... does everything he needs it to do and more..... Its a Garmin and its from costco.... you can't beat that combo.... it will be my next purchase as well.....
https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/552032
Old 11-08-2019, 09:07 PM

The boss at work bought about a dozen of the HD Mirror Cams from the infomercial and handed them out like candy. I chuckled when I saw the infomercial myself and realized where all these dash cams came from.

Our people have had five accidents in the last month and not a single one caught anything that could be used to prove fault (two side-swipe incidents should be no fault of ours). Personally I hate these ones as the mirror has a blue anti-glare coating that makes it hard to see through unless it's bright and sunny outside. Also I find the video screen in the mirror distracting.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:35 AM

Not sire if you guys get them over the pond, but most popular here is the nextbase. You don't need a lot from a dashcam, just something that plugs into te cigarette lighter, turns on when you turn the car on, and quite important for insurance is that it has gos function. Mine does speed you are going, but I tend to turn that off!

They are great bits of kit, more of a ass covering item, as I have had a few incidents that were not my fault, but not since buying one!
Old 11-09-2019, 12:45 AM
Banned

I would say to buy a dash cam, they're great for insurance purposes. Especially when insurance companies tries to deny claims.

The brand and capabilities depends on what you would demand from the dash cam. If you need something cheap, buy a papago or something similar from Amazon.

But if you want something that has cloud features, back camera, online storage. I would go with a black vue dash cam. However, they are pricey and has a subscription fee for the online storage.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:59 AM

I use thinkware and blackvue with additional rear facing cameras in the back window from bestbuy. They all have gps and parking lot incident recording

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-09-2019, 07:54 PM

I use blackvue and thinkware dual channel cameras (front and rear), too. Recommend either of them.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:05 PM

How much do you have to spend to get something serviceable?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:41 PM

All of these are deals that are hard to beat

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/categor...53aRefurbished

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-09-2019, 09:22 PM

I’ve had DOD from Costco for a couple of years and it’s worked well. About a year ago I put a Blackvue in our other car. Front and rear camera in 4K. Crazy good picture. Very handy for accidents or incidents where a cop pulls you over for something you didn’t do. The money you might save on insurance and/or tickets pays for one pretty darn quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2019, 11:37 PM

Of course it is because they have zero inventory in store or online 😆
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
All of these are deals that are hard to beat

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/categor...53aRefurbished
Old 11-10-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Of course it is because they have zero inventory in store or online 😆
Already? Wow there were several when I posted that.
Was a good sale!

Old 11-10-2019, 09:53 AM

Check the view angle you want one with the fisheye lense 180+ degrees that way you can film the sides as well.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:42 PM

I bought AKASO DL9 front\rear mirror dash cam from amazon - $100

and $20 AUKEY Dash Cam Hardwire Kit with Motion Detection Sensor that connects to OBD port.

Installed myself using this video

Now I have both front and rear dash cams plus rear view camera.

Working fine for couple months so far.

This model has a touchscreen for the full mirror. There are even cheaper versions which have smaller screen or not 1080p.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsa77 View Post
I bought AKASO DL9 front\rear mirror dash cam from amazon - $100
and $20 AUKEY Dash Cam Hardwire Kit with Motion Detection Sensor that connects to OBD port.
Installed myself using this video Now I have both front and rear dash cams plus rear view camera.
Working fine for couple months so far.
This model has a touchscreen for the full mirror. There are even cheaper versions which have smaller screen or not 1080p.
no GPS?

Old 11-17-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
no GPS?
no, this model doesn't have a GPS. There are similar dash cams with external GPS from different brands though. Campark for example.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:50 PM

Bump. Looking for more or new recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_throttle View Post
Bump. Looking for more or new recommendations
Whatever brand you go with find one that will record forwards and backwards.

I like the park mode on mine where if it senses motion while I'm parked it starts recording in 360* in case there are some hoodlums looking for spare change, or my stereo.

It also has an impact sensor that will start recording when tripped but the motion sensor would start up before that would.

A few years ago the question was, could I afford one?

Now it's more like can I afford to NOT have one? Especially when you can get a good one for less then half of a $500 deductible. Surprised they don't come from factory with them yet. I know Tesla does.

The first thing some people start dooing right after an accident is start lying, the video dosent, and is impartial.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:10 AM

Default top 10 of 2020

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/pages/best-dash-cams

Old 01-15-2020, 11:49 AM

I am using the Cobra Dash2208 dual camera system now. I also have the Panasonic CYVRP110T single camera that I use. Next in line I’m going to demo the GT700 3 camera system. I have promoted camera’s out to customers doing long haul and some of the accidents that they’ve been cleared on because of the camera’s are amazing.