Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 02:02 PM
Gone Hunting

I've been checking out dealer ratings. All very interesting.

West gate and Lakewood Chev dealers both get good ratings.
North Point Motors has almost nothing for ratings

The guys that tried to sell me a vehicle with a lien on it get very low ratings.

I'm learning a lot thanks to one deal gone south.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-17-2019, 03:36 PM

Are your adamant about buying from a dealer? No taxes if you buy private.

My friend had one of the first Cummins Titan's. Wow, what a beautiful truck, especially the interior. I'm not a big import guy but I'd rock the heck out of that Titan.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

My friend had one of the first Cummins Titan's. Wow, what a beautiful truck, especially the interior. I'm not a big import guy but I'd rock the heck out of that Titan.
That's not accurate if the seller has a GST number.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
If u run into a private seller with a gst number that he is actually using there is a real good chance he is a curber. Run hard the other way. Even with a GST number I would never use it selling my personal vehicles, there is zero advantage to doing so.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
I’ve bought a vehicle owned by a company—seller ate the GST on the sale. Same with the skid steer I bought also. I would assume that would be the rule of thumb for a private/non-dealer sales.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

I am looking at a couple of private deals. I bought my previous truck in a private deal. And it had a lien on it at the time.
But the guy was honest about that so we talked to my bank and did the deal.

It all worked out fine. Best truck I've ever owned too.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-17-2019, 07:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If u run into a private seller with a gst number that he is actually using there is a real good chance he is a curber. Run hard the other way. Even with a GST number I would never use it selling my personal vehicles, there is zero advantage to doing so.
Funny you should mention curbers. I think I ran into one today.

The price listed was ridiculously low so more out of curiosity then interest I phoned him and asked why. He said he just wanted it gone so I asked a bunch of other questions, like had he owned it since new and did he sell a lot of vehicles.
His answers were vague or evasive so I backed out.

Far too many warning flags for this hillbilly. The guy even said he'd drive to Edmonton, from Calgary so I could look at it. Why?
Is no one in Calgary interested?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-18-2019, 04:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Update since I last posted.

I've talked to the dealer with lien on his truck.
I told him there is no way I'm buying that truck but I offered to look at another if he had a different Nissan or Toyota in stock.

He ignored that suggestion and kept insisting that the lien has been removed and claimed he has papers to prove it.
I explained that even if he had tons of proof I wasn't interested in that truck because I can't be sure there isn't other things about that truck that he isn't aware of, based on the fact he should have known a title search would show a lien on it and he had not disclosed that to me.

After going round and round about me not wanting it and him saying he would provide proof I asked for my deposit back. To that he claimed that was not possible because according to him he has no proof a deposit was ever made because, (he claims) by law he has to shred all documents associated with any deposit immediately after it is accepted.

So I called AMVIC, they say they can do nothing even though they say he was required to reveal any recent liens on the vehicle. Seems there is no legislation preventing this practice.

You are on your own if this happens to you.

For those looking to buy a vehicle, the dealer I'm having the issues with is Southside Mitsubishi. I should have checked their dealer rating, it is very low. It seems they have a lot of disgruntled customers.
Buyer beware applies here.

On to other matters. I have located another Titan, the same year with less km. on it and for $3,000 less.
Now I'm waiting for the results on a registry check on that vehicle.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-18-2019, 04:06 PM

Seems like an odd explanation. Why would they delete the deposit information as soon as they accept it? Kind of defeats the purpose of a deposit. Wonder if you could take them to small claims court? Could you speak to your credit card company again as this should constitute fraud? Can you take it up the chain of command to the manager or even higher?
Old 11-18-2019, 04:13 PM

Default Time to sic ken on them (kenaovette or something like that)

My son got conned into making a deposit on a vehicle he ended up not qualifying to finance. Rather than refund they wanted him to get a cosigner. Nope not going to happen so Ken made the call to their sales manager and he picked up his deposit the next day.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
My son got conned into making a deposit on a vehicle he ended up not qualifying to finance. Rather than refund they wanted him to get a cosigner. Nope not going to happen so Ken made the call to their sales manager and he picked up his deposit the next day.
Agreed Ken can work miracles as he knows how not to get mad but be firm

Buy whatever you can afford, buy the newest year

I would buy new even though you are old as you refer to not outliving your truck if I read it right

new you have good warranty

used but not abused is the best get another garage to check it out for 200 bucks.

Cement bench
Old 11-18-2019, 04:43 PM

On the upside I got the pellet gun dropped off at your son's place
Old 11-18-2019, 05:36 PM

It is likely a simple mistake.
But, there might be more to the story now that ceveral days have passed.
Your deposit maybe on hold for 21 days if done with a CC.
That been my experience here in Bring Cash.
Rob
Old 11-18-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
Agreed Ken can work miracles as he knows how not to get mad but be firm
X3

Also a great guy to get to know.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:13 PM

The guys at southside Mitsubishi just bought the dealership in Calgary called bow Mitsubishi. As a former employee I’ve been witness to several of there shady business acts and therefore decided to terminate my employment. Once they have your money they are not letting go. Mike lowton is the general manager there and runs the same kind of business in Calgary. Many upset customers and employees. They’ve actually resorted to asking there own staff to leave positive reviews to support the business. They are part of the kross group. If you can get a hold of Kevin Robertson who is the owners he might be easier to deal with. Otherwise dealing with Mike is a dead end. There also pretty famous for not immediately paying off trade ins which can cause the lien to remain on the title.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Okay, I've got registry searches for the two Titans at North Point Motors, as well as carfax reports for both.

Both come up clean, no liens, no major repairs, no accidents and no recalls.

Best of all, both are well below suggested retail for the year make and mileage.

I need one one more thing before I head to the city. Since the price is very close to the insurance payout amount I'll have no operating budget so I'm waiting on approval of a small loan before I head south.
I expect there will be no issues with that, they already approved a loan for the truck with a lien on it so all that needs to happen is for them to run checks on these trucks and I'll be on my way south.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-18-2019, 09:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post

I've met Ken. If he said I owed someone money I'd pay even if I didn't owe anyone a dime. LOL

Ken is an awesome friend. He even offered to lend me one of his vehicles while I search for new wheels.

Honestly I'm not all that concerned about the deposit. I can get it back, It's just a matter of when.

Even if it costs me a bit, loosing a couple hundred is far better then being saddled with a truck I can't register in my name and possibly having to pay off someone elses loan.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-18-2019, 09:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Seems like an odd explanation. Why would they delete the deposit information as soon as they accept it? Kind of defeats the purpose of a deposit. Wonder if you could take them to small claims court? Could you speak to your credit card company again as this should constitute fraud? Can you take it up the chain of command to the manager or even higher?
I talked to the manager, he's the one who told me they have no record of the deposit. But of course I do have proof. He's just stalling and we both know it.

A fraud claim filed with the RCMP ought to refresh his memory.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-18-2019, 09:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
On the upside I got the pellet gun dropped off at your son's place
Thank you sir, I'll give you a call when I reach Edmonton. I'll have the cash with me, and enough to buy us both lunch.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-18-2019, 09:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastefulcookie View Post
The guys at southside Mitsubishi just bought the dealership in Calgary called bow Mitsubishi. As a former employee I’ve been witness to several of there shady business acts and therefore decided to terminate my employment. Once they have your money they are not letting go. Mike lowton is the general manager there and runs the same kind of business in Calgary. Many upset customers and employees. They’ve actually resorted to asking there own staff to leave positive reviews to support the business. They are part of the kross group. If you can get a hold of Kevin Robertson who is the owners he might be easier to deal with. Otherwise dealing with Mike is a dead end. There also pretty famous for not immediately paying off trade ins which can cause the lien to remain on the title.
I learned a bit late what they are about. But I'm pretty sure I can get my money back no matter what they try.

Live and learn they say. I've learned a lot this time. I've never bought from a dealer before, always from someone I know.
I didn't even know I could run a registry check, now I know and have two reports here on my desk to prove it.

I hope you have a far better employer now. Best of luck with your future.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-19-2019, 08:19 AM

Never put a deposit on a vehicle at the dealership. Its a sales tactic saying they need one to "hold" the truck. Dealership vehicles are a dime a dozen.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisPbacon View Post
Never put a deposit on a vehicle at the dealership. Its a sales tactic saying they need one to "hold" the truck. Dealership vehicles are a dime a dozen.
You are 100% right

Many tried that with me, I told them, "well if it sells before I get to your dealership then I guess you are out a sale and I will find a new dealer that has what I want"

Funny how the vehicle was ALWAYS there upon my arrival lol.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:19 AM

Let me know when you are rolling and if everything works out and I'm not stuck somewhere on the wrong side of town I'll get you to the dealer. We can hit the Costco down 50th for the good old Costco hot dog. You can have hot dog burps for the rest of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Thank you sir, I'll give you a call when I reach Edmonton. I'll have the cash with me, and enough to buy us both lunch.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:31 AM

Let me know when you are rolling and if everything works out and I'm not stuck somewhere on the wrong side of town I'll get you to the dealer. We can hit the Costco down 50th for the good old Costco hot dog. You can have hot dog burps for the rest of the day.

Quote:
Old 11-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Gone Hunting

LOL I love hot dogs.

I'm still waiting on my bank. I'm taking out an operating loan as I would have just a couple of hundred left over for trip expenses.
That's one night in a motel and a couple of meals.

I would have enough if I waited until my next pension check but I don't want to wait that long. I've been without wheels for a month now and I still have a Moose tag to fill.

I was hoping they'd call with confirmation today but nothing so far. Now is too late to catch the bus today so I won't be going anywhere at least until tomorrow.

All this waiting is making me figidity.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-19-2019, 11:46 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisPbacon View Post
Lesson learned.

In my defense, I don't have much experiance buying vehicles. And most of my vehicle purchases have been from people I knew and trusted.
And it's the first time I've been asked to put down a deposit.

Never again. But if this works out the way I hope, this will be the last vehicle I ever buy.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-19-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Lesson learned.

In my defense, I don't have much experiance buying vehicles. And most of my vehicle purchases have been from people I knew and trusted.
And it's the first time I've been asked to put down a deposit.

Never again. But if this works out the way I hope, this will be the last vehicle I ever buy.
I have put down "deposits" and never had an issue backing out of a purchase. I always state that my deposit is conditional on seeing the vehicle though. Almost bought a vehicle that was painted one time. Painted right over top the tar on the door and decals very poorly. Ended up buying new as I wasted a trip to Edmonton and was getting frustrated. Hopefully you are able to find something soon as I couldn't imagine not having a vehicle to drive.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:16 PM

It's important to have documentation. A deposit isn't a big deal if you have an email or offer to purchase that explains that the deposit is refundable. Please, for the love of God, do not let them get off with keeping your deposit.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
That's what a salesman at another deler told me to do.
But online reports don't offer much help in them doing anything.

At any rate I'm not at that point yet. I will give them a chance to get the lien removed and if that doesn't happen by the middle of next week I do expect my deposit back. Only after exausting those avenues will I take the matter up with AMVIC or our lawyer.

I just want to understand how this could happen. I had thought that buying from a dealer meant no liens to deal with. Obviously that is wrong.
Buying at the dealer does mean no liens. Also in Alberta if my memory is correct the buyer has 10 days to change his mind about a contract sale without having to give a reason.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Buying at the dealer does mean no liens. Also in Alberta if my memory is correct the buyer has 10 days to change his mind about a contract sale without having to give a reason.
Wonder if that’s what they are trying to wait out? I would send an email to cancel or make the condition to have lien removed by next week with an exact date and time.