Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-02-2010, 09:02 AM

Default Redfield scope the same as a leupold?

First off, I dont know anything cept what I have happen to have read on forums and such lately. I was in BPS yesterday and lurkking around the gun counter when I overheard one of there salesman telling a customer how this here redfield scope is exactly the same as the leupold she was asking for, just cheaper. his words were- It is the exact same insides with a different casing on the outside.

Could this be true, or would the glass etc in the guts of a scope be of different quality?

Just curious, but from what i have read, most seem to say with a scope, you get what you pay for.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 AM

Leupold now owns Redfield,so ask yourself why Leupold would sell an identical Redfield scope for less money to compete with their own Leupold line.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:18 AM

Some of them share the same body. The coatings on the lenses are what differ even between redfield and leupold scopes. Redfield was bought out by Leupold a little while ago. The redfields are supposed to be a decent scope for the money. Look through a few pieces of glass and see for yourself. If you don't notice a difference buy the cheaper one
Old 10-02-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Leupold now owns Redfield,so ask yourself why Leupold would sell an identical Redfield scope for less money to compete with their own Leupold line.
.............................................. ..............................I GOT IT!!!! They build a cheaper scope...............that looks similar..................and hope people that wont buy a Leupold.................think they are getting something for nothing????????
Old 10-02-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
The coatings on the lenses are what differ even between redfield and leupold scopes.
There may also be difference in the internal mechanisms,that effect tracking and holding zero.

Quote:
.I GOT IT!!!! They build a cheaper scope...............that looks similar..................and hope people that wont buy a Leupold.................think they are getting something for nothing????????
That is my opinion as well.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The same reason they would build a VX I to compete with their VX 3 line.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-02-2010, 09:28 AM

With optics, price is usually equivalent to quality. A cheaper scope side by side with a more costly one may seem the same for clarity etc. in day light. The more costly ones generally do respond better at dawn and dusk than a cheaper one .
Old 10-02-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
The same reason they would build a VX I to compete with their VX 3 line.
Exactly,they are made by the same company,but they are far from being equivalent products.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:59 AM

I own an older Redfield tracker and it works extremely well. In mine and my dads opinion it is right along side our friends vx-2's and 3's. However I don't know how the quality of the new ones stack up. After walking up and down hills in the cold weather it does not fog up, for me anyway. And at dusk and dawn I can see things extremely clear. Another good thing is if something does go wrong with it,I can send it right back to Korth for warranty.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 AM

Another advantage is that the Redfield riflescopes are made in Oregon, not overseas. While Oregon obviously isn't Canada; I'd rather at least my money stay on the continent. Redfields spotting scopes however, are imports; they're not made in the Oregon facility.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:20 AM

Both Leupold and Redfield scopes are assembled in the USA,but they do use imported components.

http://www.leupold.com/corporate/abo...ics-authority/

I haven't seen a recently produced Leupold scope,but I have heard that they no longer wear the "made in USA" label because of the number of foreign components being used in their scopes.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Just to be clear, I aint in the market for a scope and I did not know they were the same company now. It seemed to me, and I couldnt here everything, that the customer asked for a certain leupold scope for a rifle being bought, and they were sold out of that model. salesman sort of implied that they had a boom rush on that model but this one is the same optics etc...I wonder if there was a leupold on sale recently, of which they were out of stock. Maybe a bit of a bait and switch... seemed a little fishy to me is all. Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Just in my opinion, if you're planning on making any major purchases at bps, do some research and know exactly what you're lokking for. Have found from my own experiences that a lot of the staff there are salesmen, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:39 PM

I spoke with the rep in regards to these products and as far as i am concerned they are pretty close.
Leupold has made a scope for all the ages now from entry level to the elite.
Same factory, same gas in scope, slightly different glass, same warranty
= no brainer great buy for the money
Old 10-02-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Another advantage is that the Redfield riflescopes are made in Oregon, not overseas. While Oregon obviously isn't Canada; I'd rather at least my money stay on the continent. Redfields spotting scopes however, are imports; they're not made in the Oregon facility.
x2! better the money stays in North America than going off to asia or who knows where... as for components being made elsewhere? well unfortunately whatthese days doesn't have something made from somewhere outside of north america?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
Just in my opinion, if you're planning on making any major purchases at bps, do some research and know exactly what you're lokking for. Have found from my own experiences that a lot of the staff there are salesmen, nothing more, nothing less.
You're not implying they are just pushing for a comission are you?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:59 AM

I have the 2-7 on my 375. It is just a cheap lupy.It doesn't compare to my VX3 but is a good entry level scope. Mine tracks and zooms as it should. The finish on the tube shows dust and scratches more than I like. I would recomend them for young hunters or people with a tight budget. Not the same as a VX1.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 10-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Put a 2-7 Redfield Revolution on an old Ruger 77 270 on the weekend and shot it. That was the best 175 bucks I have ever spent. Not as good quality as a VX3 but I am extremly satisfied as to the functionality and glass. Great lightweight compact scope that fit on a ruger long action.

Nice work Redfield!! Thanks Prophet River.