Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-21-2008, 06:13 PM

Default parker hale .270 model??

just got a parker hale in .270 win. bolt action. I was told its circa late 80's. it has no model number or name on it and i cant find any info on parker hale models. anyone here have any idea what model this gun may be? its in good shape and after a major cleaning last night I found it shot pretty well at the range this morning. thanks for any info

M
Old 03-21-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarki View Post
just got a parker hale in .270 win. bolt action. I was told its circa late 80's. it has no model number or name on it and i cant find any info on parker hale models. anyone here have any idea what model this gun may be? its in good shape and after a major cleaning last night I found it shot pretty well at the range this morning. thanks for any info

M
Pictures please

There are no absolutes
Old 03-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Nationwide

Thumbs up

Quote:
Pictures please
x2 it would help.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:29 PM

dang, yeah i figured pics would be required but i dont have a digital camera. ill try to get a pic up by monday. later

M
Old 03-21-2008, 06:53 PM

I have one,, when i bought it the told me it was a "safari model"
pics will help fer sure....
Old 03-21-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationwide View Post
x2 it would help.
C'mon, give 'em up!
I love looking at PH's, great rifles, especially the Safari dekuxe models...
Cat
Old 03-21-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeviation View Post
I have one,, when i bought it the told me it was a "safari model"
pics will help fer sure....
I picked up a .30-06 many years ago that had been in a basement flood and left for 2 years, reworked it and it's a gorgeous rifle. It says "Safari Grade" stamped right into it yet I was told that PH never chambered the Safari in '06. So much for the experts. I cut my shooting teeth on a .270 PH and used it exclusively for over 20 years ('til the gun buying bug got me) and it says on the barrel "Parker-Hale Birmingham England". Just ahead of the chamber it's stamped ".270W". Nothing else. Like the 1200C it's the classic Mauser with a modern safety, but there simply is no model number. You can't top-feed a round and woe the man who tries to clip-feed one if the bolt has been lifted and lowered, cocking the rifle. It'll jam one in the chamber so hard you better have a ramrod with you - it didn't feed into the bolt lugs and pushed the shell ahead to seize everything. The learning curve at it's worst and it cost me a young bull elk back when there were lots and we could buy the great M-E-D tag.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:20 AM

here r sum pixs of my PH .270win
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...Picture154.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...Picture156.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...Picture157.jpg
Old 03-22-2008, 09:22 PM

Yup - that's it! Same as mine 'til I rolled my pickup many years ago. It literally went out the sliding rear window out of a ZIPPED UP CLOSED CASE, flew out, truck rolled over it and snapped the stock at the grip and broke the scope. Replaced the stock in "Japanese walnut" (horrendous"), rescoped, and with a lot of sanding to free-float the forearm, some tightening, and a little reworking the wood wound up with a rifle that's sub MOA shooting a 130 gr Sierra BT ahead of 54 grs of IMR 4350. Since it was retired a few years ago, I cleaned it and tried it out last fall. With Hornady 140 Lt Mag ammo, it's still great. Accurate as hell. Still takes a back seat to my Tikka 7mm Mag, but will make a hunter out of the son-in-law yet!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:43 PM

finally got some pics. used the cell phone after finding the connecty thingy to plug into the computer.... so here it is. like sbtennex said "it says on the barrel "Parker-Hale Birmingham England". Just ahead of the chamber it's stamped ".270W". Nothing else." I really like this gun and since its my first hunting rifle and kind of old i'd like to learn what i can about it. thanks for all the info!

M
Old 03-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned

I have a 270/3306 clip for a PH. If someone has use for one , PM me and I'll throw it in the mail..
Old 03-24-2008, 04:23 PM

after some more searching i found one for sale on a us gun site. it would appear that i have the model 1200 deluxe as mine is identical to the gun posted for sale. if anyone thinks i am wrong please let me know otherwise i am calling it the 1200 deluxe. thanks for all the info...

M
Old 03-24-2008, 04:31 PM

what you have there is a parker hale 1200 safari deluxe ive collected ph for years and these were a pretty common model and are pretty good rifles
Old 03-24-2008, 04:51 PM

thats great grandslamer thanks for the info!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 PM

Default Parker Hale clip

I have a parker hale 30.06 which was given to me by my dad it shoots great but the clip is missing. Iwould love the one you have and will gladly pay all ship ing costs. Plus? Threllie
Old 10-12-2010, 12:55 PM

Congratulations on your new rifle!

PH rifles are hidden gems in the gun world IMO.
They never developed a vey strong following and for that reason, can be had for reasonable prices. I've never seen one that won't shoot well and the commercial Mauser actions PH used are of good quality and known to be very reliable.

A previous poster pointed out that they can't be top loaded. This is not entirely true and I think what he actually ment is that they can be top loaded, but the cartridge has to be pushed down into the mag with your thumb before trying to chamber the round with the bolt. The cartridge rim has to ride up behind the extractor and if this dosn't happen, you can have a bad jam. It's common to all Mauser clone actions that use the large claw type extractor and the system gives a high degree of reliability when used right.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Default Clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
I have a 270/3306 clip for a PH. If someone has use for one , PM me and I'll throw it in the mail..
Im looking for a clip for my Parker Hale 30.06 and will gladly pay all shipping costs, Plus? Threllie