Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 AM

Default Need to pick a scope & mounts

Hello - first post on the forums, but I've been lurking for awhile.

I just bought a new T/C Icon WeatherShield .308 in camo, and I need to get a scope for it. ~$500 or so would be about my limit on the scope.

I want probably a 3-9x40, so I have been ogling a Leupold VX-II in silver. Unfortunately, I guess we can't get the Leupold custom stuff up here so the Dark Earth finish, which I think would be a better color match for my rifle, isn't available.

What I am wondering is if any of you have any suggestions for a scope/rings combo that will work reliably and accurately, AND look good on the rifle?

Thanks...
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM

Check out the vortex scopes awsome scope for the money
Old 10-11-2010, 01:29 PM

The Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest can be purchased for under $500.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:54 PM

i have a 3x9x40 VX II in silver I would sell. The scope is like brand new. $400 and its yours. Ill even throw in the camo rings i have for it.I'm in Calgary. pm me if interested and I could shoot you some pics.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
i have a 3x9x40 VX II in silver I would sell. The scope is like brand new. $400 and its yours. Ill even throw in the camo rings i have for it.I'm in Calgary. pm me if interested and I could shoot you some pics.
Thanks anyway. WS has them on here brand new for $409...
Old 10-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Bushnell Trophy XLT is a really nice scope for the price. I think thay around the 160 mark for a 3x9x40
Old 10-12-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash Ryan View Post
Bushnell Trophy XLT is a really nice scope for the price. I think thay around the 160 mark for a 3x9x40
Hold it next to the VX II and you will see the difference. Yes it's more money. But it's worth the extra. Optics is one place where you generally get what you pay for.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Hold it next to the VX II and you will see the difference. Yes it's more money. But it's worth the extra. Optics is one place where you generally get what you pay for.
Then hold the 3-9x40 Conquest up to the VXII,and see which you prefer.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Then hold the 3-9x40 Conquest up to the VXII,and see which you prefer.
If you are implying that the differences are the same between ^ these two as they are between the bushnell and the VX II, I disagree. I have held both the Conquest and the VX II up side by side and the difference is noticeable but not astounding by any means. Couple that with the warranty depot right here in Alberta and I'll buy Leupold everytime, even though I have never had to use their warranty services.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:05 PM

It was once said " make a cheap gun shoot good -> install good scope"
It is also said " make a good gun shoot bad -> install cheap scope"
I have never met a shooter that was sorry for spending a little extra on glass.

With glass "You pay for what you get" any of the higher end units are good.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:11 PM

Contact Leupold Canada... I ordered a 4.5x14x50 in Silver that no one had in Canada... The guy called me right back and he got a hold of P & D and they had the scope there in a couple weeks... Bass Pro and Wholesale didnt care at all to order in...
Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
If you are implying that the differences are the same between ^ these two as they are between the bushnell and the VX II, I disagree. I have held both the Conquest and the VX II up side by side and the difference is noticeable but not astounding by any means.
The Bushnell trophy is less than half the price of the VXII,and the 3-9x40 Conquest can be purchased for as low as $477,which is very close to the price of the VXII.For the small difference in price,I would go with the Conquest.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
Contact Leupold Canada... I ordered a 4.5x14x50 in Silver that no one had in Canada... The guy called me right back and he got a hold of P & D and they had the scope there in a couple weeks... Bass Pro and Wholesale didnt care at all to order in...
Do you mean Korth Group? I thought they only did repairs... Google helped me find their contact info but nothing else for any other "Leupold Canada". Sorry to be needy, but would you happen to have the contact info for the guy you talked to?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Bushnell trophy is less than half the price of the VXII,and the 3-9x40 Conquest can be purchased for as low as $477,which is very close to the price of the VXII.For the small difference in price,I would go with the Conquest.
Do you know anything about the Zeiss warranty service? I was seriously considering the Conquest, but then I found a horrible review of their warranty service where they'd replaced some poor sod's scope with one that was half the price and told him to be glad he got anything at all. I think it was even on this site...

I know that one bad review shouldn't necessarily be the deciding factor, and who knows what the guy did to his scope, but how many other people have they screwed? I've read a LOT about Leupold service, and EVERYTHING I've read is good. I'd rather never need warranty service at all, but if I did I'd want to know I was going to get satisfaction rather than get screwed. And I don't know if they can service Zeiss in Canada or not?

Does anyone here have anything experience-based to say, either good or bad, about the Zeiss warranty service? Or the Leupold, for that matter?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:30 AM

A friend of mine sent 2 scopes, a Bushnell and a Leupold back for some minor maintenance on them as they weren't as sharp as they should have been. Both of which are at least 15 years old. Bushell and Leupold both did an excellent job and each performs like new again. The only difference was he got the Leupold back in 3 weeks and the Bushnell in 4 months.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Do you know anything about the Zeiss warranty service?
I had a Zeiss scope involved in a horse wreck.Some debris came loose in the scope and lodged on a lens.I sent it to Zeiss expecting to pay for repairs,but the scope was repaired and returned to me free of charge.There was no factory defect,and they didn't have to provide warranty,but they did.