Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-12-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Not so fast Traps.....in bow mode it actually calculates true ballistic distance but if I'm reading the literature right, in rifle mode it only gives you the angle and not the true ballistic distance? Is that not correct? I haven't used the 1600 but I have used the 1000 and 1200 and neither that I'm aware of calculates true ballistic range or show angle in rifle mode....only in bow mode to 99 yards. Perhaps the 1600 is different but not from the reading I've done but I stand to be corrected.

Virtually all decent range finders have various hold-over programs...nothing too exciting there.
You know it does only calculate the holdover on an object not the ballistic horizontal distance, my bad. The term true ballistic distance is somewhat misleading even though its accepted as being equivalent horizontal distance. The term ballistic encompasses so much more than just the horizontal distance. I guess if your a true long range shooter than true horizontal distance would be a better metric than holdover for making long range shots.

It does show the angle in rifle mode.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:06 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
You know it does only calculate the holdover on an object not the ballistic horizontal distance, my bad. The term true ballistic distance is somewhat misleading even though its accepted as being equivalent horizontal distance. The term ballistic encompasses so much more than just the horizontal distance. I guess if your a true long range shooter than true horizontal distance would be a better metric than holdover for making long range shots.

It does show the angle in rifle mode.
Tomato.....Tomato....either way it doesn't calculate the true horizontal or ballistic range in rifle mode....only bow mode to 99 yards. I think I started out by saying that the Leupold is the only rangefinder that I'm aware of that does calculate the true horizontal distance. It's still the only one I'm aware of that does.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
For some reason Newcon just hasn't lifted off the ground. I met the gent at the shot show and saw his product first hand even looked at carrying the product but just never got around to it. I guess the concern back then was reputation and quality. I didn't want to gamble on a product at the time.

IOR was another company I stayed away from hoping they would improve the quality. They were plagued with problems and they were not dirt cheap.

Hopefully the Newcon product is a good one.
Actually, the company has been around for quite some time, and appear very successful. Their products are used worldwide, but for some reason, they don't have much exposure in the sporting field, that I can see.

On a personal note, I have a LRB3000, and the quality seems to be good. With regards to animal-size targets, I've ranged cows at 1300+ yards, although a tripod is almost a must at those distances, at least for me.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
For clarity, magnification of 10X, the rangefinding capability (longest was 1858 yards) and espcecially the price at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of the above mentioned you can get into the Bushnell Fusion Arc's. From field testing 1000yards is a cake walk, these things can get 1500 yards on a consistent basis.
You can roll both your bino's and rangefinder into one for a price that is cheaper than buying the same quality as each one individually.
Unless you really want to shoot long range, why not buy a cheapy 4 or 6 or 800 yd unit that fits in your pocket and work your way closer until it will range what you want to look at. They will do the job quite nicely on rocks and trees & etc.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Unless you really want to shoot long range, why not buy a cheapy 4 or 6 or 800 yd unit that fits in your pocket and work your way closer until it will range what you want to look at. They will do the job quite nicely on rocks and trees & etc.
I don't want to hunt long range but I do want to target practice at long range. Its more for figuring out my stalk, target practice and to serve as my binoculars all rolled into one.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:07 PM

Cool

I don't currently intend on shooting long distances ( although the science and mathematics behind it is intriguing ) . I however, like many others think it would be invaluable for the stalk.

Years back on a pronghorn hunt I found myself quite unable to accurately judge distances medium or long. I suspect that without the context of trees, fences and the like in the setting that my eyes and mind have grown accustomed to, I was just unable to process it.

Maybe it's a lot to spend but I'm not going back down south for pronghorns without a good rangefinder. I am leaning toward the Leica 1600 at this point, unless I get convinced there's something better.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:12 PM

Swarovski's furthest is 1380 yards. on a vehicle. fast ,reliable and life time warrenty. cool holster also.