Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-12-2010, 10:37 AM

Default Secret door for gun or storage room

Anyone got some ideas on the best way to make a hidden sliding door?

I want something like a pocket door (nothing that swings open) but must be flush when closed, but be able to somehow to slide into a wall, or even behind it. Think of how a mini van door closes flush on the outside, that's what I want.

Okay, let's hear all the crazy ideas.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM

http://hiddenpassageway.com/
Old 10-12-2010, 08:42 PM

I have One!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAg3XkFTUBA
Old 10-13-2010, 12:08 AM

The magic fridge....LOL

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 10-13-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Anyone got some ideas on the best way to make a hidden sliding door?

I want something like a pocket door (nothing that swings open) but must be flush when closed, but be able to somehow to slide into a wall, or even behind it. Think of how a mini van door closes flush on the outside, that's what I want.

Okay, let's hear all the crazy ideas.

Good question. I've been wondering the same. I have a house with an "L" shaped foundation. My Man-cave which includes my firearms is in the ahhhh......_ part. So if I could hide the doorway, from the inside it would not appear unusual. If you went outside and counted the windows, you would know. I've always thought you might need to do such a thing with panelling to hide any cracks with a transition pc or something when it's closed.

I hope somebody's got some good ideas. I hooped herre at work with you-tube, so may have to come back on and look when I get back home.

Just for interest sake I'll tell you how I addressed the window and door. I had bars made out of 1" stainless pipe that telescoped onto 3/4" stainless pipe and I put a pc of 1/2" rd bar (stainless of course) inside. Anyone trying to saw through the bars would hit the rd bar inside and the saw would spin on it.

The door is solid core with a dead bolt that is bolted through the door onto a pc of stainless backing plate and then the screw-heads have been stripped.

Safe storage has always been a concern so I have done the best that I can to store my firearms. Also...my wife does not have a P.A.L. so she does not have a key to this room. Sorry if I sound paranoid, but with the way things are, better safe than sorry.

Anyway, sorta went off on a tangent, but I think it goes hand in hand with the hidden door idea.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:43 AM

You'd be suprised about the number of 'panic rooms' or hidden rooms that are here in Calgary.

I've only ever done one, with two hidden doors concealing a spiral staircase from one level to another. Very creative millwork.

http://hideadoor.com/

http://www.hiddendoors.com/galleryThumb.asp?category=13

http://www.hiddendoorsdirect.com/

http://www.hiddendoorsdirect.com/hid...or-photos.html
Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 PM

Those links are good but they are all hinged based systems with book cases and such. I want a sliding door (pocket) door where on the outside wall it becomes flush with the walls on either side. This means the door needs to pop-in somehow probably on a track system.

ACKLEY ABE - I too am planning an L foundation room with a hidden door. The door will not look like a door, it would be part of an unfinished wall (drywall & 2x4 studs). You could finish the wall or go with wood panelling, but of course the edges can not be taped so in my opinion better to leave it with an "unfinished" look.

Last edited by bluecheese; 10-13-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM

Things are best hidden in plain sight. Cheapy gun safes are fit for keeping kids out but won't stop a determined thief for long.

I built a hidden compartment into my workbench to store my guns, and a thief on a time table would be hard pressed to find it. My guess is that he would steal all my appliances or power tools first and run.

For any kids - out of sight is out of mind.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:37 PM

Guy shows up out of nowhere.... we have never heard of him before... and all he wants is instruction on how to build a hidden room (that the police won't find?), and he wants to buy a Ruger mini 14..... hmmmmmmmm

Old 10-13-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Guy shows up out of nowhere.... we have never heard of him before... and all he wants is instruction on how to build a hidden room (that the police won't find?), and he wants to buy a Ruger mini 14..... hmmmmmmmm

I suppose you wear a tin foil hat too? Because they don't rust.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
I suppose you wear a tin foil hat too? Because they don't rust.
My experience suggests it's the guys who want secret rooms that wear the tinfoil hats...

Anyways, just teasing you man.