Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 AM

Default Beretta Extrema 2 vs Benelli SBE2

Want to hear from the pros...after a fun weekend of duck hunting with the kids I've decided that a new scatter gun is in order. I'm a little too anal with my Beretta O/U...she's to pretty to use in the swamps and sloughs. I thought I was set on a Benelli but seem to be starting to lean towards back to the Beretta. Any thoughts...Pros & Cons...
Old 10-12-2010, 01:38 PM

Well I don't own either, but I know people that own each. The friend with the Beretta has problems with the extractor roll pin breaking. It also likes to launch spent shotshell hulls over 30'. It's the only complaint he has for the gun, as for the Benelli, I was lent a Super Nova on the weekend, albiet a pump it's a nice gun set up very much like my Wingmaster 870, fits & holds well and a nice easy moving action.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:04 PM

After handling both in the store, I opted for the Benneli SBE2 as it seemed to fit and handle much better. They are also a very rugged gun and it has been functioning very well in the dirt and cold temps. It doesn't matter whether your shooting 3-1/2" or 2-3/4" trap loads. I have never had a jam or anything of the sort. So far it has been bullet proof and I love it.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:06 PM

When I was guiding there were far more issues with the SBE II's jamming and having other issues than the Extrema II's.

I bought the Extrema and I love it. I have only had one issue with it and found that it was my lack of cleaning one certain part that lead to the issue. I now take an extra 30 seconds and I am good to go. I can shoot loads from 1 oz and up with no issues.I can't remember if I have found 7/8 oz loads or not.

When the boys with Benelli's came in from a morning shoot they would break out the cleaning kits and strip the gun down to clean it up before they went to breakfast. The same after an evening shoot. The fellas that didn't clean between shoots were subject to issues. There were more problems with pea chaff than barley if I recall correctly.

The Beretta boys came in and had breakfast, took a nap and caught some TV before the evening shoots. Far less than half the problems with the Beretta's than Benelli's.

I am sure the Benelli fans will have a different answer than I however. It usually starts with "I can strip my gun in less than 5 minutes..." So can I. I just don't have to.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb View Post
Want to hear from the pros...after a fun weekend of duck hunting with the kids I've decided that a new scatter gun is in order. I'm a little too anal with my Beretta O/U...she's to pretty to use in the swamps and sloughs. I thought I was set on a Benelli but seem to be starting to lean towards back to the Beretta. Any thoughts...Pros & Cons...
Both Great Gun's,i'd go with the Beretta over the bennelli,however if you want the Fastest cycling semi auto in the world,you got to buy a Fabarm.Italian made,about the same Price as a Beretta.Plus almost everyone Runs a Beretta,Nice to have Something Unique!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:43 PM

I have the Extrema 2 bought it last year and have a season and a half under my belt. Jam's the odd time with trap loads but have yet to have a waterfowl load jam and I have been shooting everything from 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2. Was happy with the factory optima choke tubes when patterning as well pretty much exclusively use the Improved Cylinder for my hunting purposes.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:10 PM

I had an Extrema 2 and it was awesome....only reason I sold it was because at this point in my life I dont have time for waterfowl. But when I do it will be the shotgun I buy to do it with. I shot it a fair bit and never had a single issue with it.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:47 PM

I think they are both fairly reliable guns. A fellow member at our gun club brought out his new Extrema and after trying it out on the skeet field I decided it had the worst trigger I had ever tried. He returned it.