Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-06-2020, 08:27 PM

Ordering from any leupold dealer is the only way or find one in stock somewhere to ship.

With leupolds warranty, you can find a used one and if its broke, they fix or replace for free.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2020, 08:27 PM
Banned

Just get ahold of your local Leupold dealer and order it. Korth in Okotoks likely has in stock and will ship to them. Korth is the distributor. Deal with Canadian tire McLeod trail south if in Calgary imo.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:21 PM

So I called a couple shops who didn’t have a quality 6x scope and were not real interested in ordering one for me.
I contacted prophet river who didn’t stock it but were happy to get it since I wanted a specific one. (Leupold fx3 6x42)

Just a bump for Clay and the staff at Prophet River.
Now waiting for my scope.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
So I called a couple shops who didn’t have a quality 6x scope and were not real interested in ordering one for me.
I contacted prophet river who didn’t stock it but were happy to get it since I wanted a specific one. (Leupold fx3 6x42)

Just a bump for Clay and the staff at Prophet River.
Now waiting for my scope.

Clay has been kicking butt on the other stores for 20 years. For the life of me I cannot figure out why the others have such a problem ordering stuff in for a guy and doing it happily. Seems like if you are a regular and well known service is great, everyday guy gets treated poorly. I have seen it in more than a few shops, I have even asked to owners I knew well what gives and never got a satisfactory answer.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Clay has been kicking butt on the other stores for 20 years. For the life of me I cannot figure out why the others have such a problem ordering stuff in for a guy and doing it happily. Seems like if you are a regular and well known service is great, everyday guy gets treated poorly. I have seen it in more than a few shops, I have even asked to owners I knew well what gives and never got a satisfactory answer.
Top shelf store run by s top shelf dude for sure !
Just got a parcel in the mail from Clay with some nice pocket knives for door prizes for our Northern Steel match tomorrow!
Cat
Old 10-11-2020, 10:02 PM

I put a Leupold 2-10X44 VX5HD on my farm gun, which is a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56, it sits on 2x most of the time, but I like the options.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:23 PM

I love a plain 3x9-40mm on a hunting rifle
Old 10-12-2020, 08:56 PM

When comes to the "overscoped" discussion I've always wondered if a guy has a 4-12X on his hunting rifle and leaves it on 4X while hunting is he "overscoped"? Or is he only "overscoped" if he turns the power up? Physical size of said scope not withstanding.
And I've always felt fixed power scopes were kind of like a truck with one gear.
Although I think a lot of hunters are "overgunned".......flame suit on
Old 10-13-2020, 05:03 AM
Gone Hunting

I envy you guys.

Until very recently I couldn't afford a top quality scope, often I had to make do with hand me downs from family member with not a lot more resources then I have.

So all of my scopes are entry level scopes, and most have been disappointments.

I have a half decent 4x Bushnell on a 1415 Anschutz and a old Weaver 4x on a Remington Speedmaster .22 but all the other scopes I have just don't hold zero.

My point being I don't know a lot about scopes.

To me, over scoped is anything that makes acquiring the target more difficult then open sights. So for me that's anything over 4x

I don't see others choices as wrong, I only see them as not workable for me.

I don't like variable scopes because the few I've tried couldn't hold zero.
But it's been a lot of years since I used one and I know they could be good now. I just am not comfortable taking a chance on something that has disappointed me in the past.

Other then those two things, I'm pretty much out of my comfort zone with this topic.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-13-2020, 01:00 PM
Banned

there's an element to this topic beyond the magnification range also, like having a 3 lb telescope on a trim walking hunting rifle, is over scoped on size and weight alone, usually coincides with having way more magnification than needed for hunting situations

there are some options out there, usually from leupold, that can keep the weight/sizes in check for hunting along with hunting magnification ranges but some models blend size/weight of hunting with more target oriented magnification ranges

you can ring a 10" gong with surprising regularity at 550 yards with a 4x scope and i'm sure the iron sight .308 1000 yard guys make that look lame

although it does feel better to have more magnification on game when you do have the time to turn it up a bit, i don't think i could put more than 1 lb of scope on a rifle as i'm hunter only, i tried it a couple times but always went back down to the sub 1 lb scopes for weight and size
Old 10-14-2020, 06:53 AM

I have everything from 2 - 7 x on the low end to 6.5 - 20 x on the high end, most are in the 3 - 9 or 4 - 16 range though, I can't remember ever shooting an animal with a scope cranked up past 10x.

A number of years ago I got caught up in the high magnification crazz and bought a Zeiss 6.5 - 20 for my 300 RUM, to much scope and I hate the target turrets when hunting, am always checking to make sure they are set at zero and didn't get accidentally moved, and the 6.5 on the low end is to much when calling moose / elk and it's in tight, am going to change out that scope, but that's really the only one I have that seems like it's to much.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.