Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 AM

Default Ford diesel troubles, need help. The results are in

Got a question for anyone who is a mechanic. Was sitting at work lastnight idling to stay warm. Decided to wander around for a bit so I shut off the truck. When I got back in and tried to start it it wouldnt star, just kept turning over a seconds longer than normal so I turned the key back and tried again, this time nothing. My tuner is telling me I have dtc P0231-Fuel pump secondary circut low. So I cleared the code and tried to start again. It made half a crank and then code P0232-Fuel pump secondary circut high, and P0627 Fuel pump control circut A open. So cleared them again and now it wont even turn over. Checked relay with my A/c relay still nothing, fuses are all good. Tried to ask ford in town what the codes meant all they sayed was "bring it in and we will have a look". Problem is my truck is 180km out of town siting at a wellsite right now. Any suggestions would be a help. BTW its an 08 6.4L and the fuel pump only has about 40,000km on it after the origanal crapped out.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:31 AM

If you post an e-mail I can send you a detailed explanation and troubleshooting info (the same as the Ford tech would use). You need to concentrate on the P0627 code, the other 2 are just a secondary code due to the main problem.
Check your inertia fuel shutoff switch also, it should be near the glove compartment.

Hunter
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 AM

I totaly forgat about the fuel switch, i will give a try tonight when i go to work, im open to any ideas on this one lol, a tow truck out there could be pricey. Probably be better to get a lowboy winch truck out, at least they only charge by the hour.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 AM

Check your e-mail. I hope it will help.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the info, hopefully i can figure it out. The bad part is it is -25 -30 at night, makes the figures cold pretty quick lol
Old 03-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Print out the troubleshooting and go through on it. Take some notes and just do whatever is easy for you.
It could be only the relay, but since the pump stopped to supply fuel the shutdown switch was activated and even with the A/C relay it could not start again.
I'd leave the A/C relay in the FP socket or jump the #87 and #30 pins with a piece of cable and reset the inertia switch, than try to start it. I hope the battery has enough juice left in it.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:25 AM

I got my day shift guy to hook the booster cables to it today, he will be idling so figured I would make use of it.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:45 PM

Good idea! Let me know what happened. I hope it will run and all you need is a FP relay.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:24 PM

No warranty?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-03-2011, 04:59 PM

onle engine left, the rest of it ended 275km ago
Old 03-03-2011, 06:23 PM

check your battery connections. you have no idea how many times we have seen that at work.

KISS (keep it simple, stupid)

good luck
Old 03-03-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berjerkin View Post
check your battery connections. you have no idea how many times we have seen that at work.

KISS (keep it simple, stupid)

good luck
berjerkin, are you a mechanic??

Hunter
Old 03-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
onle engine left, the rest of it ended 275km ago
I am sure if you fight hard enough they will at least give you good will, you pay the parts they pay the labour or vise versa.

Also depends how good your dealer is regarding customer service,

but from what your describing it sounds like engine anyways, should cover all diesel componets too

Good luck to you
Old 03-03-2011, 07:57 PM

one thing to think about is these vehicles are hard enough to work on in the shop let alone out in the field.i would recommend getting towed in.if you have flow charts to diag these are only a guide and not gospel.if its not turning over its probally battery related.as for the codes check for loose wiring or connectors at the pump.i dont work on fords but on chrysler .is the pump oem or aftermarket? possibly looking at another pump but if so i would be asking the question why?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun-Ter View Post
berjerkin, are you a mechanic??

Hunter
journeyman H.D.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:35 PM

could be jelled fuel??
Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrydude View Post
could be jelled fuel??
Old 03-03-2011, 09:43 PM

What rig are you on? If it's close I could make a sales call and come look at it.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 PM

So, after a couple nights of laying on the ground here is what i know. I dont know where top find PCM-B connection. There is power to all places that need power, all fuses and diodes are good. Removed fuel pump and tried it using just wires straight from batteries and pump runs? But fuel pump connection has power and wont run pump? Tried disconnecting batteries, codes stayed. New fuel shut of swicth $45, broke it trying to take connection apart. And when Ford says your part will be in tomorrow, they mean 4 days from the day you ordered it lol. Hopefully new pump and switch will solve problems. If now does anyone have a car hauler with a winch on it they could rent for a day or two.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 PM

did you sort it out???
Old 03-06-2011, 09:54 PM

Did you try the fuel pump reset switch under the right passenger footwell?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Banned

Default which fuel pump

Which fuel pump did you replace already? Almost sounds like it's the high pressure fuel pump. Located under the turbos at the back of the engine. Take cab off, pull turbos, etc etc etc.. huge pain...hopefully it's something simpler than that. When was the last time you had the egr valve done/??
Old 03-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Ok, so its the low pressure pump I changed out about 40,000km ago. The fuel reset switch is busted in about 15 pieces because the wrench i was using to take it off to check it with my meter slipped and hit the connection. There is power, 12v + or - ,on the fuel pump connection, harness side, but pump wont run. If you take 2 wires directly from battery, the pump will run. Would it be possable to run the truck like this? never had a chance to try as i busted the switch. And I have never had the egr valves done, how often does it need to be done, i only have 100,255km.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

Default egr

From the info it doesn't sound like the egr valve. They can last a couple hundred thousand kms or 40000kms. If you do lots of idling in the cold they will start sticking sooner, than if you run your truck hot.

Here's hoping you got her fixed. those 6.4's can be a headache when the computer senses something ain't right.

So since your low press fuel pump works when hooked up to the battery, but not up to its harness, is it possible the computer is not running it because there is something else wrong with the truck?? I'm not a mechanic at all by the way...just have more than a passing knowledge when it comes to spending money on a 6.4. lol.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:05 PM

i know that on the 6 L engines there are multiple compoents that are grounded throught the engine ecm. that is what it sounds like is happening on your truck. check the fuses for the battery and ignition wires of the engine ecm. if they are ok, your ecm may be toast. the ground for the fuel pump may not be activating if the ecm has no power, or if there is an internal fault.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berjerkin View Post
journeyman H.D.
Sorry, no means to hijack the thread, but I have a question and you might be able to help me. Do you know if an ASE Master Tech certification from the US is equal to a Canadian Red Seal certification? If I move to Canada do I need to take another test or my existing ASE is good to go?
I know someone can take the ASE tests in Canada, I just don't know if it equals to a Red Seal cert. This is the highest someone can get in the US. I did try to search the web but couldn't find info on it. Could you share your thoughts?
I will appreciate it.

Hunter
Old 03-07-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun-Ter View Post
Sorry, no means to hijack the thread, but I have a question and you might be able to help me. Do you know if an ASE Master Tech certification from the US is equal to a Canadian Red Seal certification? If I move to Canada do I need to take another test or my existing ASE is good to go?
I know someone can take the ASE tests in Canada, I just don't know if it equals to a Red Seal cert. This is the highest someone can get in the US. I did try to search the web but couldn't find info on it. Could you share your thoughts?
I will appreciate it.

Hunter
pm sent
Old 03-08-2011, 08:58 AM

Default 6.4 problems

Last year on the way to work my 6.4 died. Wouldn't turn over or anything. Turned out that the main cable from the battery to the ECM had been rubbing on the back of the engine & grounded out shutting the truck down completely.

The cable was cleaned & sealed. Tied up away from the engine & I haven't had any trouble with it since.

Might be worth a look.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 AM

So, after almost a week of trying to diagnose and fix my truck I have reached the end. Gonna take it to ford. Tried everything I could figure, new fuses, new relays, new fuel pump, which I will be returning shortly unless someone wants to buy it,new fuel shut off switch and many long hours laying on my back in the snow and cold. Got advice from mechanics and electricians, but I guess somethings have to be left to the experts. Just hoping it is something engine related as it the only warrenty I have left, if not there might be a few guns for sale here shortly, or an 08 f350 that needs some work lol. Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:06 PM

let us know the outcome, i'm very curious...