Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-14-2009, 02:33 PM

Default 414 Antlered Moose

I haven't hunted in 414 before but I decided to out my draw in for there as it is close to Calgary. What is the Moose population like there? Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Old 07-23-2009, 06:55 PM

Default 527

I had seen that you had mentioned WMU 527 in an earlier post. My Dad, Wife and I all got Drawn for Bull Moose and my wife got a Cow elk Draw. We will be heading up there in mid november. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry but I have no info on your WMU

Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 07:18 PM

414 is thick, good luck in there and don't get lost. Hunting up and down the creeks is probably your best bet.

Bow... what was your lowest pri for 527 and did you's all put in separate or as a group?
Thx!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:21 PM

Hunting 414 for moose is tough....there are some good bulls out there but man oh man you can work hard to find a bull at times....
Old 08-11-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Hunting 414 for moose is tough....there are some good bulls out there but man oh man you can work hard to find a bull at times....
Good to hear there are some bulls in there! I don't mind a tough hunt as I live very close to the area so I can come back again and again!

I am going to go scout out the area this week and I will try not to get lost!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Shot mine in 414 years ago along the cutline (road) that runs parallel to the North Burnt downstream of where the bridge crosses, before you get to the first creek crossing. If you look closely there's a good number of small trails intersecting the line. Might serve you well to do some calling around those.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
Shot mine in 414 years ago along the cutline (road) that runs parallel to the North Burnt downstream of where the bridge crosses, before you get to the first creek crossing. If you look closely there's a good number of small trails intersecting the line. Might serve you well to do some calling around those.
Thanks for the tip. I will check that area out!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:11 PM

deleted Grizz
Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 PM

If you do spend any time in 414, the grizz population is getting pretty thick in there, so take extra precaution. Friend just rode in there a couple weeks ago scouting a camp and he said there was sign everywhere. I have really noticed there getting to be a lot more sign way back up in there the last couple years also, rarely am I back there I don't see at least a couple grizz.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
If you do spend any time in 414, the grizz population is getting pretty thick in there, so take extra precaution. Friend just rode in there a couple weeks ago scouting a camp and he said there was sign everywhere. I have really noticed there getting to be a lot more sign way back up in there the last couple years also, rarely am I back there I don't see at least a couple grizz.
Thanks for that tip! What do you recommend taking with you when scouting pre-hunting season? Can a rifle be brought for protection?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270 View Post
Thanks for that tip! What do you recommend taking with you when scouting pre-hunting season? Can a rifle be brought for protection?
I wouldn't even consider going in without one if you are hiking in there.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't even consider going in without one if you are hiking in there.
Is it legal to take a rifle? or does it have to be a shotgun?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Is it legal to take a rifle? or does it have to be a shotgun?
Personally for just bear protection I would use a shotgun. If concerned, fold up a couple targets, put in your pocket, and now you are just headed out to a nice quiet spot in the green area to pattern your shotgun
Old 08-13-2009, 08:36 AM

On that same trip when I shot that moose, we had a grizz chase our truck up an old fire road. All I could see in the rearview was the top of his arse. To this day, I still wish I had slammed on the brakes to see what would have happened.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
On that same trip when I shot that moose, we had a grizz chase our truck up an old fire road. All I could see in the rearview was the top of his arse. To this day, I still wish I had slammed on the brakes to see what would have happened.
I am starting to get a little freaked out now! During hunting season, do you think carrying a shotgun in addition to a rifle is overkill? Are there good quad trails in that area?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:16 PM

Rifle and bear spray is fine.
If you never experimented with BS before maybe buy an extra can and try it out.
Some places will give you a discount on it if it's near expiry date.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I am starting to get a little freaked out now! During hunting season, do you think carrying a shotgun in addition to a rifle is overkill? Are there good quad trails in that area?
Don't be freaked out, we went and hunted the same area where the grizz was that same evening and felt entirely safe.

The way I've always thought of bears, especially grizzlies is that they're like dogs you don't know. Give them room, show them respect, and don't startle them, and you'll be fine. Oh, and don't carry a pocket full of hot dogs.

Yes, there are a lot of quad trails around the North Burnt. Right after you cross the river, there is that cutline (road) that I was talking about. Unload the quad there and head down it. After you cross the river twice, you'll drive up a BIG hill. Just after you reach the top, there is a trail on the right hand side that leads back into some really nice cutblocks. At least they were really nice 8 years ago, I don't know how much they've grown up since. OR, if you continue straight on the main trail, it'll go thru a big meadow, where I've seen moose and deer. Drive past the meadow, you'll come to a T, hang right and head up another big, very rocky hill. There are some cutblocks back in there as well.

Let me know if you run into any elk in your travels.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, there are a lot of quad trails around the North Burnt. Right after you cross the river, there is that cutline (road) that I was talking about. Unload the quad there and head down it. After you cross the river twice, you'll drive up a BIG hill. Just after you reach the top, there is a trail on the right hand side that leads back into some really nice cutblocks. At least they were really nice 8 years ago, I don't know how much they've grown up since. OR, if you continue straight on the main trail, it'll go thru a big meadow, where I've seen moose and deer. Drive past the meadow, you'll come to a T, hang right and head up another big, very rocky hill. There are some cutblocks back in there as well.
You will want to be awful careful where you are quadding in the north burnt. It is all pretty much shut down except for a couple trails to the south in hunter valley. And any of the guys out there see you quadding in there, they WILL report you.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:51 PM

There is a pamphlet with map, titled Ghost Forest land use zone, that covers that area , listing permitted trails.
Grizz
Old 08-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
There is a pamphlet with map, titled Ghost Forest land use zone, that covers that area , listing permitted trails.
Grizz
Thanks, I forgot to mention that map. I think I would rather face one of the many grizzly bears in that area versus getting caught quadding by a certain outfitters camp in the north burnt
Old 08-14-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I forgot to mention that map. I think I would rather face one of the many grizzly bears in that area versus getting caught quadding by a certain outfitters camp in the north burnt
You mean, when he's not trucking his camp in ?
Grizz
Old 08-15-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
You mean, when he's not trucking his camp in ?
Grizz
I think it's been wagon only for the last 3 years now.