Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-14-2008, 01:39 PM

Default Sheep Hunting/Scouting?

How many of you guys go out scouting and or sheep hunting by yourselves? If so what kind of safety messures do you take?

I am in the position that if I really want to get out regularly I am going to just have to go by myself. Not to many of my friends hunt and the ones that do it is not always easy to be free at the same time. I am seriously considering getting one of those spot trackers, But thought I'd see what the rest of you guys do.

Thanks

Rust
Old 06-14-2008, 02:04 PM

I am out and about fairly regularly throughout the season. I usually let someone know where I am going, at least the general area. Always take more food than needed, gps, survival supplies etc and my 300WM.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:53 PM

I hunt by my myself 90% of the time. I just tell someone where I am and when I will be back. Driving to your sheep spot has more inherent danger than hiking in sheep country.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:54 PM

rusty buy a iridum sat phone and it takes all teh stress of being alone away, if you get lonely you pick the phone up and make a call,you get into trouble you call, you need help you call, it was like a mountian lifted off my shoulders once we bought the phones....not only that but you get to call your brothers once the ram is down,hehehhe
Old 06-14-2008, 05:00 PM

I'm out alone in sheep country by my self as a rule. I leave a note as to where I'm going, draw a little map if I have to. I don't worry about it too much. You takes y'r water, and y'r food, and some first aid, and decent rain gear, and y'r firestarters, and y'r knife and y'r gun....

Things may get pretty ugly in the slip-fall-break scenario... I've been contemplating an emergency beacon... but definitely not a sat phone.

Frans
Old 06-14-2008, 05:14 PM

Default sat phone

I use a global star sat phone
Old 06-14-2008, 10:56 PM

I have had more success hunting by myself and am more aware of my surroundings and seem to do well on elk. It is a smart idea to hunt with a partner all the time in the mountains and be in top notch physical condition. Having a small trip and fall could be serious in the back country when you are by yourself. Been very close to bears on a couple of occasions. If you hunt by yourself do every thing more slowly. Cell phones work in some areas in the mountains.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawken View Post
I use a global star sat phone
Hey hawken and gunslinger,
What kind of prices are you looking at for the unit and a pay-as-you-talk plan? websites dont seem to mention prices.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:28 PM

Default sat

1100$ for teh phone and 200$ for a small plan per year
Old 06-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Banned

spot messenger, 150 bucks for the unit and 99 bucks a year...i'm gonna try one out as i'm just getting in the mountain thing and my free time will come all of a sudden so finding a partner won't be easy most of the time anyhow...shucks ......anyhow, i'll be testing it out all the time, this one is as much for the wife as it is for me....so by fall i should have a report on how well these things work...will be nice to be able to call for help if needed
Old 06-16-2008, 08:29 AM

Hey SC,
I was pretty intrigued with the SPOT messenger as well.
Check out these reviews though,
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...ite Messenger/

They are not good reviews and sound like people in the same terrian we are on.
I too wanted to get one for sound of mind for my wife. But if you send a signal, you have no idea if she got the signal, which may be worse than not having sent one at all.
I contacted globalstar about this and they said better versions are on the horizon, so i'm going to wait until they come out with one that either is 2-way or confirmation that message was sent.
sat. phone is out of my budget, so not too many choices, but maybe the mountains won't be as thrilling if the fear is gone.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:20 PM

Well I ordered my SPOT tracker this morn.... Hope it works ok... I talked to a guy in B.C. who has one. said He used it 20 + times and it worked every time. But you have to leave it on for 10-20 min with the face/logo up.... SO I will post up how well it works when I get it.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Banned

it will be worth a try but look forward to improved technology and confirmation etc....would be nice to see its capability combined with your gps unit to cut down the gadget count a bit....build a phone in at some point and get the prices down etc. i'm sure will be available at some point too....one can hope anyhow....will give this a shot in the meantime and test it out on every hike/scout etc....
Old 08-15-2009, 10:57 PM

anyone have scouting pictures of the game the hope to harvest? would love to see some to get my day dreams going,
Old 08-16-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
anyone have scouting pictures of the game the hope to harvest? would love to see some to get my day dreams going,
I tend to "shoot" or "kill" my game, not "harvest" it. I didn't grow it, so I'm not harvesting it.

But apart from that, no pictures. Haven't been out nearly as much as I had hoped to.

Frans
Old 08-16-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
I tend to "shoot" or "kill" my game, not "harvest" it. I didn't grow it, so I'm not harvesting it.

But apart from that, no pictures. Haven't been out nearly as much as I had hoped to.

Frans
I harvest all my big game,however I shoot my ducks!!!!
Old 08-16-2009, 12:27 PM

I have a Iridium sat phone and love it. Piece of mind if I get into trouble and never a problem getting a call thru. Talked to a lot of people about the Global star and they are horrible for getting a link out. Maybe 15minutes in a hour that it will work and thats a big maybe.
I also have and carry a SPOT for back up and have tried it on several times in lots of locations. Canyons , heavy bush , etc and it has always sent the message thru.You definately need to leave it face up for 20 minutes but it works .
Alot of the areas I frequent are remote and not much chance of seeing other people if you need help so this combination gives everyone piece of mind.