Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-10-2009, 05:25 PM

Default Backpack Alpine hunting

What do you guys try and have your sleeping arrangements come in at for weight? Tent, sleeping bag, and pad.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-10-2009, 05:27 PM

my tent is right around 3 pounds and pad and bag weigh about 3 pounds
Old 08-10-2009, 05:47 PM

Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 = 4lbs
Marmot Helium = 1.2lbs
Thermarest = ???

Been toying with some tarps/bivy's that may cut 1 - 2 lb's off.

tm
Old 08-10-2009, 06:28 PM

yea i have been thinking about the bivy as well but what do u do when the turns to sh**. its nice to read a book or have a smoke and sit up you cant inside a bivy thats the only thing holding me back from gettin one
Old 08-10-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
my tent is right around 3 pounds and pad and bag weigh about 3 pounds
What tent do you use?

-Billy Molls
Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM

I'm thinking the bivy itself would be awesome when the crap hits.....but too small. There is some nice 2 mans but they weigh what a 2 man tent does so I'd go tent.....but a 2 man tent is too small for 2 guys......

Sooooo, I'm thinking of having one made that would be based loosely on a Kifaru Supertarp and incorporating a vestibule type front. Set it up with trekking poles/ties/stakes/rocks. It would be large......like 12x20. Good for 2 guys/gear and my dog

Know someone to contact about making something like that?? I was thinking Kifaru or Titanium Goat.

tm
Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 PM

I went with the Tarptent Scarp 1 at about 2 3/4 lbs, the Western Mountaineering Antelope Gore WS down bag at 2 3/4 lbs, and the Thermorest Prolite Plus pad at 1 1/2 lbs. I can hardly wait to try them now.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:14 PM

I gotta bail right now but I'm on nights tomorrow so I'll have some time if'n anyone else wants to hang for a bit....I'll be on all night

I'd love to chat about this.....I've given it a lot of thought over the last year but I haven't figured out what I want to do......just can't seem to pull the trigger

All input would be appreciatted.

tm
Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 PM

Default hammok

buddy a mine took me hunting last year and he had a lightweight hammock made of parachute like material and he strung a tarp over that and he put a bed roll in the hammok the hammok and tarp weigh almost nothing
so i bought one for this year its good as long as youre in the trees
not sure how to spell hammok hammock ?
haha
Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I'm thinking the bivy itself would be awesome when the crap hits.....but too small. There is some nice 2 mans but they weigh what a 2 man tent does so I'd go tent.....but a 2 man tent is too small for 2 guys......

Sooooo, I'm thinking of having one made that would be based loosely on a Kifaru Supertarp and incorporating a vestibule type front. Set it up with trekking poles/ties/stakes/rocks. It would be large......like 12x20. Good for 2 guys/gear and my dog

Know someone to contact about making something like that?? I was thinking Kifaru or Titanium Goat.

tm

You can try contacting these guys - http://www.outdoorspirit.ca/ - they have a full on shop for making, and repairing outdoors equipment. They are also one of the distributors in Calgary for Integral Design. IMO they'd be worth a call.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:07 PM

one of the slickest setups I saw was a guy who took a "shangri-la 4" 4-man "tent"and stitched in some stove-jack material. Then used a 2L (either two or four, can't remember) coffee can as a stove.

For the chimney, he used a roll of lightweight tin, rolled up like a thing of toilet paper for transport, and rolled up "long-ways" for when the chimney was set up. Used a couple hose clamps to keep the thing sealed.

I think the whole thing would maybe cost $250 if you could get a good price on the shangri-la tent.

Oh, and I should add that my "sleeping" setup probably weighs more than it should. I carry a two-man MEC TGV 4-season tent. I'm paranoid about having a decent place to crash if mountain weather hits, so I don't mind packing it. If I want to go ultralite, I just take the rain fly. This tent weights about 6lbs according to the MEC website.

For sleeping, I've got a surplus Canadian Forces down bag that probably weighs 2-3lbs, and I use a cheap foamie for a sleeping pad. Never have to worry about it popping.

I'll stop being lazy and get the scale out and weigh these later...

Last edited by hansol; 08-10-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 PM

I picked up the Mutha Hubba tent made by MSR for this years sheep hunt there is suppose to be three of us. This tent weighs 6.83 lbs. My sleeping bag is a army issue down inside liner and weighs 3lbs and I don't know what the thermorest weighs.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
What tent do you use?
i use the cabelas xpg ultralight 1 man i can fit my whole pack inside and still cook inside if i need too, mind you im not a big dude. my one budie rocks a big agnies and he likes it, i dont think it weighs anymore than mine. i will try to find a pic
Old 08-10-2009, 09:29 PM

ive done some solo hiking/hunting with a bivy and other times with tent.

The Bivy's from integral design are great and weigh about a pound and half....easiest thing to do is set a sil tarp over head...then if weather gets bad you can still sit up read or have that drink and a smoke. carry a sythetic bag so if it gets wet theres lots of insulation value left (down is usless when wet) and a 3/4 thermarest for your cheeks to rest on. Carry all you need for 3 days or so in a 50L or less backpack like a Arcteryx Bora 50 that can easily put all the weight of your pack on your hips and keeps all your gear dry.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 PM

I have the big agnes SL1 tent - 2 1/2 lbs
BA insulated air core pad - 1 1/2 lbs
Marmot helium bag - 2 lbs

all up I'm right at 6 lbs even pretty much.

Timbo - how do you get an animal out in a 50L or less pack with gear?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7MM Mike View Post
I
Timbo - how do you get an animal out in a 50L or less pack with gear?
Here is how.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 PM

Last time I packed out there was no way I was getting my entire camp/gear plus all edible meat with cape and horns in my 85L pack. I'll have to try leaving my board games at home next time...
Old 08-12-2009, 09:09 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7MM Mike View Post
Last time I packed out there was no way I was getting my entire camp/gear plus all edible meat with cape and horns in my 85L pack. I'll have to try leaving my board games at home next time...
If those other people hunting that valley had of been half decent folks they'd have helped you pack that ram out....
Old 08-12-2009, 09:59 PM

Default total pack weight

I have my pack all packed again and this time it comes in at 57 lbs I will be able to shed about 7lbs as my partner is packing the food and I'm packing the tent. I could cut weight in so many places but I already blew my budget this year.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 PM

I also use a big agness seedhouse 2, MEC -7?sleeping bag and 3/4 thermarest
Old 08-13-2009, 12:21 AM

timbojones, what is the condensation like with the bivy setup you are using?
Cam
Old 08-13-2009, 07:30 AM

Just ordered a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1, Should come in at a smit over one kilo with the additional "footprint". At that it even has a little vestibule. For sleeping bag I'm (still) heavy, my budget is blown too; A Wiggy's bag, and a regular foam pad.

Plans are starting to form! Sheep season is getting closer!

Frans
Old 08-13-2009, 09:37 PM

Tundra Monkey and I went this year and came in at the just under 60lb range on each pack.
I carried :
Kifaru Longhunter guide pack
Cabellas XPG lightweight 3 man tent- lots of room for 2 guys
Thermorest full / ultralight
Mountain Hardware Phantom 0 bag- a bit heavy for the temps but my budget ran out for another one for warm weather.
Wiggys - Cagoule for wet weather
Wiggys - full leg waders for the deeper steams
Nikon Monarch 1200 range finder
Leupold 12-40x 60 scope
11 days worth of Mountain house dehydrated , instant porage ,etc
first aid kit , Sat phone , cribbage board , etc
I'm always interested in lightening the load but still want to enjoy my time in the wilderness and am willing to carry an extra pound or two if it means not having misserable nights on the mountain.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:39 AM

Sheep,
Tell me about it - couldnt believe those two would try and muscle in on "My " Spot!!!!
The Nerve....
Old 08-14-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post

tm
Why not just get a larger Kifaru tipi? I do know that Kifaru will custom make damn near anything you want, but it sure won't be cheep. It would be way easier and way cheeper just to order something they already make and save yourself the hassle. I have thier para-tipi, and it kicks a**. The whole thing including the stove is only about 5-6lbs, and their larger setups like the 4 or 6 man tipi's aren't a whole lot more, especially if you split it up between 2 guys. If you want to save more weight, you can always order a smaller stove than what they recommend. Unless your camping at -20, your gonna be able to keep things nice and toasty even with a smaller stove setup.