Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-12-2009, 08:39 PM

Default outfitters untouched by chronic wasting disease!!!

I'm not to sure how aware hunters are in alberta about this chronic wasteing disease,going on along the alberta\saskatchewan border.Its been a hot topic for the last five years now,and I'm sure that most of us could all write a short story on our opinion about it.which I aint going to do.I however am going to state a couple of FACTS.First off the deer populations in these CWD wmu's have been disamated.wmu's such as 150,151,119,148 Are area's that in the past produced a high volume of trophy bucks every year,however due to the mass slaughter of these deer over the past three years a trophy buck is more difficult to come by these days.Which now brings me to my second fact!

Because of the wasteing disease culling going on in these wmu's the goverments allowed some outfitters who have muledeer\whitetail tags in these affected wmu's,the right to excercise there tags in another wmu's of there choseing which are'nt affected with CWD.So For example an outfitter who has 5 muledeer tags in wmu 150,can now use them tags in wmu 104.now in turn it possibly is going to take that much longer for us alberta residents to draw a Mule buck tag in our favorite wmu.I apply for mule buck in wmu 132 every year,and i've gotten drawn in it every second or third year until now and I know as a fact that theres an outfitter in wmu132 who is shooting Mule bucks with his tags from wmu's that have been affected with CWD.Whats everyone else's opinion on this matter??
Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 PM

eveyone needs to make a living and if a outfitter can fill his allocations in that wmu then i agree that they should be moved. I think its fair, but i totally understand where you are coming from too!
just my two cents worth

I have worked for a couple outfitters in the affected area and a bit more to the west. And let me tell you it was hard finding trophy quallity in those area and I can understand where they are coming from

Buckbrushoutdoors
Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 PM

Yaa I respect your opinion buckbrush,the other good thing with them hunting out of the CWD wmu's is that less deer will be shot there so hopefully the deer numbers will come back!!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 PM

WJ Just thought I would pass on a bit of info. Currently there is only 4 whitetail, 2 mule deer rifle, and 4 mule deer bow tags in wmu 132. There is probably close to a 100 resident tags made avaiable in that wmu. I don't think it is the outfitters that are taking all the deer out of those southern zones. There currently is only 5 mule deer rifle in 148 & 7 in 150. I think if you look at the resident stats they are up around a 100 per wmu. Who do you think is holding deer #'s down in the CWD zones? Not to mention the multiple resident tags and 2 or 3 doe tags that were made in some of these areas for each hunter. Resident hunting was practicaly unlimited.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:30 AM

wmu 132 only has 15 mule deer buck tags per year given out to residents as of 3 years ago!
Old 08-13-2009, 07:44 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

My personal opinion is that I don't believe that Outfitting or Guiding for money should be allowed at all in Alberta so I guess my answer is pretty easy to guess.
My two cents worth.

Keep Your Powder Dry
Dave.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:16 PM

Whitetail junkie I agree with you. Residents first, excess to non residents.
Especially on high demand areas and high demand speices like antelope and elk. Its kind of irrritating that it takes 5 years plus to get a pronhorn tag while outfitters get them every year. Especially since I feed them all summer. Adding insult to injury I know that it I would want to pay $1000's of dollars I could hunt the antelope every year that I feed all summer.(Landowner's tag are useless for antelope since a landowner's tag is limited to only one quarter, and anyone who knows antelope knows how mobile they are.)

Thats my 2 cents.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 PM

Default Read the regs

You must really know your antelope ,Its just to bad that you dont know there is no such thing as a Antelope landowner special licence.

Last edited by triple b; 08-13-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
wmu 132 only has 15 mule deer buck tags per year given out to residents as of 3 years ago!
True, I checked the stats for 2008 and there is 2 outfitter permits and 16 resident and unlimited bow hunting for residents along with the 40 doe permits for residents. Alot of the other zones have alot more. Take 148, it had 5 outfitter permits and 159 resident permits and unlimited bow and 219 doe permits.

Last edited by SCO; 08-13-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Wish View Post
My personal opinion is that I don't believe that Outfitting or Guiding for money should be allowed at all in Alberta so I guess my answer is pretty easy to guess.
My two cents worth.

Keep Your Powder Dry
Dave.
X2
Old 08-14-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple b View Post
You must really know your antelope ,Its just to bad that you dont know there is no such thing as a Antelope landowner special licence.

Thanks for the info. For the reasons stated above, I've never have seen any sense in applying for a Landowner Special Licence for Antelope so I never check into if they we're available or not. Now I know, and thanks. But it doesn't change my view that tags should be for residents first and the excess can go to non residents. And it still doesn't change the fact that I feed them all summer, but still I can only hunt them once every 5 or six years, whiles an outfitter gets his tags every year. As I said residents first, excess to outfitter ( who are guiding nonresidents) and non residents.