Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2014, 10:54 PM

Default How 'Bout Those Flames?! Thread

....How About Those Flames?? Thread.

Down 2-0 going in to the 3rd against Ducks, (you know, that first in Pacific team that was going to show everyone how the Flames couldn't really compete against a first rate team?). Score 3 in a row, and end up winning in shootout. Move up 2 places to 6th overall, ahead of Canucks again. 1st in league with 3rd period goals with 27, Habs have 26.

And that is with some key players injured and out at the moment, with some young guys filling big skates. All I can say is, it's been a long time since I could look forward to watching the Flames play, and not worry about my eyes bleeding by the end of the debacle.

And now, Haters.......Hate away! Tell me again how 'this is the year' for that 28th place bunch of first pick talent.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-18-2014, 11:20 PM

Thumbs up

Good on 'em!
No quit in that team right now, for sure.
Hiller was mighty happy to get that win against his old team!
Old 11-18-2014, 11:28 PM

I fought tooth and nail a few years back about how the key to a winning team starts with a strong captain. I was ripped for calling Iggy out as being wrong for the role.

Guess what keyed the turnaround?

Jaaaiimeeee, where are you? Lol

Kidding aside, good on em. I wish my Oil had HALF the heart, but again another POS captain leads the way (idiot coach/mngt don't help either).
Old 11-18-2014, 11:28 PM

Was at game, probably the best live game I've seen( specialy 3, ot and shootouts). It's so fun watching the young guys. Johnny hockey is crazy, smooth, smart and soft hands. Hard to believe how strong on the puck he is. And no forgetting Monahan, just a complete stud.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Was at game, probably the best live game I've seen( specialy 3, ot and shootouts). It's so fun watching the young guys. Johnny hockey is crazy, smooth, smart and soft hands. Hard to believe how strong on the puck he is. And no forgetting Monahan, just a complete stud.
For sure. Watching Johnny G really reminds me of Patrick Kane. No quit in those boys, and I agree about getting a new Captain in Gio and sending Iggy on. Still have an Iggy jersey and will still wear it, but his time was done.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 AM

Fun to watch for sure
Old 11-19-2014, 10:00 AM

Default Flames

The Flames have always been my team, and I am very impressed, with how Hartley, is getting the most out of these kids, the hard part, is yet to come.
How do you insert the veterans, that are hurt, back into this lineup, that is showing so much, success.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:10 AM

Default Was there!

Said as we walked into the Dome that this would be an interesting test for the Flames.

First period was alright, second was boring and that was both teams, just seemed to skate around, good passing by the Ducks, Flames just could not seem to connect with anything.

Then the third, oh my what a period of hockey, not just because the Flames came back but both team played fast and good hockey. The Flames dominated the OT minutes and had the house on their feet.

It was good to see them win but it was better to see them not give up, this year that has been the theme, they just don't quit and regardless of the jersey I will pay to watch that any day.

Johnny G is on his way to becoming a star, that kid is fast and seems to know exactly where everyone else is on the ice, as proven by his passes. Great to watch. Reminds me of St. Louis.

As Her Majesty kept saying.....put the shrimp out!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 AM

Yep, keep the young guys playing. Glencross looked like crap and lazy play. Dam McDavid would look good with these boys. Lol
Old 11-19-2014, 10:24 AM

You have to hate the Flames because they are working so hard to leave us with nothing to hate. Gezz. From that standpoint it is so much easier to be an Oiler fan I suppose.

Nice thing about the Flames is that they seem to be improving week over week. That means they won't plateau out of the playoffs.

Don't think getty Sammy would be all that important. The Oilers can get another star to skate around. I like this team because they play as a team. They have fun and score goals!

Go figure. Some good coaching must be a good part of the success here.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-19-2014, 10:59 AM

got to luv it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (38.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 11-19-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
The Flames have always been my team, and I am very impressed, with how Hartley, is getting the most out of these kids, the hard part, is yet to come.
How do you insert the veterans, that are hurt, back into this lineup, that is showing so much, success.
That is going to be interesting, Jooris is looking so good, what to do when Mason Raymond comes back? Who not only was outstanding early, but is such a mature, steady veteran who consistently produces....I think I'd let Stajan sit before I'd push Jooris back out. JMO. A nice problem to have though!

Old 11-19-2014, 03:56 PM

Default Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That is going to be interesting, Jooris is looking so good, what to do when Mason Raymond comes back? Who not only was outstanding early, but is such a mature, steady veteran who consistently produces....I think I'd let Stajan sit before I'd push Jooris back out. JMO. A nice problem to have though!
Yup, and also vole urn, where do you slot him in.as well as Jones.
Some trades, may have to happen.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:08 PM

Waive Setoguchi, Bollig, and Mcgrattan. There's 3 roster spots for returning injured players
Old 11-19-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadyaz View Post
Waive Setoguchi, Bollig, and Mcgrattan. There's 3 roster spots for returning injured players
I'd keep all three of them myself. Bollig is a big body in front of the net, and he can skate. McGratton skates pretty good for a big man, and frankly you need a guy like him on the team. 'Guchi is an Alberta boy, from Taber if I'm not mistaken. Good hands, reads the ice well, veteran player and smart. I'd deal Stajan first before him. I suppose Engelland does cover some of McGratton's 'skill set'......but if you have to ditch a couple bodies, besides Stajan....yeah, take Setoguchi.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Default Glencross

They should have lost Glencross years ago. He has never been a great contributor other than get penalties at the worst time.

Looks slow and lazy, all the things that were wrong with the Flames over the last few years. Old guard guy, time to go.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:28 PM

Thumbs up Go flames Go

very exciting to watch,,,monahan// just a matter of time and this guy is going to fill the net ,,,,Hartley as got it goin on,,very fast skating team
Old 11-19-2014, 06:54 PM

Default Not generally a Flames fan, but...

I just have to love a team with so little expectations from the "experts" that refuses to play down to same. When I was a Hockey coach, I always emphasized "best effort" and some "RRRRH" over the technical side (to the expressed chagrin of those who felt that competing hard all the time was not really important? - one doesn't want to injure their fragile "self esteeem"). Love the way this team is over-achieving with such a theoretically "weak" roster. Have to assume the coaching is a huge factor. If only the Oilers would show half the same grit and competitiveness. Go Flames!!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:11 PM

Just saw the perfect example of why Flames are winning, and Oilers aren't. Last night, Giordano outskates and knocks puck off Duck player' stick (can't remember who) on breakaway. Started 4 steps behind, caught up through neutral, and stopped the shot from ever happening.

Tonight, Canuck's are short handed, chip puck past both defense and takes off....BOTH pursuing Oilers D men quit skating by blue line, as they decided they were out of the play, and shooter scores.

So lazy, it was disgusting. So, what if shooter doesn't score, goalie gives up fat rebound? Don't you still have a defensive duty to be there to keep the shooter from getting the second shot? Or are they so whipped that they just expect Scrivens will let the puck in?

I don't think I've ever seen both D men quit so badly before. Way to go....I'm hoping somehow they still beat the Canucks, as that would keep the Flames up on them in the standings.....but what a lousy performance.

Update, they just scored and tied it up. Go Oilers Go.....

Old 11-19-2014, 08:30 PM

last year my dad and I got some tickets to a game. flames and blue jackets a day or two after iggy left. great seats.

before the game in warm up, camlieri was schmoozing with a female fan thru the glass while his teammates warmed up. he seemed like he was about to play in a seniors beer league game. he also had that manner about him that he was a bar-star both on and off the ice with his teammates, top honcho, always da man. better put, he was bobby from taledega knights, he was always going to be number one, win or lose.

when the game got going the thing we noticed in the game was how disorganized the flames bench was on going on and off the ice, while the blue jacks were really quite precision. and almost like seeking approval, camilieri was front and center on the bench not the coach.

the media also didn't help when we were losers like the oilers. It seemed every article I read kept on the mantra of "these kids have to contend in the nhl now" or something to this effect. What closed end writing. Firstly, they are in the nhl and not a whl team that gets to play now and then.

I can't believe I look forward to flames games again, between ice fishing and the flames, winter should go by pretty good.

it's also nice to see that the horrible old shoot the puck in the corner play is gone.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:32 PM

We were at the game last night and left at the second intermission, boring as hell game and the kids had school today. Got home and wifey was shocked. 3rd period was awesome and going into O.T. Great ending for sure.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post
very exciting to watch,,,monahan// just a matter of time and this guy is going to fill the net ,,,,Hartley as got it goin on,,very fast skating team
like hornets.

did anyone notice the game before where Calgary pulled the goalie while winning and with 17 minutes left in the game, so they could get an awaiting penalty called in the other teams end? what great exciting mind $%@#& hockey.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Just saw the perfect example of why Flames are winning, and Oilers aren't. Last night, Giordano outskates and knocks puck off Duck player' stick (can't remember who) on breakaway. Started 4 steps behind, caught up through neutral, and stopped the shot from ever happening.

Tonight, Canuck's are short handed, chip puck past both defense and takes off....BOTH pursuing Oilers D men quit skating by blue line, as they decided they were out of the play, and shooter scores.

So lazy, it was disgusting. So, what if shooter doesn't score, goalie gives up fat rebound? Don't you still have a defensive duty to be there to keep the shooter from getting the second shot? Or are they so whipped that they just expect Scrivens will let the puck in?

I don't think I've ever seen both D men quit so badly before. Way to go....I'm hoping somehow they still beat the Canucks, as that would keep the Flames up on them in the standings.....but what a lousy performance.

Update, they just scored and tied it up. Go Oilers Go.....
That was awesome, was Kessler who had steps and Geo caught and knocked the puck, never gave up.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:19 PM

How come no extension for Hartley? What am I missing?? If she was game 82, he wins the Jack Adams hands down.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
That was awesome, was Kessler who had steps and Geo caught and knocked the puck, never gave up.
Right! thanks for supplying that.....(I'd had a nice whisky or two during the game ). And Kessler isn't exactly a slug on his skates, so for Gio to overtake him like that was just grit and speed....something all the Flames seem to be having.

Too bad the Oilers lost again, now the Canucks jump up a spot over the Flames. But, what did you expect?

Old 11-20-2014, 08:47 PM

Looking good right now, end of the second against Chicago and tied at 3.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:02 PM

Well, they didn't roll over and play dead, was a fast paced game. I'd give the win to Crawford, made a clutch save or two. Monahan was a monster again tonight. They got a couple power play goals against a team that is one of the best penalty killers in the league, so that is a positive.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:13 PM

Glencross needs to pick it up,,he was in on the monahan goal ,,,but 'other then that all he did was turn over the puck all night
Old 11-22-2014, 11:00 PM

Well what are you going to say?? Down 4-2 with 3 minutes left in game....pull goalie, score twice, go to shootout and win.

HOW ABOUT THOSE FLAMES!? No quit there. that is Never Say Die hockey at it's finest.

How did it go up the highway at Rexall tonight? Oh, never mind...

Old 11-22-2014, 11:10 PM

Sorry !glencross,,,,, Monahan as a laser beam of a shot