Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If more people actually watched the RCMP or the sheriffs practice and qualify with their handguns, they might not be so comfortable with these people carrying handguns.
Truer words were never spoken.... and these people break ankles practicing 4-5 days before qualifying to make sure they can pass.... the rest of the year well.....

And I know of no competent shooter (rifle, handgun or bow) that will tell you that these skills are perishable unless you maintain them.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Imagine Saterday night at the local bar.Or a guy who cuts another guy off in traffic or,Gee,some enraged hockey parent when there kid gets a penalty,or any number of Oilers fans sitting behind the bench(OK,that was just a shot)
I`m a hunter,48 seasons and counting.Guys in hunting season are HUNTING.Stuff does happen but very rarely.Usually over a treestand.Random people packing handguns in real life situations can get into big trouble fast.What a guy would normally walk away from can escalate into the OK Corral pretty fast.You know guys like that.We all do.
If I could figure a way to keep handgun carry to just the responsible and less likely to flame out and get all video game on the first guy who p1ssed them off I would be rich.Do you really want everybody to pack a Glock 9?
99.999% of hunters are responsible.They make up a very small section of the general population.Only 2.8% of the pop of Alberta hunts,I trust them.So...only guys who have been hunting for at least 10 years can get a permit to carry.Yup,That ain`t gonna fly.

Ever been to a PACKERS Game VS Bills? lots of VERY rabid fans..... no gun deaths... that argument holds no water.

Personally, If you are safe, sane, vetted and pass a firearms CCW course, yes, you should be allowed to carry.

If you have anything in your background that precludes CCW, then you cannot.

K.I.S.S principle.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
That and the irrational fear of guns the general public who support those laws suffer from, a few of which are among us.
I hear you there! Those were the posters that said there were no deer left so don't bother hunting and others that accused hunters of shooting their horses! Beware, my friend, beware lol!
Old 12-28-2014, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Imagine Saterday night at the local bar.Or a guy who cuts another guy off in traffic or,Gee,some enraged hockey parent when there kid gets a penalty,or any number of Oilers fans sitting behind the bench(OK,that was just a shot)
I`m a hunter,48 seasons and counting.Guys in hunting season are HUNTING.Stuff does happen but very rarely.Usually over a treestand.Random people packing handguns in real life situations can get into big trouble fast.What a guy would normally walk away from can escalate into the OK Corral pretty fast.You know guys like that.We all do.
If I could figure a way to keep handgun carry to just the responsible and less likely to flame out and get all video game on the first guy who p1ssed them off I would be rich.Do you really want everybody to pack a Glock 9?
99.999% of hunters are responsible.They make up a very small section of the general population.Only 2.8% of the pop of Alberta hunts,I trust them.So...only guys who have been hunting for at least 10 years can get a permit to carry.Yup,That ain`t gonna fly.
You sound like the CBC.

blah blah blah, glock 9, blah blah blah, fear monger.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
That is the biggest pile of BS I've ever read on here.

Here is your homework assignment. Find examples of legal carry permit holders in the states doing ridiculous crap your spouting about. There are about 8million CCW holders in the States. By your reasoning there must be what, a couple hundred thousand shootings per day?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Ok been following this thread and my original question still stands. Is it to do with the right to carry or a reason to carry. Many scenarios have been covered but the only one that makes sense to me is the wilderness carry. I can see wanting to protect yourself in the bush no problem. Carrying in public places does not. There is no reason to carry a side arm when you go about your routine daily business.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
Ok been following this thread and my original question still stands. Is it to do with the right to carry or a reason to carry. Many scenarios have been covered but the only one that makes sense to me is the wilderness carry. I can see wanting to protect yourself in the bush no problem. Carrying in public places does not. There is no reason to carry a side arm when you go about your routine daily business.
I say right to carry as long as some criteria are met. What would be the reason not to carry going about your daily business?
Old 12-28-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I say right to carry as long as some criteria are met. What would be the reason not to carry going about your daily business?
"It's not Canadian" is one argument I've heard.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Banned

As much as I would love to take my Ruger Mk11 or my Colt 45 ACP out for a sunday stroll, I doubt that this will ever happen, unless I move to Texas.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
You sound like the CBC.

blah blah blah, glock 9, blah blah blah, fear monger.
The CBC isn't about Canadian programming, it's about programming Canadians. It's rabidly anti-gun. That my taxes help fund it sickens me.
Banned

Quote:
You might scare Wendy Cookier!!!

Quote:
Again a personal opinion as I do not fear for my life and see no reason to carry a sidearm to protect myself or my family. Now if your talking the right to carry is another matter. I have already stated my belief that having a large part of society carry side arms does not make me feel safe, although my opinion, i have the right to not want or appose the right to carry.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Banned

Same old arguments from the same people.

This is Canada, where you do not have a right to own a firearm.
This is Canada, where you are given certain privileges and firearms ownership is one of them.
This is Canada, where the average person does not know their neighbor anymore and fears them.

CCW for the average person is a pipe dream, not worth arguing about.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Same old arguments from the same people.

This is Canada, where you do not have a right to own a firearm.
This is Canada, where you are given certain privileges and firearms ownership is one of them.
This is Canada, where the average person does not know their neighbor anymore and fears them.

CCW for the average person is a pipe dream, not worth arguing about.
Ok you do have the right to own a firearm although there is a restriction(I agree with the restriction, my personal belief).

There are several countries that allow you to own, fire, carry whatever you want. A lot of those countries you would not want to live in because the quality of life sucks and are very dangerous to be there. so given the quality of life and the freedoms you do have in Canada is not so bad. To quote an employee that works for me from India, "you could have all the money in the world but get in an accident on the highway and be hurt badly chances are you will die". The laws here do protect you and the quality of life provided by your government makes it a pretty good place to live. appreciate it.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok you do have the right to own a firearm although there is a restriction(I agree with the restriction, my personal belief).

There are several countries that allow you to own, fire, carry whatever you want. A lot of those countries you would not want to live in because the quality of life sucks and are very dangerous to be there. so given the quality of life and the freedoms you do have in Canada is not so bad. To quote an employee that works for me from India, "you could have all the money in the world but get in an accident on the highway and be hurt badly chances are you will die". The laws here do protect you and the quality of life provided by your government makes it a pretty good place to live. appreciate it.
Show me where there is a right to own a firearm in Canada and I will retract my statements.

This isn't about any other country, this is Canada we live in.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Government provides nothing. The taxpayer provides, government destroys.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-28-2014, 03:06 PM

Default could the women pipe up?

I wish some of the naysayers' daughters or wives joined into this little debate about 'what the heck do you need to carry a handgun for?'

Women are routinely assaulted and raped on university campuses.
They should have an option other than screaming or blowing a rape whistle.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Government provides nothing. The taxpayer provides, government destroys.
your opinion, still say you have a quality of life here and hey you can disagree with what others say and disagree with the people in charge and still getup in the morning and eat you cornflakes and head out to fish, hunt, work or just go do what you want as long as you follow the rules. be thankful for what you have.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
I wish some of the naysayers' daughters or wives joined into this little debate about 'what the heck do you need to carry a handgun for?'

Women are routinely assaulted and raped on university campuses.
They should have an option other than screaming or blowing a rape whistle.
Lame
Old 12-28-2014, 03:11 PM

Ask the victims how lame my point is.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Show me where there is a right to own a firearm in Canada and I will retract my statements.

This isn't about any other country, this is Canada we live in.
So your telling me if I want to buy a firearm for hunting and get my appropriate certification that i cannot own said firearm. not following you???????

So you live in Canada, you don't like the rules move were the rules meet your requirements. Just be careful cause your family is now in real danger.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Ask the victims how lame my point is.
There has been victims since we started throwing stones at each other and it will never end. Being able to carry or not will never change this.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:21 PM

just a regular 'lay down and take it' kind of guy aren't you?
Old 12-28-2014, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
So your telling me if I want to buy a firearm for hunting and get my appropriate certification that i cannot own said firearm. not following you???????

So you live in Canada, you don't like the rules move were the rules meet your requirements. Just be careful cause your family is now in real danger.
What you have described is a privilege subject to government will. Gov't can take your guns at any time with the stroke of a pen.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
There has been victims since we started throwing stones at each other and it will never end. Being able to carry or not will never change this.
Then why oppose it?
Old 12-28-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
just a regular 'lay down and take it' kind of guy aren't you?
Nope, have protected myself and family for 56 years, learned when to stand up and when to walk away. Use your head avoid trouble, has worked for me. Is this hard to understand. Look I am not against the right to carry in reasonable circumstances. Just do not want to know if I am out grocery shopping that if someone robs the store let them have the cash, the last thing i Need is a bunch of good doers pulling side arms and let lead fly. Is that such a bad belief.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Again a personal opinion as I do not fear for my life and see no reason to carry a sidearm to protect myself or my family. Now if your talking the right to carry is another matter. I have already stated my belief that having a large part of society carry side arms does not make me feel safe, although my opinion, i have the right to not want or appose the right to carry.
So it would make you feel unsafe?
Old 12-28-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Then why oppose it?
So the answer is have more stones flying around to harm more people, don't understand your comment?
Old 12-28-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
So it would make you feel unsafe?
unsafe as per what?
Old 12-28-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
What you have described is a privilege subject to government will. Gov't can take your guns at any time with the stroke of a pen.
Yup! so depending on the reason your comment is vague.
Closed Thread