Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Do you really think those that have been responsible during the boom will be hurt? Some will, no doubt, and those we should all feel for, but how many do you know who NEEDED that 66K truck and similarity priced RV, all the quads, expensive vacations, large bar and restaurant tabs, McMansion, latest and greatest electronic toys etc etc. All of it financed to the limit.

Those I have no empathy for as they didn't think and were irresponsible. They'll recover, become responsible, and when they try to pass the lessons on, there will be a new group of know it all high flyers.

That cycle had been part of Alberta for decades.
So were you also hoping the same for the auto workers in Ontario that were looking at massive layoffs when their employers were ready to go under? There are people in every occupation that do the same as you are accusing the oilfield workers of, but somehow because they work in the oil industry they deserve it and you have no compassion for them. You sir, are a pathetic individual and I'm glad I don't know you outside of this forum as I have no use for people like you.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:18 PM

I'm thinking that some of the shallow wells that are capped in my area might be in production soon again... Oil companies' contingency plans have contingency plans...
Old 01-05-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdrizzle View Post
You claim you don't wish ill on anyone, then say you hope oil drops to 12 dollars a barrel.....
actually was 13 or 14 lol..... read it again ..i dont want any harm to anyone lol i just would like gas prices to drop ... thats what i said ..
have a good day
Old 01-05-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdrizzle View Post
You claim you don't wish ill on anyone, then say you hope oil drops to 12 dollars a barrel.....
I hope it goes to $12.00 a barrel. Alberta needs a reality check IMO.

I definitely don't wish ill on anyone. But, Oil has always gone up and down and if one is silly enough to put all there eggs in one basket so to speak it is there own fault.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:32 PM

I'm not really all that concerned with how much it costs me to fill up my tank. I like that it's cheaper now but there will be a cost. What that cost is will affect all of us in other ways...................right now I'm think the real estate market. Will this be the shove that causes real estate value to crash?
Old 01-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
So were you also hoping the same for the auto workers in Ontario that were looking at massive layoffs when their employers were ready to go under? There are people in every occupation that do the same as you are accusing the oilfield workers of, but somehow because they work in the oil industry they deserve it and you have no compassion for them. You sir, are a pathetic individual and I'm glad I don't know you outside of this forum as I have no use for people like you.
If you think everyone who was riding the high horse during the boom was responsible, I can understand your perspective.

There are more than one person on here who made great money, has little debt, and paid assets to show for it. They will be fine.

There are also more than a few who thought this rodeo ride would never end. Exactly why should we feel sorry for them? Because one can't fix stupid? Those of us who have seen this more than once knew exactly what those wannabes would be like.

We also could see the hole they were digging for themselves, but I can guarantee you they knew better, and had an "I'm owed this" attitude who would change jobs for .50 more an hour at a drop off the hat. Bet many don't have enough to cover their minimum payments for two months in a row.

Those will be flushed out, some of them will learn, pick themselves up, and never make those mistakes again. Others will moan about how unfair life is.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post

I definitely don't wish ill on anyone. But, Oil has always gone up and down and if one is silly enough to put all there eggs in one basket so to speak it is there own fault.
In a resource based economy, those who work with the resources have their eggs in one basket. The blue collar skilled laborer is running out of places to turn.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 01-05-2015, 01:41 PM

I don't recall anyone in the patch thanking John Q Public for paying $1.40L for fuel to fund their high flyin lifestyle, but they sure seem to resent anyone paying 80 cents L.
Funny how people can be angry at someone for something that they have NO control over.
We all be taking this ride together, just some of us had our seatbelt on!!
Old 01-05-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
In a resource based economy, those who work with the resources have their eggs in one basket. The blue collar skilled laborer is running out of places to turn.
What do you mean by this?^^
Old 01-05-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
I don't recall anyone in the patch thanking John Q Public for paying $1.40L for fuel to fund their high flyin lifestyle, but they sure seem to resent anyone paying 80 cents L.
Funny how people can be angry at someone for something that they have NO control over.
indeed ...well said
Old 01-05-2015, 01:54 PM

Default oil price reality

If oil prices keep dropping the way they are I can't wait to here all of the bleeding hearts whine when all of there pet projects have no money to cover them any more. I hope they all have big wallets when oil income drops to the point that layoffs start. People always seem to forget these companies have to make a profit or they close the doors and take there money elsewhere . I lived threw the 80's and seen the number of people who walked away from there homes because they couldn't afford them. Be careful what you wish for the golden goose might take the gold and go home.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:07 PM
Banned

Nothing like the seeing the high and mighty rejoicing at the pain of those they envied. Good stuff.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Banned

You want to live by the sword you die by the sword..
Old 01-05-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Nothing like the seeing the high and mighty rejoicing at the pain of those they envied. Good stuff.
Couldn't agree more. sad really.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Last I checked I pay the same price as you do at the pumps.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:33 PM

Could be a good summer for travelling. Cheap gas / diesel and plenty of accomodation places desperate for customers.
Not that I WANT people to lose money / jobs, it just looks like it's going to happen.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
You have to get over the envy bud. I haven't heard one guy complain about people paying 80C/l. Where do you get this drivel?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:02 PM
Banned

Everyone is in the boat on this one. Where do you think we get the bulk of the money to run this Province? It has to come from somewhere....maybe a sales tax or? Buckle up!
Old 01-05-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
I'm not really all that concerned with how much it costs me to fill up my tank. I like that it's cheaper now but there will be a cost. What that cost is will affect all of us in other ways...................right now I'm think the real estate market. Will this be the shove that causes real estate value to crash?
I worry about the real estate part. Out of the crash of 2008 the two things that have kept canada rolling are a housing boom and an oil boom. Alot of eggs have been put in the oil barrel. Canada is a nation of 32 million that produces 4 million barrels of oil per day (5.3million boe's).

We have essentially become a petro state in the last 7 years. All those other countries that we see going into deficits, recessions etc because of the low oil price..... well we are the 5th largest producer in the world behind china and the only producers bigger after that are usa,saudis, then russia.

Being the highest cost producer in the world we will get hit the hardest.

Everyone around the world has red flagged our housing market as a bubble and we always said 'no no no' eventually something is going to give.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:28 PM

I'll complain about .80 cents a liter.....

I like to see kids with good schools, questionable road service, half decent hospitals, ....25 year old kids with jacked up trucks that get 8 mpg....big bar tabs and not caring....and not living in shacks.....

the alternative sucks.....a lot of us call it the 80's.....and remember it all to well.......I complain about almost everything, but never about how much my gas costs......because I remember what that also leads to.....
Old 01-05-2015, 03:46 PM

Sadly, so does the single Mom with three kids working for minimum wage.... Is it her fault? Maybe, but maybe not either. Just because some can take advantage of the over inflated wages of the patch, some can't yet they have to pay to live.... Now some others may come to realize what it feels like for those that weren't as fortunate, if that's the term that should be used here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwestalta View Post
Last I checked I pay the same price as you do at the pumps.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Who's angry? Some of us simply don't get off on other people's pain and don't appreciate others that do.

This is going to affect many more than just oilpatch workers, as I'm sure you are aware. I don't remember oil patch workers saying "yay, my beef will be cheaper now" because of the mad cow disease issue some years back.

Regardless of whether they didn't manage their money wisely or not, I will not be happy when I have to lay off staff because of this.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
You have to get over the envy bud. I haven't heard one guy complain about people paying 80C/l. Where do you get this drivel?
Without prejudice.
It would appear that you have it backwards.
Try to control your barely contained rage.
The fear that seems to be controlling you was not created by those prepared for a correction.
Again for the 3rd time-we are all on this ride together.
Try not to read more into it than your tiny brain can manage.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
Could be a good summer for travelling. Cheap gas / diesel and plenty of accomodation places desperate for customers.
Not that I WANT people to lose money / jobs, it just looks like it's going to happen.
It is amazing who actually gets canned in a recession. When you look at all the spin off jobs from oil and gas activity you can be amazed.

When Alberta removes the oil and gas revenues from the coffers... how does that impact you?

When small town Alberta stops seeing the inflow of capital...how does that affect you?

When Alberta's tax base shrinks dramatically due to lower oil and gas revenues for companies paying taxes to layoffs and reduced tax base.

When money stops flowing...everyone get hurt. If you are looking to retire and move...you had best have you house for sale now. It will come down soon and your nest egg could follow.

A lot of other industries support the oil and gas industry. Many jobs falls like a bad game of dominos.

All I can say is once everyone says we are doomed is when we see the bottom and it goes back up. While some still say it will be getting better soon...you know there is still play in the market.

For those that are smiling...curious to see what you do for a living... It would be interesting to see if it could be impacted. Hopefully for your sake it is not. In which case having a job and money in a collapsing economy can mean screaming deals...even though you need to remember it is on the back of someone elses loss.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-05-2015, 04:44 PM

Back in the early 80's there was a bumper sticker that said something like "Please lord let there be another boom, I promise I won't **** it away this time". What I took that to mean is that if another boom came the poster was promising to make good financial decisions including saving money, not buying unnecessary things on credit and throwing away money on huge bar/restaurant tabs and expensive vacations. What I have seen in the last number of years makes the big spender oil patch guys of the early 80's look like pickers . In the next year many guys are going to learn a serious lesson and probably buy a similar bumper sticker. Unfortunately, it seems this lesson seems to have to be learned again and again.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:50 PM

Its just a cycle that happens every 5 years or so. It will be back so just ride the storm.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:17 PM

People in the news and day to day are refering to this as a 'crash' now..... it used to be just a 'pullback' 'dip' 'correction' etc etc.

I am curious to see what happens when billions in revenue is missing when q4 earnings come out.... we all know who gets pooped on when corporations need to shore up profit margins. Blech
Old 01-05-2015, 05:54 PM

Sure hope you feel this way if we get a sales tax or your personal taxes rise.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post

Old 01-05-2015, 05:57 PM

What will be interesting to see is if the oil companies will keep drilling, while paying reduced wages, and cap the wells to wait for the day that the oil prices go back up...
This will be the time that the drilling companies will probably get rid of a lot of the dead weight and employees who steal from the company...
Old 01-05-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
It is amazing who actually gets canned in a recession. When you look at all the spin off jobs from oil and gas activity you can be amazed.

When Alberta removes the oil and gas revenues from the coffers... how does that impact you?

When small town Alberta stops seeing the inflow of capital...how does that affect you?

When Alberta's tax base shrinks dramatically due to lower oil and gas revenues for companies paying taxes to layoffs and reduced tax base.

When money stops flowing...everyone get hurt. If you are looking to retire and move...you had best have you house for sale now. It will come down soon and your nest egg could follow.

A lot of other industries support the oil and gas industry. Many jobs falls like a bad game of dominos.

All I can say is once everyone says we are doomed is when we see the bottom and it goes back up. While some still say it will be getting better soon...you know there is still play in the market.

For those that are smiling...curious to see what you do for a living... It would be interesting to see if it could be impacted. Hopefully for your sake it is not. In which case having a job and money in a collapsing economy can mean screaming deals...even though you need to remember it is on the back of someone elses loss.
I'm in construction. I honestly expect to lose my job withing the next 12 months.
I agree with you, most people don't realise how much they will be affected.
There was a thread here a while back, all sorts of people saying that they were safe. One that sticks to mind was a body mechanic saying that people would still be denting their trucks. Yeah, but who pays for a dent repair when the choice is that or food?