Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 06:35 PM

Default Best time for a salmon fishing trip?

What is the best time to go to the Coast to fill the coolers full of fish?
I usually head to Port Renfew and catch Hali, coho and springs but never really been when we catch a decent amount of real big Springs. Is there better times of the year to go to fill the coolers?
Old 12-08-2017, 06:51 PM

We were out at bamfield labour day week and did pretty well. Lots of 18 lb springs. One 29 lber. Ended up bringing 45 lbs of processed meat home each. Only crappy thing was halibut closed the day we got there due to quota.

Always hear July is good on west coast of island too.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 PM

Default halibut

halibut a fantastic salt water fish for eating--as an ex deck officer on the 1000 ton deep sea fishing stern trawler nfld hawk,we caught some of those babies over 400 lbs ,the crew shared,mom cooked with her special sauce,sooooo good,
Old 12-08-2017, 11:06 PM

Nube,

I’d look at the North end of the Island out of Hardy from July 20 to Aug 10th if you want it all. Big Springs, Coho, and whatever you want for bottom fish.

South and North of Gold River on the West Coast has been ok for Springs but Gold River on the inside has sucked the last few years.

As for the East side around Campbell River the salmon fishing can be ok at times but unless you know where to go and are prepared to lose some gear the bottom Fishing is just ok. And not a lot for Halibut. They are there but you need to go down over 250 feet so it’s not a lot of fun.

Next year is the year for Sockeye too and 2 years ago was fantastic so there should be some on the inside next year unless they run down the outside.

I lived and part-time guided on the Island up until ten years ago. Still have all our family there.

If I wanted a fairly inexpensive guided trip I’d be looking Port Hardy. We’ll be up there fishing out of our Whaler sometime around the end of July. We also do a trip out of Gold River each year but the fishing is not what it used to be. If you have a big boat and are prepared to travel 20 miles offshore it can be real good, but those for the most part are not Gold River fish.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:15 PM

Serengeti charters is out of Port Hardy. I don’t know them from Adam but I do follow their posts on here and they seem to get their share of fish and they have good gear. They are a sponsor I believe.

I’ve never actually fished out of Hardy but I know guys that go up each year and do well. I used to launch there every year and run my boat up to Rivers Inlet for a week of fishing for Springs at the head end. We always got our bottom fish on the way back to Hardy.

I’ve spent considerable time out of Telegraph Cove but not for a lot of years now. Fishing could be great at times but was never as consistent as the stories I heard coming from just outside Hardy and around the North end of the Island. Back in those days my boat was just a bit too small and was better in the covered water fishing back eddies.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:33 AM

We bumped up our trip next year by a couple of weeks, first week of August , to get in before the commercial fishermen.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
What is the best time to go to the Coast to fill the coolers full of fish?
I usually head to Port Renfew and catch Hali, coho and springs but never really been when we catch a decent amount of real big Springs. Is there better times of the year to go to fill the coolers?
What do the guides say on the dock at Port Renfrew?
You ever talk to a guy named Hovie?
Ruskin Construction has done a lot of work in that town and their boats/guides are easy to spot.

Rob
Old 12-09-2017, 08:35 PM

I've always gone with the same guy in Renfrew. We did ok I think and compared to other guides did better some days and worse others. I think there are better areas to fish tho. I talked to Serengeti charters but prices are rediculous and 1.5 times what some others are charging. Probably because they have a lodge and feed you top notch. Yes they catch fish and they book up so I don't blame them to get every dollar they can. I basically want good fishing and a good guide and boat but could care less if I slept in the gutter and ate Ramen noodles lol
I've had some good options from guys here and will check it out.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:35 PM

Great question Nube! I'm in the same situation. I can go anytime, and really don't care about the accommodation and meals. I've been looking for the best time to fish out of Prince Rupert for a salmon / halibut combo, but can't seem to get a consistent answer!
Old 12-10-2017, 08:07 AM

Serengetti charters nuff said.. These guy run a top notch operation and you won't be disappointed. We went with them 2 summers ago and by Sunday I didn't even wanna hold a fishing rod any more.. We caught and released a 300+lb Hali 84" long .. the thing was a beast. And limited out daily on any fish you could have a limit on.. from lodging to meals and equipment everything is top notch .. hands down best salmon fishing experience of my career ..

Mamba
Old 12-10-2017, 08:21 AM

If you have the moola, Langara can be really good for big springs in late May/early June, and good halibut, snapper, as well.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
If you have the moola, Langara can be really good for big springs in late May/early June, and good halibut, snapper, as well.
I've only fished the north end of the charlottes, usually on 7 mile. Luckily I've got family there so it's just a matter of showing up.
I usually go in July for a few reasons. Good springs and coho plus the crabs are spawning on the beach and a viable option when it's blowing to hard to fish. I would of said anytime from May to Aug is good but I think Jun/July is prob the best.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:02 AM

Cant beat Sooke in early July. Weather and fishing is generally good. Rollie was great as a guide and doesn't break the bank to go. I like booking 1.5 days. First day book all day and the second a 5 hour charter then your back by noon day two.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:17 AM

Went with Deep Spring Charters out of Rupert beginning of June. Caught our limit of Springs - 14-30# plus cod and some nice butts. Will go with Steve again and we drove from NE alberta to there in about 16 hours. No BS - just hardcore fishing.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:37 AM
AO Sponsor

Farther north you go earlier in the season. Wcvi last few years hasn't been what is used to be for some reason. Same with langara as know a few guides there. Langara is 2.5x our price so probably a pass for you. Hippa was good last year though but also very expensive, sandspit may have a couple day charters available but tough and pricey to get there. Not a single doubt in my mind hardy had the best fishing last two years. Especially last year it was literally Chinook limits everyday minus 4 days (bad weather) for my boat from June 2-sept 6th last year...never seen such an amazing season.

Renfrew go early July.
Rupert go mid to late June
Charlottes (Haida gwaii) about the same as Rupert but far better fishing overall
Hardy seems like anytime last couple years in all honesty
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 12-10-2017, 11:28 AM

Sarengeti hands down the best. Just long travels and tough bringing all your catch back if your from Alberta. Unless you have lots of time to get back. Costs a fortune to ship it especially if you have 150 to 200 pounds of meat.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:23 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru fisher View Post
Sarengeti hands down the best. Just long travels and tough bringing all your catch back if your from Alberta. Unless you have lots of time to get back. Costs a fortune to ship it especially if you have 150 to 200 pounds of meat.
Take it with you on the plane , if you fly out from Comox it works out to $120 per guy for 3 boxes (150lbs of fillets) and $200 for 200lbs of fillets. We have one group that arranges a freezer truck too and they said it works out to $120 each for 4 boxes to Lethbridge. If anyone ever needs details about how they do it I can get them for you !
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 12-10-2017, 03:11 PM

That’s pretty good. Sarengeti all the way but it’s tough to get a spot cause it’s booked pretty solid!!!! That be my choice
Old 12-11-2017, 05:38 PM

Default Salmon Fishing

We have been going for years to Harrison's Cove. Its now called Barkley Sound Lodge. And we are going back again.
Great place, awesome fishing, never come home disappointed, with really full coolers. We usually go late July, early August. Fred, Terry, Blair, are great guides.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:57 PM

Very good forum, with this year's and last year's fishing reports by area and date.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/...hing-forum.30/