Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 PM

Default Mcgregor report

Was out at mcgregor today. First time out this season. I guess I did not prepare very well today. Waited till the last minute to get my crap together. Had the auger started, tent, rods and off I went. Got set up and ready to do some Jigging and lone behold forgot my tackle box. Lucky I did not forget the smelts and still had treble hooks on my tip ups from last year...LOL. no bites what so ever but this was just a test run... Stayed a couple of hours..Guy beside me was jigging but nothing for him either...I thought after a few days of minus temps, the ice would of been closer to 8" but it was about 5" of clear ice. I was set up off the dam...

Thats my story....
Wayne,
Glad I got out today to fix the issues before SAturday..LOL
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 PM

still no whities? that is very strange.......
Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostianych View Post
still no whities? that is very strange.......
I had no tackle to go for the whites but I think the old guy beside me was and from what I could see, he got nothing
Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 PM

was he on the red Nissan truck?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Banned

How deep were you fishing? I find being almost at the wall in max 3' of water is productive, and deeper not so much.

However, a friend does well in 12' of water, but that is travers.

And, sometimes fish are just finicky.

How was the wind?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
No
Silver SUV
Old 11-29-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
How deep were you fishing? I find being almost at the wall in max 3' of water is productive, and deeper not so much.

However, a friend does well in 12' of water, but that is travers.

And, sometimes fish are just finicky.

How was the wind?
I was right up against the wall...one hole I had was 4 fow and the other I set out at about 6 fow... I too usually go a bit deeper but not today...
Unbelievable, but the wind was about 10k...It was actually decent for Mcgregor
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
If you where there on Sunday or Monday, that was me. I've been having terrible luck during the day for whites this year. I still manage one or two right near sunset and that is when the whites seem to get more aggressive and heading into the 3-4 FOW. Did lose two pike/burbot/walleye on the tip ups in the deeper water, never saw what they were.

During the day they seem to be anywhere from 7-11 FOW. What really sucks is how murky the water is again. I guess I must have lucked out the first year about 3 years ago when you could see down 10'. Right now you're lucky to see past 4'.

The ones I caught, I cut open the stomach and it was full of roe (haven't caught any females yet). However, they don't seem interested in roe bags, it's so frustrating.

I'll be out there again this Sat and now that it's legal I'll be there after dark. I'm hoping the ice along the rocks is better, on Monday the pressure ridge along the rocks made some really dodgy 1" ice.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM

Sounds strange but we used to use a bigger fly (maybe size 8) green mosquito pattern with a power bait maggot. Whites loved it ....... same area you guys are at.

Kind of a fluke set up as nothing was happening, did the tackle box experiment thing and BAM ..... started hitting whites.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Banned

One year at the point just south of the boat launch and just out of the canal delta, nobody was catching out of about 20 people,, so I pulled some grey red yarn from my socks and tied a lose wooly bugger type san juan worm and they went nuts. Maybe it was the hook, maybe the stink foot or both, who knows.

I have some assorted home jobbies I will be trying tomorrow, one is a reverse bell that sinks but then floats the bottom up.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 AM

Last year I was catching them on minnows and a small black jig - kind of a homemade water boatman. Some people don't think whites take minnows at this lake at all.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 AM

Slingshotz is right about timing, they get very aggressive and group up just before sunset. Two weekends ago when I iced four of them, it was mostly just before sunset. As of tomorrow, you can even fish after sunset.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:45 PM

so, how was the Mc these days?
Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 PM

Still fish there but I think they are almost all spawned out. The ice is much better by the rocks now, mostly 2-4 inches.

They are all over the water column during the day, anywhere from 5-11 FOW.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:57 PM

It was another tough day on Saturday, we only landed one all day. very few swimming by as well.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
It was another tough day on Saturday, we only landed one all day. very few swimming by as well.
Where abouts were you on Sat? We were the ones way down in the east end. I was thinking that it was only slow where we were and hence why no one was down there

Wife did manage one little aggressive pike that bit her finger, lost a walleye (I think) on the tipup and only iced two whites at sunset. On the plus side, I got my first white this year on my bow , then afterwards my bow strings blew apart from the cams in the freezing weather .
Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Only fished at sunset - got 2 on Saturday and lost 3 more. Not a whitefish bite today. And much less of them swimming than yesterday.
Got one very aggressive burbot though - he managed to get one of these funny "whateverskin" spoon past his gills. Didn't know burbs can bite hardware that hard
Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 AM

We were on the west side, my suit matches my double wide costco tent. The week before we had a good amount of fish going by, nice sized fish for the most part this year though.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:40 AM

We need some AO flags on the tent . I had a feeling there were other AO members on Sat but didn't want to ask everyone fishing there.

I'm going to try and go back on Wed for one last shot at the whites.