Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2023, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ You have made the right choice, there is 100% no doubt about it on my part. I just thought you said that one was a keeper, lol.

A2 is a very subpar and very inexpensive steel that is easy to grind, has very forgiving heat treatment, and very easy to sharpen. There is about zero reasons to use it in knife making when we are talking about high performance knives. It has poor edge retention and just above average toughness and it rusts easier than most other steels (carbon steels aside). It’s like if we were talking about performance vehicles, someone brought up a Lada because it is cheap to begin with and easy to work on through out the lifetime of the vehicle, while the amount of actual work involved is much higher due to constant maintenance requirements. Basically, you would be much better off with a whole bunch of other (stainless) steels if toughness was a concern that are often used for kitchen cutlery, such as AEBL, NitroV, etc and are also inexpensive, but a lot tougher. But we aren’t (or shouldn’t be) concerned with toughness as much as we should be with edge retention on a hunting knife. Pretty much every other steel is superior to A2, carbon steels aside. Even for a fillet and boning knives, you aren’t going to be chopping bones aside from fairly gentle fish ribs and whatnot. There is still an argument against A2 to use in fillet knife because it stains and rust easily; and back to the edge retention. I guess the point being, I was surprised when you said A2 back when you got it (think I may have even said along the lines? Haha). Especially given the price.

Anyway, Magnacut is an excellent choice: it is plenty tough (>A2), good edge retention (>>A2), and it is plenty stainless (>>>>>A2). This is what I was going to ask Dan make me a semi skinner out of, before he stopped replying, lol.
It was a fantastic design of knife, so I will get another with better steel, and all for a better price. Win Win!

This really is a harmless pursuit inching towards addiction.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:16 PM

Yeah, it looked like a good design. I liked the look of it.

And lol at the addiction. I was out years ago.

At least you sell things. I hoard. It’s worse. Much worse. Ah well, what are you gonna do. I am going to post a pic too soon enough, lol.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:00 PM

Yes it is a, win- win! if a person can learn from the mistakes he makes, and what mistakes the other people make. Make it a Win-Win! It's too bad the big wigs of the world can't make that, a game player? You will have a great set of knives when you're done!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
It was a fantastic design of knife, so I will get another with better steel, and all for a better price. Win Win!

This really is a harmless pursuit inching towards addiction.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:49 PM

Default Knife

Just got this knife from Clint Chisan in the mail, just a beautiful knife! as always
Made from 1/8" Magnacut and hardened to EC64. Thanks Again Clint!

Last edited by badbrass; 11-08-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:37 PM

Sorry that should be RC64 not EC64!
Old 11-08-2023, 05:41 PM

I saw that in the EE on cgn. Nice knife
Old 11-08-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Just got this knife from Clint Chisan in the mail, just a beautiful knife! as always
Made from 1/8" Magnacut and hardened to EC64. Thanks Again Clint!
Wow, that is great. What is that model? You guys have me considering a purchase or two. Thought I had my knives squared away a few years ago, after close to 10 years of some significant purchase.

I'm trying to save up for a nice rifle, now I can't stop thinking about knives. I had thought one day I would order a Dozier, or more recently a Crotts maybe, but these Chisan pieces are pretty on point as well!
Old 11-08-2023, 06:12 PM

Thanks Guy's it is called a Drop hunter! Or an addiction! Haha.

Last edited by badbrass; 11-08-2023 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:19 PM

When a skinning knife slices like a Santoku, you got a winner. Clint Chisan makes a quality knife, fellas.

Sent from my MP24 using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks Guy's it is called a Drop hunter! Or an addiction! Haha.
Badbrass, that is badazz. Nice model! I sure do like mine. More and more each time I handle it.

Last edited by sns2; 11-08-2023 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:28 PM

Almost like you can't put it down!!!

Quote:
Nice model! I sure do like mine. More and more each time I handle it.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:56 PM

He! (Clint) really does put out great knives! Used one on a whitetail last year
my son shot and worked perfect in every way! Super sharp!

Quote:
When a skinning knife slices like a Santoku, you got a winner. Clint Chisan makes a quality knife, fellas.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:

That 4” hunter looks awesome. I think I might have to pull the trigger on one and the 6” boning knife is an awesome shape too. I’ve never had a custom but I think I’m taking the leap here now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2023, 07:03 AM

I have a KATZ knife that i found at pick a part still in the box. Great knife fits the hand awesome. But i find that the blade is loose in the handle and cause i van feel it it drives me crazy.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
That 4” hunter looks awesome. I think I might have to pull the trigger on one and the 6” boning knife is an awesome shape too. I’ve never had a custom but I think I’m taking the leap here now.

Keep in mind, Clint has a number of knives that have recently appeared on this thread that look similar.

Semi-skinner (Dirtshooter)
Skinner (myself and Obsessed1)
Drop hunter (Badbrass)

All three are slightly different in length.

And there is gonna be a new design from Clint appearing at my door in the next few weeks, hopefully before Christmas

Last edited by sns2; 11-09-2023 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2023, 08:17 AM

Default Best Skinning knife for $200

Quote:
Keep in mind, Clint has a number of knives that have recently appeared on this thread that look similar.

Semi-skinner (Dirtshooter)

Skinner (myself and Obsessed1)

Drop hunter (Badbrass)

All three are slightly different in length.

And there is gonna be a new design from Clint appearing at my door in the next few weeks, hopefully before Christmas

Thank you for letting me know that. I am looking at getting my brother one of the 4 inch hunter knives.

I am stuck on what I want. I want a general hunting knife to use in the field for all of my field dressing, skinning and breaking apart the meat in the field. Would you say that the 4 inch drop hunter would be his best design for that type of use?

This is the style I’m referring to.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:47 AM

Oh my, those two knives are sick, especially the 4" hunter. I might need to get me a early xmas present haha
Old 11-09-2023, 08:56 AM

You have to make that decision! What every person wants in a knife, is not what the next person wants. It is up to you, as you know! But with this post that sns2 put together we hope you can make a decision.

Quote:
Thank you for letting me know that. I am looking at getting my brother one of the 4 inch hunter knives.

I am stuck on what I want. I want a general hunting knife to use in the field for all of my field dressing, skinning and breaking apart the meat in the field. Would you say that the 4 inch drop hunter would be his best design for that type of use?

This is the style I’m referring to.

Old 11-09-2023, 09:08 AM

[QUOTE=Dom4;4674794]Thank you for letting me know that. I am looking at getting my brother one of the 4 inch hunter knives. I am stuck on what I want. I want a general hunting knife to use in the field for all of my field dressing, skinning and breaking apart the meat in the field. Would you say that the 4 inch drop hunter would be his best design for that type of use?

———————————————————————————————

I may look at post #1760 if I were you. I have that knife on order with a 5” long blade, but the profile of it is slim. Think 3/4” wide. It is an all around assassin. I had it from another maker, Rick Menefee, but in a carbon steel that I wanted to get away from. Got tired with worrying if I had a coat of G96 on my knife at all times. With so many good steels, I said to hell with that noise, and asked Clint to make me a version with his twists.

Oh the choices. It’s like women and shoes

Last edited by sns2; 11-09-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-09-2023, 10:05 AM

Default Chisan knife

Another example of some fine work by Clint.
Cannot figure out how to make pics bigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2106.jpg (28.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2107.jpg (29.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2108.jpg (27.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-09-2023, 10:30 AM

I’m really leaning towards the 4 inch hunter. I like that length and shape of the blade. I just need to go to Cabelas and feel some knives with mircata and g10 handles to decide what I like the best in my hand.

Old 11-09-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I’m really leaning towards the 4 inch hunter. I like that length and shape of the blade. I just need to go to Cabelas and feel some knives with mircata and g10 handles to decide what I like the best in my hand.
That’s the thing. There is no wrong answer cuz it’s yours and yours alone. It will be nice, that much is clear by everyone’s pictures.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:36 PM

I don’t want to derail but if anyone knows of a youth hunter without knives or someone young who would like to learn sharpening. Send me a PM. I have these located in West Edmonton.

Old 11-10-2023, 03:19 PM

Ok I just placed an order with Clint. I’ll be sure to share the photos with you all once I get them. Thanks for the help spending some more money on knives.

Old 11-10-2023, 03:31 PM

happy to see money staying in Canada. So many great makers here
Old 11-10-2023, 08:45 PM

Good for you! Can't wait to see the photo's!

Quote:
Ok I just placed an order with Clint. I’ll be sure to share the photos with you all once I get them. Thanks for the help spending some more money on knives.

Old 11-10-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Good for you! Can't wait to see the photo's!

And a gift for the little bro. I hope he likes it.

Old 11-11-2023, 01:55 AM

I had a knife made by Clint. Sold it my friend who gave it to his boy. He’s on deer four and it still cuts. My go to maker shall remain nameless till he completes my other to customs. He specializes in 440c. Takes him 14 hours to complete the blade alone. He’s up there in age now. So I tell my buddy’s u better order now. He made blades for some production butchering outfit. They were getting 600 cuts before sharpening. But with his blades 14,000 before sharpening. Yes u read that right. It’s done a moose and a deer. Still takes off arm hair. We will see how many critters it can do before sharpening
Old 11-11-2023, 06:50 AM

Default Knife

Clint will be working on a new semi skinner for me. Should look good.
Old 11-11-2023, 08:14 AM

Dsp can you clear out your inbox? I can’t send you a PM thank you.