Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2012, 07:17 AM

Default Best diesel feul conditioner

What is the best feul conditioner that will clean my injectors. I am not looking for a feul stabilizer that eliminates diesel geling in cold weather. I also heard that some conditioners that have alcohol will ruin the seals.

any help please
Old 02-03-2012, 07:23 AM

I always ran howes conditioner. There is also howes meaner power cleaner which I heard works great at cleaning crappy from fuel system and injectors. Howes also even has a warrenty that if you gel off while using their product they will pay for the tow bill. Not sure of the conditions surrounding that but it must be a good product for them to offer something like that.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 AM

Default diesel conditioner

whats model type truck you have
Old 02-03-2012, 07:28 AM

What kind of diesel do you have???? Fords are very picky on what you should use.
Standyne is good for most though???? A cetane additive is also good as todays diesel is garbage
Old 02-03-2012, 07:34 AM

Stanadyne Performance Formula Diesel Fuel Additive, I've run it in in tractors, combines and all 3 makes of diesel pickups to clean crap up or with diesel that's been stored too long but it's too expensive IMO @ 10-11 cents/litre
Old 02-03-2012, 07:39 AM

I've been using Lubecorp's diesel conditioner,premium diesel plus, for years in both of my dodges, made right here in Calgary http://www.lubecorp.com/

I also use the gas additive in our matrix.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Banned

NADP has their own house brand of diesel conditioner, and it's what I've run for the last 100,000km in my 2008 ford
Old 02-03-2012, 08:12 AM

Feul!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:26 AM

Default diesel conditioner

I have a 2006 dodge
Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 AM

Howes diesel treat is one of the better ones. Alcohol should not be used in diesel fuel as it does not go into solution with the fuel, if it happens to make it though the filter it can and will damage injection components. Usually it causes filters to clog and collapse if it is use over time.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsummit View Post
I have a 2006 dodge
Those common rail dodges are a little finicky with conditioners. I wouldn't run anything in it. I have an '03 and have yet to add anything to the fuel.

Some of the older 12V cummins and 7.3L powerstrokes responded well to the additives but your engine is significantly newer.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:53 AM

I use Lucas in my 01 Cummins 24v on the occasion. I also use it on my VW TDI every once and a while. Don't really notice any difference.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:13 AM

I run the Stanadyne Performance Formula Diesel Fuel Additive in my 2007 Duramax. Not sure if it does much in my truck but it couldnt hurt but it is a bit pricey.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM

I've run with Stanadyne for over 15 years in Fords and Dodges, plus heavy equipment, and the past few years in gensets, never had a problem and am a firm believer i it working. Also find it pays for itself in fuel savings, realized a 20% difference in the gensets, always get over 30 mpg on the highway with pickups. And all manufacturers approve it.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:10 PM

What does Cummins say?? In my ISL they suggest, Do NOt use additives
Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 PM

Default additive

One liter two stroke engine oil every second tank. my 5.9 cummins has 1.1 million k
Old 02-03-2012, 05:00 PM

If you think your injector tips are dirty the best thing to do is have them cleaned and tested.
Using a fuel additive at best will only make your problem go away for a short time then re appear.

The old style injectors benifitted very well from the use of conditioners. Or where fuel is stored for long periods of time. Nowadays very few manufacturers recommend the use of fuel conditioners/ cleaners.

Not sure where you live but in Red Deer we have Central Diesel Injection, they have saved me three times on the replacement of injectors. Art the onwer will have his guys pull your injectors, clean then then test them. He will then recommend to what you need to do.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:02 PM

Best Diesel Fuel Conditioner = NO CONDITIONER - Just clean diesel fuel!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 PM

Some things to think about;
GM does not recommend the use of fuel injection cleaner; but list some ideas if you insist.
If you choose to use a fuel conditioner make sure it is a emulisifier and not a demulsifier. Demulsifier contains alcohol which when mixed with water both will pass through the water separator through the pump and injector which will damage the components;
Stanadyne is an emulisifier conditioner, available at Central diesel injection in Red Deer, and if you purchase in a 64 oz bottle its reasonably priced, and buy a 6 pack and get 6 for the price of 5!!!.Stanadyne is only one example of whats (IMO) is okay to use, just do your research.

2 cycle oil;
not a good idea if your diesel has the new DPF system. It will cause more frequent regen's. depending on how much is used....
Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 PM

I am pretty sure you want a demuslifier conditioner if you use one. That way your water filter will capture the water, instead of allowing it through the filter.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinggr81 View Post
x1000 !!!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmckee View Post
I've been using Lubecorp's diesel conditioner,premium diesel plus, for years in both of my dodges, made right here in Calgary http://www.lubecorp.com/

I also use the gas additive in our matrix.
Double this. Lubecorp makes a great product. Available at any UFA. The other conditioner that I have found that is a great product is Boss lubricants. They are the only 2 additives that I will use in stuff (i.e., trucks, tractor, bobcat...) .
Old 02-03-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-284 View Post
One liter two stroke engine oil every second tank. my 5.9 cummins has 1.1 million k
I agree on the 2 stroke oil.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinggr81 View Post

X2

Im a firm believer in this, I had a 98 12v Cummins, put 400K on and never had to touch the engine (well fixed one oil leak), running a 2009 6.7L right now, at 160k and it has been perfect.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 AM

I rarely use anything in my 2008 Dodge 6.7 Cummins.
If I do, its when the temp drops well below -30C for a week because I cant plug my truck in at work and would hate for the fuel lines to start gelling.
Amsoil makes Diesel Concentrate and also has it with clod flo improver.
But besides that I dont use anything

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/adf.aspx
Old 02-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Some things to think about;
GM does not recommend the use of fuel injection cleaner; but list some ideas if you insist.
If you choose to use a fuel conditioner make sure it is a emulisifier and not a demulsifier. Demulsifier contains alcohol which when mixed with water both will pass through the water separator through the pump and injector which will damage the components;
Stanadyne is an emulisifier conditioner, available at Central diesel injection in Red Deer, and if you purchase in a 64 oz bottle its reasonably priced, and buy a 6 pack and get 6 for the price of 5!!!.Stanadyne is only one example of whats (IMO) is okay to use, just do your research.

2 cycle oil;
not a good idea if your diesel has the new DPF system. It will cause more frequent regen's. depending on how much is used....
I am pretty sure you want a demuslifier conditioner if you use one. That way your water filter will capture the water, instead of allowing it through the filter.

Yes, , my bad, had the demulsifier and emulsifier backwards.

Also, most conditioners also contain Cetane boost which can be a benefit as well.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Default condititoner

forgot to add my 07 6.7 cummins has 447.000 klm got 2 stroke treatment 1st tank, been told the injectors are only good for 300 k, must of got lucky i guess.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 AM

I was having issues with my fuel system and ran a can of Seafoam through it and it cleared right up. Not sure I would run it continuously but it sure helped.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 AM

The following are the preliminary results of a research study on diesel fuel Lubricity Additives. There is likely to be further commentary and explanation added at a future time.

PURPOSE:

The purpose of this research was to determine the ability of multiple diesel fuel additives to replace the vital lubricity component in ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel) fuel.

HISTORY:

ULSD fuel is the fuel currently mandated for use in all on road diesel engines. This fuel burns cleaner and is less polluting than it’s predecessor, called Low Sulfer Diesel Fuel. Low sulfer fuel contained less than 500 ppm of sulfer. ULSD contains 15 ppm or less.
As diesel fuel is further refined to remove the polluting sulfer, it is inadvertently stripped of its lubricating properties. This vital lubrication is a necessary component of the diesel fuel as it prevents wear in the fuel delivery system. Specifically, it lubricates pumps, high pressure pumps and injectors. Traditional Low sulfer diesel fuel typically contained enough lubricating ability to suffice the needs of these vital components. ULSD fuel, on the other hand, is considered to be very “dry” and incapable of lubricating vital fuel delivery components. As a result, these components are at risk of premature and even catastrophic failure when ULSD fuel is introduced to the system. As a result, all oil companies producing ULSD fuel must replace the lost lubricity with additives. All ULSD fuel purchased at retail fuel stations SHOULD be adequately treated with additives to replace this lost lubricity. The potential result of using inadequately treated fuel, as indicated above, can be catastrophic. There have been many documented cases of randomly tested samples of diesel fuel. These tests prove that often times the fuel we purchase is not adequately treated and may therefore contribute to accelerated wear of our fuel delivery systems. For this reason it may be prudent to use an after market diesel fuel additive to ENSURE adequate lubrication of the fuel delivery system. Additionally, many additives can offer added benefits such as cetane improver, and water separators or emulsifiers.

CONTENT:

In this study we will test multiple diesel fuel additives designed to replace lost lubricity. The primary component of this study is a side-by-side laboratory analysis of each additive’s ability to replace this vital lubricity. Additionally, claims of improving cetane, water separation or emulsification, bio-diesel compatibility and alcohol content will be noted. These notes were derived from information that was readily available to consumers (via the label and internet information) and none of this information has been evaluated for validity and/or performance. Cetane information has only been noted if the word “cetane” was used in the advertising information. The words “improves power” has not been translated to mean “improves cetane” in this evaluation. Information on alcohol content is provided by indicating “contains no alcohol”. Omission of the words “contains no alcohol” does not imply that it does contain alcohol. This information was simply missing in the information available to a consumer. However, the possibility of a form of alcohol in these products is possible. Additionally, information on dosages and cost per tankful are included for comparison purposes.

How Diesel Fuel Is Evaluated For Lubricating Ability:

Diesel fuel and other fluids are tested for lubricating ability using a device called a “High Frequency Reciprocating Rig” or HFRR. The HFRR is currently the Internationally accepted, standardized method to evaluate fluids for lubricating ability. It uses a ball bearing that reciprocates or moves back and forth on a metal surface at a very high frequency for a duration of 90 minutes. The machine does this while the ball bearing and metal surface are immersed in the test fluid (in this case, treated diesel fuel). At the end of the test the ball bearing is examined under a microscope and the “wear scar” on the ball bearing is measured in microns. The larger the wear scar, the poorer the lubricating ability of the fluid. Southwest Research runs every sample twice and averages the size of the wear scar.
The U.S. standard for diesel fuel says a commercially available diesel fuel should produce a wear scar of no greater than 520 microns. The Engine Manufacturers Association had requested a standard of a wear scar no greater than 460 microns, typical of the pre-ULSD fuels. Most experts agree that a 520 micron standard is adequate, but also that the lower the wear scar the better.

METHOD:

An independent research firm in Texas was hired to do the laboratory work. The cost of the research was paid for voluntarily by the participating additive manufacturers. Declining to participate and pay for the research were the following companies: Amsoil and Power Service. Because these are popular products it was determined that they needed to be included in the study. These products were tested using funds collected by diesel enthusiasts at “dieselplace.com”. Additionally, unconventional additives such as 2-cycle oil and used motor oil were tested for their abilities to aid in diesel fuel lubricity. These were also paid for by members of “dieselplace.com”.
The study was conducted in the following manner:
-The Research firm obtained a quantity of “untreated” ULSD fuel from a supplier. This fuel was basic ULSD fuel intended for use in diesel engines. However, this sample was acquired PRIOR to any attempt to additize the fuel for the purpose of replacing lost lubricity. In other words, it was a “worst case scenario, very dry diesel fuel” that would likely cause damage to any fuel delivery system. This fuel was tested using the HFRR at the Southwest Research Laboratory. This fuel was determined to have a very high HFRR score of 636 microns, typical of an untreated ULSD fuel. It was determined that this batch of fuel would be utilized as the baseline fuel for testing all of the additives. The baseline fuel HFRR score of 636 would be used as the control sample. All additives tested would be evaluated on their ability to replace lost lubricity to the fuel by comparing their scores to the control sample. Any score under 636 shows improvement to the fuels ability to lubricate the fuel delivery system of a diesel engine.

BLIND STUDY:

In order to ensure a completely unbiased approach to the study, the following steps were taken:
Each additive tested was obtained independently via internet or over the counter purchases. The only exceptions were Opti-Lube XPD and the bio-diesel sample. The reason for this is because Opti-Lube XPD additive was considered “experimental” at the time of test enrollment and was not yet on the market. It was sent directly from Opti-Lube company. The bio-diesel sample was sponsored by Renewable Energy Group. One of their suppliers, E.H. Wolf and Sons in Slinger, Wisconsin supplied us with a sample of 100% soybean based bio-diesel. This sample was used to blend with the baseline fuel to create a 2% bio-diesel for testing.
Each additive was bottled separately in identical glass containers. The bottles were labeled only with a number. This number corresponded to the additive contained in the bottle. The order of numbering was done randomly by drawing names out of a hat. Only Spicer Research held the key to the additives in each bottle.
The additive samples were then sent in a box to An independent research firm. The only information given them was the ratio of fuel to be added to each additive sample. For example, bottle “A” needs to be mixed at a ratio of “480-1”. The ratio used for each additive was the “prescribed dosage” found on the bottle label for that product. Used motor oil and 2-cycle oil were tested at a rationally chosen ratio of 200:1.
The Research Laboratory mixed the proper ratio of each “bottled fluid” into a separate container containing the baseline fuel. The data, therefore, is meaningful because every additive is tested in the same way using the same fuel. A side-by-side comparison of the effectiveness of each additive is now obtainable.

THE RESULTS:

These results are listed in the order of performance in the HFRR test. The baseline fuel used in every test started at an HFRR score of 636. The score shown is the tested HFRR score of the baseline fuel/additive blend.
Also included is the wear scar improvement provided by the additive as well as other claimed benefits of the additive. Each additive is also categorized as a Multi-purpose additive, Multi-purpose + anti-gel, Lubricity only, non-conventional, or as an additive capable of treating both gasoline and diesel fuel.
As a convenience to the reader there is also information on price per treated tank of diesel fuel (using a 26 gallon tank), and dosage per 26 gallon tank provided as “ounces of additive per 26 gallon tank”.

In Order Of Performance:

1) 2% REG SoyPower biodiesel
HFRR 221, 415 micron improvement.
50:1 ratio of baseline fuel to 100% biodiesel
66.56 oz. of 100% biodiesel per 26 gallons of diesel fuel
Price: market value

2)Opti-Lube XPD
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, demulsifier
HFRR 317, 319 micron improvement.
256:1 ratio
13 oz/tank
$4.35/tank

3)FPPF RV, Bus, SUV Diesel/Gas fuel treatment
Gas and Diesel
cetane improver, emulsifier
HFRR 439, 197 micron improvement
640:1 ratio
5.2 oz/tank
$2.60/tank

4)Opti-Lube Summer Blend
Multi-purpose
demulsifier
HFRR 447, 189 micron improvement
3000:1 ratio
1.11 oz/tank
$0.68/tank

5)Opti-Lube Winter Blend
Muti-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver
HFRR 461, 175 micron improvement
512:1 ratio
6.5 oz/tank
$3.65/tank

6)Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, emulsifier, bio-diesel compatible
HFRR 470, 166 micron improvement
1000:1 ratio
3.32 oz/tank
$1.87/tank

7)Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 engine oil
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems)
HFRR 474, 162 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
$1.09/tank

8)Stanadyne Lubricity Formula
Lubricity Only
demulsifier, 5% bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 479, 157 micron improvement
3.32 oz/tank
$1.00/tank

9)Amsoil Diesel Concentrate
Multi-purpose
demulsifier, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 488, 148 micron improvement
640:1 ratio
5.2 oz/tank
$2.16/tank

10)Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost
Multi-purpose
Cetane improver, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 575, 61 micron improvement
400:1 ratio
8.32 oz/tank
$1.58/tank

11)Howe’s Meaner Power Kleaner
Multi-purpose
Alcohol free
HFRR 586, 50 micron improvement
3.32 oz/tank
$1.36/tank

12)Stanadyne Performance Formula
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
cetane improver, demulsifier, 5% bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
HFRR 603, 33 micron improvement
480:1 ratio
6.9 oz/tank
$4.35/tank

13)Used Motor Oil, Shell Rotella T 15w40, 5,000 miles used.
Unconventional (Not ULSD compliant, may damage systems)
HFRR 634, 2 micron improvement
200:1 ratio
16.64 oz/tank
price: market value

14)Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant
Gas or diesel
HFRR 641, 5 microns worse than baseline (statistically insignificant change)
427:1 ratio
7.8 oz/tank
$2.65/tank

15)B1000 Diesel Fuel Conditioner by Milligan Biotech
Multi-purpose, canola oil based additive
HFRR 644, 8 microns worse than baseline (statistically insignificant change)
3.32 oz/tank
$2.67/tank

16)FPPF Lubricity Plus Fuel Power
Multi-purpose + anti-gel
Emulsifier, alcohol free
HFRR 675, 39 microns worse than baseline fuel
3.32 oz/tank
$1.12/tank

17)Marvel Mystery Oil
Gas, oil and Diesel fuel additive (NOT ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 and newer systems)
HFRR 678, 42 microns worse than baseline fuel.
320:1 ratio
10.4 oz/tank
$3.22/tank

18)ValvTect Diesel Guard Heavy Duty/Marine Diesel Fuel Additive
Multi-purpose
Cetane improver, emulsifier, alcohol free
HFRR 696, 60 microns worse than baseline fuel
3.32 oz/tank
$2.38/tank

19)Primrose Power Blend 2003
Multi-purpose
Cetane boost, bio-diesel compatible, emulsifier
HFRR 711, 75 microns worse than baseline
1066:1 ratio
3.12 oz/tank
$1.39/tank

CONCLUSIONS:

Products 1 through 4 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 460 or better. This meets the most strict requirements requested by the Engine Manufacturers Association.
Products 1 through 9 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 520 or better, meeting the U.S. diesel fuel requirements for maximum wear scar in a commercially available diesel fuel.
Products 16 through 19 were found to cause the fuel/additive blend to perform worse than the baseline fuel. The cause for this is speculative. This is not unprecedented in HFRR testing and can be caused by alcohol or other components in the additives. Further investigation into the possibilities behind these poor results will investigated.
Any additive testing within +/- 20 microns of the baseline fuel could be considered to have no significant change. The repeatability of this test allows for a +/- 20 micron variability to be considered insignificant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...