Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2018, 09:54 AM

Default Roll cast

Haveing fished big rivers for many years, I have found it from time to time, advantageous to use a roll cast. For example, if you are at maximum wadeing depth, and you want to make a long cast ,to a riseing fish, as you bring the rod back to about a 45 degree angle, and at the right time, snap the rod tip down sharply,it will create a "roll" in the line. Its a worth while cast to pratice, and as you perfect the timeing and the sharpnest of the "whip" you will be amazed at the long distance that can be achieved. I have watched people fish who have perfected this cast a joy to behold,,the line running out, and the fly dropping down at great distance, very softly.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:14 PM

You're preaching to the converted here, but still can't spell properly
Old 03-25-2018, 07:01 PM

Default unprofitable comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
You're preaching to the converted here, but still can't spell properly
There is a larger audience than you on the forum, just check out how many people are logged on...that don't care about spelling or grammar.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:14 PM

They say necessity is the mother of invention and that goes especially for roll-casting. It is absolutely necessary in creeks like Stauffer and S. Raven and is probably better used and easier to manipulate when casting shorter distances.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
There is a larger audience than you on the forum, just check out how many people are logged on...that don't care about spelling or grammar.
I currently see 945 active users! That's a lot! There is nothing to indicate as to whether or not they care about spelling or grammar. I guess we have to assume that no one cares unless they make mention of it.
I'm mentioning it. I care.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:00 PM

As do I.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:29 AM
Banned

eye due two their fore eye relay hone splled checque
Old 03-26-2018, 09:19 AM

Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
As do I.

-Confucius
Old 03-26-2018, 09:40 AM

Default Roll cast

The roll cast, when perfected is excellant on rivers,ponds, lakes, when regular casting not possible because of of trees, rocks, etc. Pratice makes perfect, at first difficult, once you get the hang of it, for sure you will use it on a regular bases. cheers ---wont be long now and the ice will be gone.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:47 AM

I started to use the roll cast lately too. Have yet to master it , but when it does work, it is an art in itself. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:05 AM

Default Roll casting

Hi guys
Rio has a new single hand fly rod line out there for single hand spey casting that allows you to do a supper easy roll cast yet still allows you to do a pretty good long distance cast. Same type of line used for two handed rods just sized down for single hand rods. Once you learn how to use this line you may never go back
to a weight forward line on the river ever again. Doing a 60 or 70 foot plus leader, roll cast is possible. And of course, the heavier the line the longer the cast.
Bjay
Old 03-26-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
eye due two their fore eye relay hone splled checque
Good poynt!
Old 03-26-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
I currently see 945 active users! That's a lot! There is nothing to indicate as to whether or not they care about spelling or grammar. I guess we have to assume that no one cares unless they make mention of it.
I'm mentioning it. I care.
For the record, I care too but Coyoteman stays positive and talks about fly fishing topics (albeit almost completely random topics within the fly fishing knowledge base). He does not put people down. He deserves a venue to say what he wants to say.

The randomness of topics and bad spelling remind me of my grandma trying to use 'one of those fangled computers' asking "why are there red lines under everything I type" or my uncle getting his first iPhone but not having eyesight good enough to differentiate between the comma and the period.

I do not know how old coyoteman but I have the feeling he has not had the internet all his life. I just read coyoteman's posts in Grandpa Simpsons voice.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
For the record, I care too but Coyoteman stays positive and talks about fly fishing topics (albeit almost completely random topics within the fly fishing knowledge base). He does not put people down. He deserves a venue to say what he wants to say.
[/URL]
You do know he said "Spin Rod" in a fly fishing category? Do you understand the unthinkable punishments for such an error in judgement? The Fly Fishing Gods will determine his fate. He can only hope they go easy on him. This isn't over.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
You do know he said "Spin Rod" in a fly fishing category? Do you understand the unthinkable punishments for such an error in judgement? The Fly Fishing Gods will determine his fate. He can only hope they go easy on him. This isn't over.
To mitigate some of the potential punishment I would suggest he debarb every hook, and also check the leader for "wind knots or tailing loop knots" after every retrieve.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:42 AM

Default roll cast

There are several different types of roll cast,depending on river conditions.
Bjay an excellant suggestion, the use of a specific fly line to improve the ease of presentation with a roll case. Now thats a worthwhile project and one I plan to look into.
Oh boy, may need another fly line----maybe rod and reel to match.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:59 AM

Default flyfishing

weedy 1---mr flyguy---since i arrived in Ab and fly fished from the border to Grand Prairie, I have developed several flys which my friends use with great success--If my small indiscretion can be overlooked, I can forward these patterns to you, and we can consider the matter closed. rgds D
Old 03-27-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
To mitigate some of the potential punishment I would suggest he debarb every hook, and also check the leader for "wind knots or tailing loop knots" after every retrieve.
https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.2910...bbf65ee.u3.jpg

And, what if coyoteman casts better than you?
Old 03-27-2018, 02:46 PM

Since I roll cast most of the time, my rod and fly line is geared towards roll casting. Try going up a size on your line weight greatly increases my success. Lee wulff triangluar taper lines work great and I'm currently running a airflo delta taper line that makes roll casting a breeze. As Bjay said, look at a line designed to roll cast to improve your casts. I believe they have longer heads
Old 03-27-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.2910...bbf65ee.u3.jpg

And, what if coyoteman casts better than you?
Might very well do, but with a spinning rod of course!
Old 03-27-2018, 04:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes!
That should quiet down the rabble.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:30 AM

Default Roll cast

Is the air flo delta tapered fly line available in Calgary? always room for improvement and fine tuneing.
You mentioned Lee Wulff, He had a huge fishing camp on the portland river in Nlld. The air strip big enough for two engines planes.He came close to owning rights to a section of the river, but was stopped by the nfld government.
The portland hitch gets it name from a circumstance created on that river, buts thats for another thread.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:03 AM

Default roll cast

Quote:
I at one time did sports sports shows, across the mid west, to solicit clients for a bear camp in northern Ont.
A major rod manufacturer had a hot shot champion to demonstrate there rods.He did in fact beat me by about a meter.
I am a fun loveing guy, and if anyone was to challenge that statment, we could meet on the bow, to settle the matter--we could have a camera man on site--to record the event--Mr fly guy lets see if you are as good on the river as you are on the forum.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Is the air flo delta tapered fly line available in Calgary? always room for improvement and fine tuneing.
You mentioned Lee Wulff, He had a huge fishing camp on the portland river in Nlld. The air strip big enough for two engines planes.He came close to owning rights to a section of the river, but was stopped by the nfld government.
The portland hitch gets it name from a circumstance created on that river, buts thats for another thread.
Airflo River and Stream is a very nice line that roll casts better than most lines. I get my lines at Fish Tales.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
I at one time did sports sports shows, across the mid west, to solicit clients for a bear camp in northern Ont.
A major rod manufacturer had a hot shot champion to demonstrate there rods.He did in fact beat me by about a meter.
I am a fun loveing guy, and if anyone was to challenge that statment, we could meet on the bow, to settle the matter--we could have a camera man on site--to record the event--Mr fly guy lets see if you are as good on the river as you are on the forum.
http://www.quotehd.com/quotes/bob-ge...old-move-comes

It's on!
Old 03-29-2018, 07:59 AM

Default roll cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Airflo River and Stream is a very nice line that roll casts better than most lines. I get my lines at Fish Tales.
Thanks for takeing the time to reply, its a time saver, now i can right to it.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:27 AM

Default roll cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post

The randomness of topics and bad spelling remind me of my grandma trying to use 'one of those fangled computers' asking "why are there red lines under everything I type" or my uncle getting his first iPhone but not having eyesight good enough to differentiate between the comma and the period.

I do not know how old coyoteman but I have the feeling he has not had the internet all his life. I just read coyoteman's posts in Grandpa Simpsons voice.
My 30 plus years with large corporation, for sure the girls spoiled me, and corrected my english---You are good on the forum--how about on the river ??? how is your long distance casting ?? Come on you might get lucky.