Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Default 2011 Jeep Compass

Hey Everyone! I have been eying up some new vehicles lately, and the 2011 Jeep Compass has caught my eye. I just want to hear some of your reviews about the vehicle. For an MSRP of $18,995, is it junk? I do not know anyone that owns a jeep, so I have heard minimal reviews. I will not be abusing it, just for city/highway driving, and the occasional dirt road to get to some hunting/fishing spots. Let me know what you think. Opinions are welcome, but please keep it tame. The price is right around my budget; I wouldnt want to go above $22,000, and I'm not really interested in buying used.

Again, Thanks! (And check out my Reader Submitted story in this month's AO!!)

-Fallen
Old 07-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Hey Everyone! I have been eying up some new vehicles lately, and the 2011 Jeep Compass has caught my eye. I just want to hear some of your reviews about the vehicle. For an MSRP of $18,995, is it junk? I do not know anyone that owns a jeep, so I have heard minimal reviews. I will not be abusing it, just for city/highway driving, and the occasional dirt road to get to some hunting/fishing spots. Let me know what you think. Opinions are welcome, but please keep it tame. The price is right around my budget; I wouldnt want to go above $22,000, and I'm not really interested in buying used.

Again, Thanks! (And check out my Reader Submitted story in this month's AO!!)

-Fallen
I don't know much about them but it depends on what you consider offroad?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
I don't know much about them but it depends on what you consider offroad?
Very tame. At most, going through gopher fields. It will mostly be a city vehicle type deal.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 PM

Exclamation Rethink 'Used'

Quote:
. . . I wouldnt want to go above $22,000, and I'm not really interested in buying used . . .
A new SUV for $22K or less, will get you a 'marginal' vehicle at best ... if you go for a Compass, prepare thyself for a 'marginal' experience (on & off road).

If you were to reconsider going used, that $22K would buy you a real nice, good quality, late model SUV. Take a look at some of the late model Japanese (Toyota/Nissan/etc.) SUV's with small or mid-sized V6's.

If your driving will be ~90% 'on-road', with little towing, I'm guessing a late model Toyota Highlander just might be perfect for you.

My two cents,

TF
Old 07-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Very tame. At most, going through gopher fields. It will mostly be a city vehicle type deal.
should do fine then.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:47 PM

I have a 2009 Compass for work. It is the AWD version. First things I don't like about it. Puny fuel tank at 51L. Can only get about 450km on the highway and have to fuel up. Lots of road noise in the cabin. Have to have the radio cranked to make up for it. At under 60K KM I had to have the rear links replaced at just under $1000 (under warranty). Now at almost 70K KM the front end is knocking on bumps so prolly another grand up front. Not great quality. It is actually not a Jeep but a badged over Dodge Caliber. Fuel mileage I get about 9.5L/100Km on average each tank, combo highway, gravel, city.

Power is ok with the 2.4L 4cyl with CVT tranny. Handles gravel quite well and have had it in fields and on some pretty sketchy donkey trails with no problems. You do have to turn the ESP off to get any tire spin in snow or wet conditions. Has lots of room in the cabin for me and I am 6'3" and pushin 300lbs. Seems alright for passengers as well.

I wouldn't own one myself. This one was issued from work. I just don't like the build quality now that I have a couple years in it and near 70K. I see some expensive repairs coming later in life. Work wants me to keep it 7yrs 175K. It ain't gonna live that long I fear.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:14 PM

I looked into one a few years ago. The continuous variable transmission (basically a belt drive) turned me off. And little power. My RAV4 has about 120 hp more. It's like a KIA. if you want a little run-about that is good in slippery conditions on paved roads it will fit the bill. of course you can drive it on gravel and a little bit of snow. Anything can do that. You are not going to ford streams with it or handle mud bogs. But if you just want a vehicle to commute, go fishing in fairly accessable places, etc., it's probably fine. It's the first step up from a front wheel drive car.

here's a review.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...s/Performance/
Old 07-06-2011, 04:25 PM

the mrs. has her second compass now. 2011 model. she had one previously but i can't remember the model year. it is the awd model,fairly loaded up. she drives about 6 miles of gravel to the highway one way everyday for work and says it is the nicest vehicle she has driven on the gravel roads. her only complaint is the size of the fuel tank. we did not have a single issue with the first one. easy to work on for maintenance,oil changes,etc. if you were to ask her she would highly recommend one.the cvt tranny takes some getting used to but works well also it acts like an exhaust brake on a diesel so as soon as you take your foot off of the gas pedal its starts to slow down so the brakes last a lot longer!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:51 PM

I owned a Jeep Patriot same engine, better cab ,more room .SAME PRICE.took it hunting, did a ton of driving from Edm to peace to GP and back...great mileage..had some front end issues covered by warranty. I had a Northern pkg heated seats satellite A/C etc..just traded it off on a truck. I loved the Patriot...loved the switch on the fly 4x4 ..never got stuck once in winter..