Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
i come up behind many folks every day and I always leave some room and give em time to move over...so we agree there.

The problem is probably a third of them dont move over even when done passing. So you move up a little closer, ride the rumble strip a bit etc...give them every chance to see you and adjust accordingly and they still hold their ground.

Pass on the right and suddenly you are in a highway drag race as they "make your day"
Ya, if you stay back at a safe distance, the person in front doesn't notice you or doesn't think you want to pass, and if you get up close, they don't move over for spite.
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:05 PM

People who do not know how to merge....

This in right who stop instead of working into a gap like cogs in a gear,

And those who do not understand that traffic alternates at a merge... if you are in highway lane and a vehicle is merging ahead of you they actually have the right of way!... It is a ***** move to speed up and not let merging traffic in... if you want to go faster...get in left lane...altogether.

As for the lane blocked off and everybody getting over to flow lane... in europe everyone travels up to blockage then alternates traffic at the blockage and as a result is actually more efficient that trying to get everybody into one lane way before the blockage....
Old 10-10-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
The speed limit is the limit, not the prescribed minimum.
+1, and in fact it is the maximum for good road conditions. Snow, rain, fog all may justify slower, safer driving.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Drivers who come to a four way stop, come to a complete stop then proceed to wait for every vehicle that may be approaching the four way to also come to a complete stop before they will take the right of way.

I also dislike the drivers that treat a normal two way stops a four way.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Drivers who come to a four way stop, come to a complete stop then proceed to wait for every vehicle that may be approaching the four way to also come to a complete stop before they will take the right of way.
i do this sort of. i wait until i can visibly see that the car is slowing down. id rather wait an extra 2-3 seconds instead of getting t-boned
Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
i do this sort of. i wait until i can visibly see that the car is slowing down. id rather wait an extra 2-3 seconds instead of getting t-boned
Obviously no one would proceed until they can see that a oncoming vehicle is slowing down to stop, but if you haven't started moving by the time the other guy is stopped, I am afraid you are my peeve
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Gone Hunting

I'm not following some of you. Pull over so you can pass, really!!!

Where does that come from?

If I am doing significantly less then the speed limit, you bet I'll pull over for most people. But If I'm doing the limit or a bit more?

First I have no legal or moral obligation to encourage you to continue exceeding the speed limit. And second, I used to pull over for everyone who wanted to pass, no matter how fast or slow I was going.
Less then one in one hundred ever gave even the slightest indication that they appreciated me doing so. Rather they frequently indicated that they thought I either hadn't got out of their way soon enough or they considered me to be a sucker for pulling over for them.

Then one day I was given a ticket for driving on the shoulder because I pulled over for what I thought was just another motorist.

Now I only pull over if I doing considerably less then the speed limit.

One thing time has taught me. People who tailgate, run HID lamps, refuse to dim, run fog lights when meeting others, exceed the limit by wide margins, pass when it is unsafe and generally drive like idiots have zero respect for other drivers.

Why would I pull over for someone who treats me with utter contempt?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

If I am doing significantly less then the speed limit, you bet I'll pull over for most people. But If I'm doing the limit or a bit more?

First I have no legal or moral obligation to encourage you to continue exceeding the speed limit. And second, I used to pull over for everyone who wanted to pass, no matter how fast or slow I was going.
Less then one in one hundred ever gave even the slightest indication that they appreciated me doing so. Rather they frequently indicated that they thought I either hadn't got out of their way soon enough or they considered me to be a sucker for pulling over for them.

Then one day I was given a ticket for driving on the shoulder because I pulled over for what I thought was just another motorist.

One thing time has taught me. People who tailgate, run HID lamps, refuse to dim, run fog lights when meeting others, exceed the limit by wide margins, pass when it is unsafe and generally drive like idiots have zero respect for other drivers.

Keg. i would be one of the less than one in one hundred that would have appreciated you pulling over for me to pass (plus you'd a gotta wave and a quick session on the hazards as a thank you) :- )
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

I believe most are referring to a 4 lane highway situation.

If you read all the posts, you'll spot the self righteous one who believes if they are going 110 in a 110, they have the right to stay in the left lane and take 30 minutes to get by the rig doing 109.9995. And they are doing it for safety sake on top of it all....how foolish. Stupidity combined with indignation self righteousness....what a great combination.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
I believe most are referring to a 4 lane highway situation.

If you read all the posts, you'll spot the self righteous one who believes if they are going 110 in a 110, they have the right to stay in the left lane and take 30 minutes to get by the rig doing 109.9995. And they are doing it for safety sake on top of it all....how foolish. Stupidity combined with indignation self righteousness....what a great combination.
Oh those guys!

Hey they drive me batty too!! Like the law applies to everyone but them.

Even my 10 year old grandson understands that the left lane is for passing only.

To make matters worse, on two lane highways they are the ones who cut back in just as their back bumper clears my front bumper, like they are afraid of that left lane.

How do those people get a drivers license! Any examiner I know would fail a person for driving like that!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Obviously no one would proceed until they can see that a oncoming vehicle is slowing down to stop, but if you haven't started moving by the time the other guy is stopped, I am afraid you are my peeve:sHa_sarcasticlol:

mine too. do your full and complete stop then git goin!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Gone Hunting

I guess that after spending 364 days a year on two lane highways I find it such a pleasure to have four lanes to drive on I don't notice the lane hogs so much.

And I don't get people trying to prompt me to pull over because I spend most of my time in the right lane anyway.

I just set the cruise at one or two kms over the limit and sit back and enjoy the ride.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:09 AM

How about drivers who suddenly realize they need to go to that exit RIGHT THERE and immediately hit the brakes and cut across a few lanes to make the ramp, often hitting the gravel or jumping a curb. They'd rather risk numerous lives and potential property damage than continue calmly to the next exit and take their little time loss as a lesson to plan ahead/pay attention, etc. I catch myself missing exits usually If I drive a certain pattern on certain roads (route home from work for instance) and go one way on auto-pilot, then realize that's not the way I'm intending to go this time. I eat my mistake, not endanger others.

There should be an inclusion of this scenario for new driver education. One can always double back from the next freeway exit, or go around the next block.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:38 AM

In New Zealand you can be ticketed if going below the speed limit, and the leading vehicle of 3 or more vehicles can be fined if not pulling over to allow the other vehicles to pass. I like it. So many people are sooooo abiding by the law that they become a danger to others as seen by some of the posts. These laws make sense.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777
Just the other day a truck refused to go over 85km creating a train of cars..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
The speed limit is the limit, not the prescribed minimum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Just the other day a truck refused to go over 85km creating a train of cars
behind me in a 100km zone,no passing permitted,so we all had to wait until the road lanes opened up...
Please read thoroughly before lashings..
Key words: '100km/hr speed limit'

Last edited by tri777; 10-11-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777
Just the other day a truck refused to go over 85km creating a train of cars..

Please read thoroughly before lashings..
Key words: '100km/hr speed limit'
he's pointing out that 100 is the MAX so you would be allowed to go 85... some people think that anything over the speed limit is unsafe and the slower you go the safer...........
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
So report them.

It still doesn't explain how a license plate will keep morons from running into farm equipment, or farmers from doing stupid stuff. I had the misfortune yesterday to be in a city, yup, all perfect drivers, never saw anything that wasn't legal, stupid or otherwise. Way to go city folks your tops in my books. Wait until November when you are all out running me off the road because you are gawking into my pasture with cattle, wondering how you can shoot that deer, and get it out without permission. Can't wait.
Heehee- then you call me up and we go do some 'scouting'

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
he's pointing out that 100 is the MAX so you would be allowed to go 85... some people think that anything over the speed limit is unsafe and the slower you go the safer...........
Thx!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
i come up behind many folks every day and I always leave some room and give em time to move over...so we agree there.

The problem is probably a third of them dont move over even when done passing. So you move up a little closer, ride the rumble strip a bit etc...give them every chance to see you and adjust accordingly and they still hold their ground.

Pass on the right and suddenly you are in a highway drag race as they "make your day"
Yea. some people are complete idiots. I try to drive with some form of respect for everyone. The just of what I was trying to say, is if someone disrespects me by tailgating me, I'm going to slow them down a bit.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:05 PM

Default Cattle Drive

For anyone traveling Hwy #21 just south of Delburne on next sunday about 11:30 watch out for a couple hundred head of Red cows crossing It'll only take me a couple a minutes if you guys stop and a lot longer if you don't

To all of you who stop thanks, stop in and I'll buy you a beer
To those that don't I hope a bird S!!ts on your head
Old 10-17-2012, 01:10 PM

Drivers that can't decide what lane they want even when there is no 1 else in site....
Old 10-17-2012, 02:37 PM

Cars passing going 2kms faster than me takes forever, I think when your going 110 kms side by side is very dangerous if a moose jumped out and either driver reacted it would be an instant accident. Besides if your passing me your already speeding kick it up a fews clicks and gitrdone.

Morons that speed up when you are passing them

Cruise control should be manditory
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM

Default I can't help myself!

For all the poster who "hate" the fast lane driver who does the speed limit, pray tell......

What is the legal speed limit for the "fast" lane and I don't want your "opinion" I want a quote out of the traffic laws?

And before the flaming starts, I drive the speed limit in all lanes and use the left lane to pass. In the city (only) I use the left lane to avoid all entering/exiting traffic during morning rush hour, but I never go slower than the speed limit, unless there is someone ahead of me that is of course.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
For all the poster who "hate" the fast lane driver who does the speed limit, pray tell......

What is the legal speed limit for the "fast" lane and I don't want your "opinion" I want a quote out of the traffic laws?

And before the flaming starts, I drive the speed limit in all lanes and use the left lane to pass. In the city (only) I use the left lane to avoid all entering/exiting traffic during morning rush hour, but I never go slower than the speed limit, unless there is someone ahead of me that is of course.
So if someone is going 98km/h, you pass them at 2km/h? This is safer than passing quickly?

Be safe, go with the flow.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 PM

Default Sigh

If they are going 98 and cannot pass them if I'm doing 2 Kph......but I digress.....just kidding.

No, if someone is doing 98 I wait until it is safe to pass them, that would be until the traffic in the left lane is cleared far enough back to allow me an interval long enough to pass safely, and without exceeding the speed limit, which if the limit is 110 Kph, should not be a long pass.

If the limit is 100, take a pill and relax, the extra 2 Kph will not set you back in life much!

Mind you in my experience (in Alberta) even if I could see 2 km back and there was no traffic, the minute I was even with the vehicle I was passing, somebody would come roaring up from the rear and tailgate while swearing at me, flashing their lights, and giving me the finger until I was passed and got out of their way after committing the unholy sin of holding them up from doing 140 Kph for a whole 30 seconds (if that).

For those that speed, and apparently think those who do not are such terrible people, do the math on how much time you actually save getting to the red light first, then ask, is it worth it?
Old 10-18-2012, 06:14 PM

i've just read thru this whole thread and I can't believe I haven't read my NUMBER 1 pet peeve!!
I've had it with morons who pull right in front of me when I'm driving the speed limit and in the right lane on a 4 lane highway, and there's nobody else in sight behind us.
Why!!!
To spray pebbles at my windshield??
There is no reason to cut right back in front of me...you can drive another kilometer and cut back if you so wish.
People have no brains...their programmed to pass in the left lane and drive in the right.
Some days when this happens to me more than once I just decide to drive the speed limit in the left lane so nobody cuts in front of me. I get lots of dirty looks but its probably from the morons who would pull in front of me anyway so I couldn't care less.

HAVE A NICE DAY !!!!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
i've just read thru this whole thread and I can't believe I haven't read my NUMBER 1 pet peeve!!
I've had it with morons who pull right in front of me when I'm driving the speed limit and in the right lane on a 4 lane highway, and there's nobody else in sight behind us.
Why!!!
To spray pebbles at my windshield??
There is no reason to cut right back in front of me...you can drive another kilometer and cut back if you so wish.
People have no brains...their programmed to pass in the left lane and drive in the right.
Some days when this happens to me more than once I just decide to drive the speed limit in the left lane so nobody cuts in front of me. I get lots of dirty looks but its probably from the morons who would pull in front of me anyway so I couldn't care less.

HAVE A NICE DAY !!!!!!
People who pass in the left lane and then move back to the right lane have no brains? hahahaha

Ya but people who intentionally plug up the passing lane cause they are mad that other drivers "cut in front" of them are real smart hey?? haha!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Ya but people who intentionally plug up the passing lane cause they are mad that other drivers "cut in front" of them are real smart hey?? haha!
The sad part is, that they probably actually believe that what they are doing is intelligent behaviour.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
People who pass in the left lane and then move back to the right lane have no brains? hahahaha

Ok...so its you.
Why are you so inclined to cut back in instantly?
Typical ''me'' society crap that irks me big time...
Old 10-18-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The sad part is, that they probably actually believe that what they are doing is intelligent behaviour.
Nice edit...
Don't tell me your one that does that too.
You seemed like a level headed individual