Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2008, 01:01 PM

Default boat trailer rock guards

The new boat will be here soon and I want to protect it from road rash. I've looked at a few different types and various price points. They all seem like they will do the job but I'm not sure which one to go with.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:49 AM

This is what I put on my boat trailers. They are not cheap, but they are by far the best designed product, and protect the boat better than anything I have seen yet. www.trailertux.com
Old 06-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
The new boat will be here soon and I want to protect it from road rash. I've looked at a few different types and various price points. They all seem like they will do the job but I'm not sure which one to go with.
I've been looking for something off and on for the last 6 months myself.

I still haven't decided.

Obviously, something like ChrisK posted is the best option, but it's also close to $1500. I'm having a hard time spending that kinda cash. Here's a couple of similar ones that are a little cheaper, but not nearly as nice - http://www.mtrockguard.com http://www.trailer-rockguard.com/prices.html

I really like the Towtector (http://www.towtector.com) too, that way I can use it with all the trailers I tow, from the 5th wheel to sled trailers. Again though, it seems awfully expensive to me for what you get.

In the end, I think I'll fab up a "Towtector" style one myself, I've got some nice aluminum square tube kicking around and access to cheap heavy truck mudflaps. I'll post some picks when I get it finished.

Waxy
Old 06-02-2008, 08:35 AM

I really like the Towtector (http://www.towtector.com) too, that way I can use it with all the trailers I tow, from the 5th wheel to sled trailers. Again though, it seems awfully expensive to me for what you get.

In the end, I think I'll fab up a "Towtector" style one myself, I've got some nice aluminum square tube kicking around and access to cheap heavy truck mudflaps. I'll post some picks when I get it finished.

Waxy[/QUOTE]

There's a spot in Calgary where you can get the "towtector" style flaps: http://www.fiberbuilt.com/contact.html, I think it was around $100 for strip brush 8' wide x 20" long.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 AM

If you talk to the guys at free spirit they can put you in touch with a guy that makes a leather bra for the front of your boat. My neighbour put it on his boat and he has no rock chips and it does not bounce the rocks back to the truck like some of them do also it does not catch the wind causing drag like some of them do. He also has the toetector on his receiver.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinlx View Post
There's a spot in Calgary where you can get the "towtector" style flaps: http://www.fiberbuilt.com/contact.html, I think it was around $100 for strip brush 8' wide x 20" long.
Thanks for the link colinlx!

Waxy
Old 06-02-2008, 09:44 PM

Default damn rock chips

In 05 I had a wreck with some road tar. It took about 5 hours of elbow grease and tar/bug remover to get it off, and that didn't include the bottom of the boat that you couldn't see. So I bought a bow buddy in town here and its worked pretty good http://www.trailer-rockguard.com/ and I think it was only 300 bucks. Its now on its 4th boat and on thursday I drove from G.P. to Slave with about a hundred kms of fresh tar/oil and found 1 tar ball on the boat. I also have mud flaps accross the back of my tow vehicle attached to the hitch which helps keep the rocks off the boat.
tight lines
Old 06-02-2008, 10:55 PM

A cheaper way is to use old pieces of Carpeting. I have pieces that are about 2x2 and cut holes into them. Use Bungy cords or tie with rope on to Bumper. 3 or 4 is sufficient to protect the Hull ...
Old 06-04-2008, 02:29 PM

Default Bow gaurds

I built my own bow protector out of some 1" electrical conduit and some gravel truck tarp. In total I was about $100.00. Once I had it on, worked like a dream, too good. The gravel that was coming off the tires was bouncing off the boat gaurd and dinging my tailgate :, leaving some nasty gouges. My only suggestion is to have a full dirt skirt on the hitch, as well as a boat gaurd.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Banned

I got the wrong thread, I meant to reply to this one, so this is basically a duplicate of the thread in general.

At any rate lol -

I've put on a bunch of miles since, including a fair bit of gravel, and I quickly realized that trailering without some kind of a guard is absolutely ridiculous.

After shopping around and looking almost everything available, as well as talking to ChrisK and Bob, I decided to order one see it for myself. After installing it and testing it out, there's no doubt in my mind that the Trailer Tux is simply the best product available, and that when it comes right down to it, it's worth the price.

It's very well designed and solidly built. On top of that, the customer service that Bob provides is second to none. Every Tux is custom designed to your boat/trailer, and your specifications.

http://www.trailertux.com/default.php

Here's a few pics of it installed on my rig.

Waxy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front View Resized.jpg (106.1 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg Left Side Resized.jpg (104.9 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Right Side Resized.jpg (116.4 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg View of Supports Along the Side of the Boat Resized4.jpg (61.2 KB, 176 views)
Old 07-31-2008, 02:22 PM

Those are definitely the way to go......when you consider the price you pay for these boats, the price you pay for gas to run and tow these boats, and the other expenses you incur while enjoying yourself in the boat.....the price of these guards is a small price in the big picture to protect you boat and your truck!!
Old 07-31-2008, 03:06 PM

Default Trailer Tux

I made a hitch with a solid mud flap that went across the whole rear of my truck. It worked great until I ended up driving through about 3 KM of road repair of which they put down tar, layered a bunch of that "shale" type rock on it, let people drive on it, then sweep it off. The rock guard didn't work so well with this stuff and the hull of my boat is now pitted pretty good.

I wanted to put the trailer tux on when I bought my boat, just couldn't fit it in the budget at the time. If you can afford it, go with the trailer tux or something like it.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:03 PM

I installed a trailer tux on the boat trailer this year to protect
a fiberglass boat
the travelled 500 km of sask. Gravel roads at 80 km per hour
whan i arrived home not a single rock chip on the metal flake gell coat

the best protection i have ever seen at any price

only a fool would not install one

richard
Old 09-27-2009, 01:06 PM

I installed a trailer tux on the boat trailer this year to protect
a fiberglass boat
travelled 500 km of sask. Gravel roads at 80 km per hour
whan i arrived home not a single rock chip on the metal flake gell coat

the best protection i have ever seen at any price

only a fool would not install one

richard
Old 07-26-2010, 10:53 AM

I have the Towtector on my truck, just did the 150 km round trip on gravel to peerless lake and the paint on my boat is destroyed, even the sides have tons of chips. The trailer got the worst of it, and on some forward facing pieces there is NO paint left.....

I am looking at something for the trailer now. The TrailerTux looks nice but I do not like how the arms are permanently attached, and it seems to do nothing for the trailer. I may look more into the "BowBuddy" I like that it is quick removal (for trailering around town), and seems to offer some decent protection (not as good as the Trailertux)
Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Hey, I got a BowGuard last summer and it works great! I'm always travelling down gravel roads and haven't had a mark yet.

You can check them out at www.bowguard.ca
Old 04-04-2011, 09:45 PM

I choose RockGard and BellyGard - Complete protection front to back......if you plan on driving on lots of gravel. I like the fact its quick and easy to remove too.

So far no chips of any kind... 6000km and counting!

Tight Lines....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1966.jpg (96.7 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1965.jpg (74.4 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1962.jpg (72.9 KB, 132 views)
Old 04-04-2011, 09:49 PM

My rock guard was part of my package. The price is worth it what ever it is. I think mine was about 1000
Old 04-05-2011, 10:23 PM

The towtector is nice but as its mounted behind your truck it doesn't protect your boat from flying debris from other vehicles overtaking you or going the opposite direction. Although the majority of the chips would be from your rear wheels.

I think bow buddy would work well though. Based on its price point and its design, I think it'll work in most situation.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
This is what I put on my boat trailers. They are not cheap, but they are by far the best designed product, and protect the boat better than anything I have seen yet. www.trailertux.com
X2
Old 07-04-2011, 08:08 PM

anybody here used rockgard? no compliments about it that i see of unless i just blind ha.. thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 06:06 PM

hey just wondering if anybody else has input about these rock guards for your boat any other tips? or suggestions??. anything would be awesome thanks much appreciated