Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-29-2013, 11:20 PM

Default Who has problems with what augers

I've had a jiffy for 15 yrs an it's finally showin the signs of yrs of hard use so it's time for a new one.some of my buddies are tellin me strike master is the way to go an that the new jiffys aren't that great??others say the opposite..any Input would be apretiated fellas!!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
I've had a jiffy for 15 yrs an it's finally showin the signs of yrs of hard use so it's time for a new one.some of my buddies are tellin me strike master is the way to go an that the new jiffys aren't that great??others say the opposite..any Input would be apretiated fellas!!
Look around find a mod 30 and enjoy an other 15 yrs.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:53 PM

Got a strike master w 10 inch auger.

Not a lot of issues. After 4/5 years of use, some issues w the pull cord system springs, but fixed easily. And got water in the carb or old fuel or ice (cleared up next trip) and yanked the cord too hard too far back, in frustration, till the cord broke.

Got to tighten up the base bolts as it was drilling crooked last year.

Broke the auger to motor flange, but a quick weld fixed it.

Main thing.....it hates last years gas.....not worth it....new each season.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:59 PM

I like my eskimo, only major problem I've had is the gas cap broke on mine and a friends.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 AM

Sorry, its a Stealth STX not a strike master. But as to overall. Drilled a lot of big holes in thick ice, with very few problems so far. An auger failure can mean a wasted drive/fishing day.

Every end of season, I start it, warm it up, then drain all fuel from tank, restart and run till it dies from no fuel. That way there is no fuel gumming up the carb.

And I have yet to sharpen or change blades.....but it's getting close.

Last edited by BlackHeart; 12-30-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Banned

Get a strike masterr or on Eskimo and you'll be happy. The new jiffy sucks according to two of my friends who have sold them and bought the strike master.

If weight is a concern the strike master is lighter. If easy starting is what you are after you cant beat the Eskimo. I personally run the Eskimo with the z71 engine and love it except for when I'm exploring and lugging that heavy b around. I finally stayed bringing a toboggan for when I'm or hole punching searching for fish.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:27 PM

Default Mod 30?

Fish gunner....what is a mod 30?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:58 PM

Jiffy Model 30 with tehcumseh motor.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:12 PM

My jiffy is old. Ran great with last years gas
Old 12-30-2013, 07:02 PM

Brands I've used:
Jiffy
Eskimo
Strikemaster

Brands I've had issues with:
Jiffy - both old models and new

My current Auggie is a Eskimo Shark - three pulls max. Tried using Dads Model 30 he bought in 2002 last weekend and could not get it running for the life of me. He is the only one that can use it as you have to push the primer 4 and a half times, start it with the choke a 1/3 of the way open, tilt it slightly to the gas can side and hold the throttle to the max - if you don't do all of it right... sit for 10 minutes and try again. Even when he starts his Jiff it takes him 10 - 15 pulls before a fire. He's had the carb rebuilt and services it every year. I owned a Jiffy that I bought in 2008 - sold it 2 seasons later after needing warranty work three times. It would start every time after spending a minute or two pullin on her.

I haven't changed out the gas or done any maintenance on the Esky in the 5 years I've owned it. End of the season it goes into storage with half a tank... Pull it out in November and within 3 pulls it's running - Can't beat em IMO
Old 12-30-2013, 07:21 PM

"Tried using Dads Model 30 he bought in 2002 last weekend and could not get it running for the life of me. He is the only one that can use it as you have to push the primer 4 and a half times, start it with the choke a 1/3 of the way open, tilt it slightly to the gas can side and hold the throttle to the max - if you don't do all of it right..."

You forgot you need to stick your tongue out, tilt you head sideways and stand on one leg. I have a Jiffy 30 lol. Pretty accurate description of that worthless, misbegotten spawn of..........

I just can't bring myself to spring for a new one or sell that lemon to someone else LOL. I've been using it for nearly 10 years.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Banned

Cool

Weird cause mine has never missed a beat
Old 12-30-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Weird cause mine has never missed a beat
Could be that they just don't make em like they used to as well... Just speaking from my experience - On the flip side I've talked to many old timers that are still using the jiffy they bought in 1982
Old 12-30-2013, 07:53 PM

It also comes down to type of oil used and grade of fuel
And a good guy to tune it up
Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 PM

Default Augers

I have been using an Eskimo Barracuda for going on 6 winters, no tender loving care and works great. Use # 1 fuel and Gunk FUEL STABILIZER and no more draining or replacing fuel and can be left all summer or winter with no issues with condensation which is always the problem for small engines not starting from one season to the next.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:33 PM

i have an eskimo z51, and my biggest problem is not using it enough!!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:59 PM

Been using my Jiffy 30 for 15+ yrs, had to replace the diaphragm once, no big deal. Looks rough but runs great, kinda like me.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:31 PM

Eskimo ...33 cc. 20 years and still rocking.

Prime it three times ... Choke for one pull... pull again don't touch the throttle , let it idle and warm up.
Bass Pro Shop #1
Old 12-30-2013, 10:57 PM

20+ years on my jiffy 31 legend , the old yellow one. Once in a while it's hard to start cold . But still it starts and drills
Old 01-03-2014, 12:38 PM

Default Ice Augers

I bought a Jiffy Pro 4 Propane and it works great! One pull and it starts every time. Its only one year old , but i'm very happy with it.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:44 PM

I got a model 30 Jiffy with a tecumseh engine that was handed down to me from my Grandpa. Thing is 20+ years old and doesn't miss a beat. I love it
Old 01-03-2014, 01:44 PM

Had my Icegator for a few years now and other than sharpening the blades and getting another battery pack, never had to deal with major issues. Can get about 20-30 holes on a charge depending on the ice and slush. I've drilled three holes in the time it takes others to get their auger started up.

Not the greatest if you are the type to drill 100 holes a day or if you must have 10" holes.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:02 PM

CanadianBadass had problems with his Eskimo Z71.

Thought I would post it for him.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:50 PM

I got one of the new 10 inch Jiffy 3500 series a few years back and ive had nothing but issues with it. It always cuts the hole, but very very slow. Seems it doesnt have enough torque for thick northern alberta ice.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:03 PM

I posted this in another thread but its relevant here. I would also like to add that Eskimo will only ship with UPS, effectively doubling the cost and waiting time for the parts I need.

I guess I'm one of the unlucky Z51 owners out there. Mine rarely starts on the first pull and I have to hold the throttle down a little when pulling to get it to start. Sometimes it will flood before it starts. I also find the oil in the gearbox is very temperature sensitive,any colder than -20*C and I have to hold the throttle on full and allow it to slowly turn for a few revolutions before the blades will turn at full speed. Even keeping it inside proves to be of little value as the gearbox gets cold before I reach the lake.
I just bought this auger last year.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-03-2014, 07:34 PM

I've only had my Jiffy model 30 10" so can't compare. It was a Crappy Tire special & wouldn't run straight out of the box, took it to Alberta Forest & Garden (that's a whole other bad story lol) for warranty & turns out the carb diaphragm was installed upside down at the factory! Ran good for 2 months then crapped out again. Took it back to Alberta Forest & Garden who didn't turn a wrench on it for nearly 2 months so I went in there, screamed at them, took my auger home & found a new mechanic to get it running again. Turns out the intake reeds got bent inside due to accidentally sucking in some water while drilling right down to the motor to get through the ice on Gull several seasons ago; that's some thick ice !!! Ran good rest of that season then crapped out again next fall.

Ordered a carb kit for it as well as repair & tuning manuals from Tecumseh then proceeded to learn on my own how to rebuild then tune it myself. Had to rebuild it twice & spent a whole winter fiddling & tuning it until I got it perfect, now it runs like a race car!

Been thinking about getting a Strikemaster Strikelite just for the weight savings & 4 stroke motor but can't bear to part with my Model 30 after putting so much time, money, & effort into it lol,
Old 01-03-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
CanadianBadass had problems with his Eskimo Z71.

Thought I would post it for him.
I had no complains, other than making the mix leaner after a call to support.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:42 PM

I love my Z71 , It drills a 10" hole faster then any 8" auger out there,

Recently I have had the issue I posted, about the Knot at the Handle came undone, and the rope sucked into the recoil, I called eskimo, And they are sending me the new recoil no questions asked,

All I really have to say about others is,

If you ran an older model Jiffy, You will be disappointed with the new ones,

I Have heard good things about the ION Auger, However, I personally prefer a gas auger over electric, I have not heard of many issues.

But I have heard lots of good about Eskimo, And that's why I Invested into the Z71 , Lots of good reviews, Except a tad heavy, It rips thru 2.5' of ice in seconds, with no struggle ! and the viper recoil is the easiest pull start ever lol

Hope that helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
I had no complains, other than making the mix leaner after a call to support.
I also found this helped a ton, 50:1 is the ratio, But making it a bit leaner, it has had no issues with bogging or anything !

And the issue I had with mine, wasn't really anything mechanical failing, just simply The knot came undone, and besides that its been flawless !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 PM

My Z 71 shreds 10" holes through 12"-15" of ice in seconds - they are amazing.

They are heavy to lug around - but I am going for that "chiseled definition" in my "guns" and going to be wearing a sleeveless shirt by the time ice season is over.

The only little finicky thing is the cord does not always easily retract back all the way and it seems that there is always a few inches left ......... not a big deal ........ but a annoyance.

A couple primes, throw the choke and usually 1 maybe 2 pulls and she fires up - even in minus 20 after sitting out in the wind all day or in the cold garage for a few weeks.

My guess is they have a few little issues with their retractor spring thing ....... but no big deal - easy to fix or replace.