Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 PM

Default Muzzle brake

L&G,

Need some suggestions on where to go to get a muzzle brake installed on my .375 Rem 700.

rik
Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 PM

call jim at pipestone hes got a good gun smith cheers
Old 01-07-2011, 12:00 AM

Corlanes ........... in Dawson Creek. Awesome gunsmiths and all round good guys.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 AM

RPS is Spruce Grove (precision shooter on this board) does it as well.

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 AM

Bob at Custom Gunworx in Rocky Mnt House. PM me for his phone# he does exellent work and builds his own muzzle brakes.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw'd View Post
Corlanes ........... in Dawson Creek. Awesome gunsmiths and all round good guys.
Yup, what he said!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Be sure to purchase a good pair of earmuffs to wear while hunting,because even one shot with a braked rifle without hearing protection,can cause permanent damage to your hearing.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Be sure to purchase a good pair of earmuffs to wear while hunting,because even one shot with a braked rifle without hearing protection,can cause permanent damage to your hearing.
Good advice for shooting any rifle, brake or not. The guys at Corlane's have a brake now that actually directs the noise away from the shooter......pretty cool idea. Far less decibles to the shooter's ears than a conventional brake. Something to consider.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Good advice for shooting any rifle, brake or not.
Certainly the ideal situation is to wear hearing protection,for every single shot that you take.However,where I work,we must take hearing tests every two years,and after 30 years of working there,and over 35 years of hunting without hearing protection,my hearing is still normal.On the other hand,a former club member suffered permanent damage to his hearing after firing one shot from a braked 300winmag.Until that one shot,the hearing tests had shown his hearing to be normal as well.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 AM

Rod at Henrickson Gunsmithing in Edmonton, builds, installs and sells his own brakes. He's at 780.455.3006 if he is convenient to you.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Yup, what he said!
x2 for Colanes / Rocky Mountain Rifles in Dawson Creek. Give them a call and talk to either Rod, Tim or Scott.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:08 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Certainly the ideal situation is to wear hearing protection,for every single shot that you take.However,where I work,we must take hearing tests every two years,and after 30 years of working there,and over 35 years of hunting without hearing protection,my hearing is still normal.On the other hand,a former club member suffered permanent damage to his hearing after firing one shot from a braked 300winmag.Until that one shot,the hearing tests had shown his hearing to be normal as well.
My hearing is definitely no where close to what it was 30 years ago and I've never fired a rifle with a brake without hearing protection. I suspect you are the exception to the rule for someone that has fired a lot of rifles/shotguns under field conditions without hearing protection. Prolonged exposure to loud noises will cause hearing loss in the average person. No doubt brakes are louder and for those shooting them, it's really worth looking at the ones that funnel noise away from the shooter.

Last edited by sheephunter; 01-07-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
My hearing is definitely no where close to what it was 30 years ago and I've never fired a rifle with a brake without hearing protection. I suspect you are the exception to the rule for someone that has fired a lot of rifles/shotguns under field conditions without hearing protection. Prolonged exposure to loud noises will cause hearing loss in the average person. No doubt brakes are louder and for those shooting them, it's really worth looking at the ones that funnel noise away from the shooter.
I never posted that my hearing is as sharp as it was 30 years ago,since hearing normally degrades somewhat with age,even if you aren't exposed to loud noises.My hearing tests still show my hearing to be what is considered normal,even if it may not as sharp as it once was.On the other hand,the person that I referred to had normal hearing up until that one shot that caused his ears to ring for hours.Now,even considering his age,his hearing is well below normal.

As for brakes,I choose to avoid them altogether,since an increase of even a few decibels can be very significant,as far as hearing loss is concerned.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 01-07-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:37 AM

Default Muzzle brake info.

Thank you for all the information, this is much appreciated.

rik