Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-12-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaatlatl View Post
If there was, who would decide if YOU had enough skill to hunt. Is the "skill" the ability to shoot accurately, or stalking your quarry? How about bloodtrailing? Or the proper safari attire. Ridiculous to even start that idea! Do YOU have the "skill"? Of course! You hearvest animals right? So do we. We have a skill with a different tool than you. Can I throw my spear as far as you shoot with a compound? Accuratelly? Maybe so, but what's the determining factor in skill? The ability to harvest an animal quickly, efficiently, and with a close clean shot placement. That's it! We do it, you do it, the skill is there with different tools. Brioadhead sharpening is an important skill to have, but why learn to sharpen a head when it comes presharpened? Because when you miss your target, it isn't sharp any more!!Skill comes from practise! Practise makes perfect! We practise every chance we get. I shoot 30 arrows per round with my longbow, and shoot 4 days a week. Practise makes perfect. I throw darts 6 at a round, 4 days a week. Practise makes perfect! I make the point that " Practise makes perfect"! An ethical hunter practises every chance he gets, knows his limitations, and knows his tool.
"Perfect practice" makes "perfect".

I need to get an Atalal. It is the next logical slip on the evolutionary ladder after going from a Rifle to a compound, to a Recurve, to a longbow to a selfbow and a Percussion cap sidelock & Flintlock.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
In several posts I read that it is the skill of the hunter not the weapon used
so that leads to the question should there be a hunter skill test before anyone gets a permit to hunt. I REALY like that idea.
Honest question....

Do you hunt?

If yes, for how many years?

How did you learn?

Are you satisfied that you are competent to be allowed a hunting licence?

Perhaps your licence should be revoked until your competency is validated by others?

And BTW, did you know that new hunters are currently required to pass a test before receiving a hunting licence? .....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
"Perfect practice" makes "perfect".

I need to get an Atalal. It is the next logical slip on the evolutionary ladder after going from a Rifle to a compound, to a Recurve, to a longbow to a selfbow and a Percussion cap sidelock & Flintlock.
You and me both.
From rifle to compound to longbow and onto atlatl next.
It must be the inner caveman coming through haha.
I've already made arrangements to try an atlatl. Pretty excited.
And who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks
Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
If there was, who would decide if YOU had enough skill to hunt. Is the "skill" the ability to shoot accurately, or stalking your quarry? How about bloodtrailing? Or the proper safari attire. Ridiculous to even start that idea! Do YOU have the "skill"? Of course! You hearvest animals right? So do we. We have a skill with a different tool than you. Can I throw my spear as far as you shoot with a compound? Accuratelly? Maybe so, but what's the determining factor in skill? The ability to harvest an animal quickly, efficiently, and with a close clean shot placement. That's it! We do it, you do it, the skill is there with different tools. Brioadhead sharpening is an important skill to have, but why learn to sharpen a head when it comes presharpened? Because when you miss your target, it isn't sharp any more!!Skill comes from practise! Practise makes perfect! We practise every chance we get. I shoot 30 arrows per round with my longbow, and shoot 4 days a week. Practise makes perfect. I throw darts 6 at a round, 4 days a week. Practise makes perfect! I make the point that " Practise makes perfect"! An ethical hunter practises every chance he gets, knows his limitations, and knows his tool.
Have you tried the atlatl in the woods where ones range of body motion is constrained? And can you film it again but with the target and yourself in the shot? does it drop flat or drop at the tip? it's very cool. Hunting in the open and that close would be super adrenalin rush.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 AM

Hunting in the woods is fairly easy. The cast of the dart is relatively flat, but the arc of the arm and Atlatl is where you have to watch. Pulling the Atlatl straight over your shoulder and dropping your elbow allows the Atlatl to stay low, minimized the height of the curve, and casts the dart really flat. I will have some more vids soon. We'll show how to throw from a tree stand, kneeling, and in brush. Thanks for the questions.
AA
Old 03-14-2014, 06:29 AM

aa, I met your bro the other day...
I would imagine that the woods offer increased shot oppurtunities from the extra cover but increase the level of difficulty with said cover,
very cool. and excellent thread.
im bloiwn away that this organization wants to ban them!!cant get much more primitive than this!
there is a short segment about the effectiveness of the atlatl on the BBC's documentary 'walking with beasts' about evolution of mammels vs dinosaurs. It is filmed in saskachewan where the atl atl is used. I will bring it when we hook up.
roger

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-15-2014, 12:58 AM

Sounds great, friend! Looking forward to meeting you. Thanks for the positive. We should get together and throw a few. Are you attending the ATBA meeting in Calgary next Saturday? We'll be there. Till next time, keep your sticks pointy.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 AM

The ABA GM is Saturday in Lethbridge at 9:45 am. All you ABA members need to be there in support of withdrawing the Atlatl/Spear ban. If you can't make it, write a letter to the Executive board voicing your opinion. We'll be there with a rather large group ( for a group of spear chukers) and will be vocal. I've met numerous ABA members and affiliates who are having nothing to do with the ABA because of the ban. However, this does not help the issue to drop the proposal, it only strengthens it because they will not speak up! Please let your voice be heard!!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
The ABA GM is Saturday in Lethbridge at 9:45 am. All you ABA members need to be there in support of withdrawing the Atlatl/Spear ban. If you can't make it, write a letter to the Executive board voicing your opinion. We'll be there with a rather large group ( for a group of spear chukers) and will be vocal. I've met numerous ABA members and affiliates who are having nothing to do with the ABA because of the ban. However, this does not help the issue to drop the proposal, it only strengthens it because they will not speak up! Please let your voice be heard!!
It cannot be withdrawn - ESRD was going to define a legal weapon anyway. Just make sure you have know the facts before the meeting. To date we've had less than 6 people (I guess that's about the same number of stick throwing hunters in Alberta ) write the executive and ask for the real story / reasoning / history behind it. Don't assume what you read in AO (in this case) is completely accurate.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
It cannot be withdrawn - ESRD was going to define a legal weapon anyway. Just make sure you have know the facts before the meeting. To date we've had less than 6 people (I guess that's about the same number of stick throwing hunters in Alberta ) write the executive and ask for the real story / reasoning / history behind it. Don't assume what you read in AO (in this case) is completely accurate.
What is your background to say we have had less than six people. No fights wanted, I'm just on the organization, context is easily lost on a computer...this is a very important topic!

Thanks

The lack of feathers must confuse some of them
Old 03-28-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
It cannot be withdrawn - ESRD was going to define a legal weapon anyway. Just make sure you have know the facts before the meeting.

To date we've had less than 6 people (I guess that's about the same number of stick throwing hunters in Alberta ) write the executive and ask for the real story / reasoning / history behind it.

Don't assume what you read in AO (in this case) is completely accurate.

Of course the ABA can withdraw their resolution, especially a resolution presented to AGMAG by the ABA executive without first consulting the membership and having a vote. There are rules for how resolutions are to be adopted, right?

That F&W has opened a discussion on redefining legal weapons has no bearing on the ABA's resolution's existence. Well, that may not be correct. Since F&W is opening up a review of legal weapons, this discussion makes the ABA's resolution moot. Instead of wasting valuable time, the ABA should withdraw it's resolution for being redundant.

So the ABA estimates that there are six spear chuckers. And these six hunters give the ABA executive so much concern that they want the weapon banned in case some anti-hunter complains? This truly shows the ABA executive colors.

You should reread this thread and the Five reasons to BAN Spears and Atlatls thread. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...reasons+atlatl
There appears to be a lot more support to keep spears ad atlatls legal than just a half dozen people.

Let's also note that Not one of the other AGMAG groups supports this ABA resolution. That speaks volumes.

The ABA executive are standing alone, well, with only F&W willing to dance. Hmmm, I wonder how this match was made?

Likewise, it would be folly to assume that the ABA letter explaining the issue was completely accurate. Do your spies tell no lies? Do you know what we know? Does the ABA executive really want to play this game?

It would be wiser to simply admit a mistake, make amends and move on to important wildlife and PRO-Hunting issues.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-28-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Well I must be 1 of the 6 people. This is the reply I got back.

this issue popped up a couple of years ago when I had 2 members contact me about the use of spears/atlatls in Alberta, what they had seen on YouTube and one had a friend who had used a spear on a bear. I chked with the head of enforcement in Alberta Pat Dunford and he said there were no laws on the books not allowing them, etc. They had a few negative comments made to them but nothing really more than that. I brought the issue up at an ABA exec mtg June 18 2012 after I raised the question at the AGAMG (Alberta Game Management Advisory Group) mtg in May 2012. The below is from the minutes of our ABA exec mtg that June.

AGMAG mtg (May)
Hunting with spears
Discussion as to issue brought up at AGMAG. Possible public reaction if it became public. How we as hunting groups can defend the practice - very hard. SRD Enforcement will bring issue back to Dec AGMAG with proposal to prohibit hunting with spears. Was no opposition from groups at AGMAG.

ESRD came back to the May 29 2013 AGMAG meeting and explained how there are no rules concerning using atlatls/spears as well as some other weapons out there (high power air rifles, blow guns, even people wanting to run down and kill game with their bare hands). The stakeholder members and ESRD personel at the meeting discussed the issue, how hard if not impossible it would be to defend the use of these weapons based on all the other criteria we use to defend what we use now as hunters, how negative a public response (from hunters and non-hunters both) would likely be when something hit social media (based on past experiences/responses etc on similar issues – examples are coyote hunting with hounds (now illegal after a houndsman did a taped interview and hunt with CTV on the issue) and the Vancouver Canucks player David Booth who legally killed a black bear with his bow in Alberta over bait two years ago). Many were surprised that they could be used for hunting in Alberta. From that I/we drafted up a change proposal on behalf of the AGMAG stakeholders to have it officially put on the agenda, into the processes for discussion etc.

From May 29 2013 AGMAG Minutes:

• ABA – Make use of spears and atlatls illegal for hunting big game in AB.
o Full support from AGMAG to define legal big game hunting equipment.

The next AGMAG Meeting is January 14 2014 and we will know more then what the stakeholders of AGMAG think on the issue. AGMAG stakeholders:
Environment and Sustainable Resource Development, Alberta Tourism, Parks, and Recreation, Alberta Chapter of the Wildlife Society
Alberta Fish and Game Association, Wild Sheep Foundation of Alberta, Hunting For Tomorrow, Safari Club International
AB Association of Municipal Districts and Counties, Alberta Bowhunters Association, Wild Elk Federation , Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Alberta Beef Producers, Alberta Professional Outfitters Society.

At the Hunting For Tomorrow stakeholders meeting December 17 2013 the issue was discussed and all members present were in favor of ESRD looking to define what weapons should be legal to hunt big game. I haven’t got copies of those meeting minutes yet. The stakeholders present at this meeting were Alberta Fish & Game Association, Hunting For Tomorrow, Alberta Bowhunters Association, Alberta Professional Outfitters Society, Alberta Hunter Education Instructors Association. Representatives from ESRD were also there to provide information on issues as questions from the stakeholders came up. Several reps were shocked/surprised to find out there were no rules governing this type of stuff.

At the ABA AGM March 29 2014 in Lethbridge we will bring this up for discussion and give everyone the background info etc and see what the members think. There will be a report in the next newsletter (should be out in a month or so) outlining this and a couple of other things we are working on (archery season draw proposal, Cooperative Game Mgt survey, the Mule Deer management Review process and our ABA questionnaire for feedback on the state of our mule deer).

I have personally seen the spear and atlatl videos on YouTube. Pretty distasteful and not what we need to be shown portraying how we are as hunters etc. I know of a fellow who used a spear on a bear – bit of a circus it ended up. My son in law has an atlatl (present from son David from ATBA Jamboree in Hinton) and I have used it. I have been to 2 ATBA Jamborees and seen lots of people using the atlatl – even watched the guy who makes/sells them demonstrating how they work etc. Are a fun thing but in this day and age not something I would promote/endorse as a hunting tool.
In this day and age we are under a microscope in what we do as hunters and things are around the world in a blink of an eye. We can effectively argue effective range, practice makes perfect, quick/humane kills, etc but some things are hard to defend. None of us stakeholders could apply our arguments to the use of these weapons. Every legal weapon out there has wounded something at one time but we can defend their use in that these incidents are few in nature (when using archery equipment the fatalities from a “wound” is very small) and not the norm.

Hope that brings you up to speed on this. Any other questions just let me know.

brent
Old 03-28-2014, 11:39 AM

Based on that response it wouldn't surprise me to see him go after longbows next.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:31 PM

Thanks Brent for trying out an Atatl, and being present there at the ATBA jamboree. I appreciate the fact you tried one. Before you try and ban a weapon, you need to understand the effectiveness of it. The use of an Atlatl is defensible, based on American history, Archeology, and the like. The few of us who use them to hunt have every right to be considered in any discussion where the use of this weapon may lead to it's bsnnishment. I have been constructing and selling for 5 yrs now. Seems like a conflict of interest on my part to be fighting to keep them legal. The literature on Atlatls and darts shows expressively that they are humane and effective hunting tools. I'm looking forward to the GM tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the reply walkingbuffalo! Good words!
Old 03-28-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Well I must be 1 of the 6 people. This is the reply I got back.

this issue popped up a couple of years ago when I had 2 members contact me about the use of spears/atlatls in Alberta, what they had seen on YouTube and one had a friend who had used a spear on a bear. I chked with the head of enforcement in Alberta Pat Dunford and he said there were no laws on the books not allowing them, etc. They had a few negative comments made to them but nothing really more than that. I brought the issue up at an ABA exec mtg June 18 2012 after I raised the question at the AGAMG (Alberta Game Management Advisory Group) mtg in May 2012. The below is from the minutes of our ABA exec mtg that June.

AGMAG mtg (May)
Hunting with spears
Discussion as to issue brought up at AGMAG. Possible public reaction if it became public. How we as hunting groups can defend the practice - very hard. SRD Enforcement will bring issue back to Dec AGMAG with proposal to prohibit hunting with spears. Was no opposition from groups at AGMAG.

ESRD came back to the May 29 2013 AGMAG meeting and explained how there are no rules concerning using atlatls/spears as well as some other weapons out there (high power air rifles, blow guns, even people wanting to run down and kill game with their bare hands). The stakeholder members and ESRD personel at the meeting discussed the issue, how hard if not impossible it would be to defend the use of these weapons based on all the other criteria we use to defend what we use now as hunters, how negative a public response (from hunters and non-hunters both) would likely be when something hit social media (based on past experiences/responses etc on similar issues – examples are coyote hunting with hounds (now illegal after a houndsman did a taped interview and hunt with CTV on the issue) and the Vancouver Canucks player David Booth who legally killed a black bear with his bow in Alberta over bait two years ago). Many were surprised that they could be used for hunting in Alberta. From that I/we drafted up a change proposal on behalf of the AGMAG stakeholders to have it officially put on the agenda, into the processes for discussion etc.

From May 29 2013 AGMAG Minutes:

• ABA – Make use of spears and atlatls illegal for hunting big game in AB.
o Full support from AGMAG to define legal big game hunting equipment.

The next AGMAG Meeting is January 14 2014 and we will know more then what the stakeholders of AGMAG think on the issue. AGMAG stakeholders:
Environment and Sustainable Resource Development, Alberta Tourism, Parks, and Recreation, Alberta Chapter of the Wildlife Society
Alberta Fish and Game Association, Wild Sheep Foundation of Alberta, Hunting For Tomorrow, Safari Club International
AB Association of Municipal Districts and Counties, Alberta Bowhunters Association, Wild Elk Federation , Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Alberta Beef Producers, Alberta Professional Outfitters Society.

At the Hunting For Tomorrow stakeholders meeting December 17 2013 the issue was discussed and all members present were in favor of ESRD looking to define what weapons should be legal to hunt big game. I haven’t got copies of those meeting minutes yet. The stakeholders present at this meeting were Alberta Fish & Game Association, Hunting For Tomorrow, Alberta Bowhunters Association, Alberta Professional Outfitters Society, Alberta Hunter Education Instructors Association. Representatives from ESRD were also there to provide information on issues as questions from the stakeholders came up. Several reps were shocked/surprised to find out there were no rules governing this type of stuff.

At the ABA AGM March 29 2014 in Lethbridge we will bring this up for discussion and give everyone the background info etc and see what the members think. There will be a report in the next newsletter (should be out in a month or so) outlining this and a couple of other things we are working on (archery season draw proposal, Cooperative Game Mgt survey, the Mule Deer management Review process and our ABA questionnaire for feedback on the state of our mule deer).

I have personally seen the spear and atlatl videos on YouTube. Pretty distasteful and not what we need to be shown portraying how we are as hunters etc. I know of a fellow who used a spear on a bear – bit of a circus it ended up. My son in law has an atlatl (present from son David from ATBA Jamboree in Hinton) and I have used it. I have been to 2 ATBA Jamborees and seen lots of people using the atlatl – even watched the guy who makes/sells them demonstrating how they work etc. Are a fun thing but in this day and age not something I would promote/endorse as a hunting tool.
In this day and age we are under a microscope in what we do as hunters and things are around the world in a blink of an eye. We can effectively argue effective range, practice makes perfect, quick/humane kills, etc but some things are hard to defend. None of us stakeholders could apply our arguments to the use of these weapons. Every legal weapon out there has wounded something at one time but we can defend their use in that these incidents are few in nature (when using archery equipment the fatalities from a “wound” is very small) and not the norm.

Hope that brings you up to speed on this. Any other questions just let me know.

brent
Thanks Brent for your thoughts on this , and other types of weapons. I'm glad a YouTube video changed and inspired you, as it does with both my children. I hope you. And the aba are most proud when we can't enjoy bow hunting anymore as a few seasons from now a video of a bad shot will be posted and a self righteous lobby group will push their ideas forward as much as the aba has.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:31 PM

From what I've been able to gather, the issue is not that people are complaining about spear and atlatl hunting, but rather what we would say if they did. The problem is that most people who are against hunting really don't care about the weapon used, they are just anti-hunting. Trying to appease them on something that is so far a non-issue, and thereby restricting ourselves in the process makes no sense to me. We will have plenty of battles to fight in the years to come with anti-hunters, why are we picking fights within our own ranks now?

How many people hunt with spears or atlatl's? Not many, I'm fairly sure. I guess it seemed like an easy target and would somehow make hunters be seen in a better light by the anti's? There is nothing you can do,short of banning all forms of hunting, that will appease anti-hunters. Alienating our own is certainly not going to help matters at all.

I'm planning to make an atlatl this year. I also have a samburu spear I have been practicing with and hope to use soon. I find it quite disappointing that the very people I would count on to stand up for our sport are the ones I now have to worry about taking that opportunity away. All because someone doesn't know how they would respond, should they ever be asked a question about it. How about this "Hunting with spears and atlatl's has a long and successful history, and those who practice it are a dedicated and responsible group of people. We see no reason to restrict the right of hunters in Alberta to use these tools in a responsible and effective manner".
Old 03-28-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
From what I've been able to gather, the issue is not that people are complaining about spear and atlatl hunting, but rather what we would say if they did. The problem is that most people who are against hunting really don't care about the weapon used, they are just anti-hunting. Trying to appease them on something that is so far a non-issue, and thereby restricting ourselves in the process makes no sense to me. We will have plenty of battles to fight in the years to come with anti-hunters, why are we picking fights within our own ranks now?

How many people hunt with spears or atlatl's? Not many, I'm fairly sure. I guess it seemed like an easy target and would somehow make hunters be seen in a better light by the anti's? There is nothing you can do,short of banning all forms of hunting, that will appease anti-hunters. Alienating our own is certainly not going to help matters at all.

I'm planning to make an atlatl this year. I also have a samburu spear I have been practicing with and hope to use soon. I find it quite disappointing that the very people I would count on to stand up for our sport are the ones I now have to worry about taking that opportunity away. All because someone doesn't know how they would respond, should they ever be asked a question about it. How about this "Hunting with spears and atlatl's has a long and successful history, and those who practice it are a dedicated and responsible group of people. We see no reason to restrict the right of hunters in Alberta to use these tools in a responsible and effective manner".
It seems the ABA mandate is to throw others under the bus to save ourselves!

Old 03-29-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post

This is an excellent explanation of the ABA executive's reasoning for requesting this weapon ban.

There appears to also be an undisclosed arrangement between the ABA exec and F&W. Are there favours at play here?

Hopefully todays AGM will put this part of the debate to rest. we will know in a few hours. However, regardless of whether or not the ABA resolution is withdrawn, the issue will continue with the F&W's intention to redefine legal weapons. They want to make it illegal to use spears/atlatls for big game, and slingshots for small and upland game, because an anti-hunter might complain....

Old 03-30-2014, 07:41 AM

Default history

Cortez and his band of killers /looters didn't like being at the receiving end of a atlatli .Harold

Last edited by Pioneer2; 03-30-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:23 AM

Default Atlatl hunting

You can count me in that number of six, because Brent sent the email to me also.

There's NO justification to push one group of hunters down into the dirt to further the goals of another. I've supported many of the ABA resolutions in the past because they made sense and seemed fairly thought out. My support is in danger of being withdrawn in a big way if this nonsense continues.

Brent needs to withdraw this poorly thought resolution.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:35 AM

Sooooo? Did anyone go to the ABA AGM? What happened?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Sooooo? Did anyone go to the ABA AGM? What happened?
X2, any reports?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 PM

Starting to wonder if things went badly.... the silence is deafening.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 PM

The ABA will be working with albertaatlatl to establish minimum standards on the use of spears and atlatls for hunting. This info will be presented FOR DISCUSSION at the next AGMAG. As far as I know, no resolution proposing any regulations will be set forward by the ABA.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:39 PM

Default Hunting Rant

The debate centers around some who want to hunt any way they chose, and others seen to want to be sure of ethical, clean kills with less chance of wounding. This leads to choice of weapons and skill of the hunter. I think there are much better weapons than a spear. As for skill and testing of that skill to be permitted to hunt, seams to be becoming a necessary part of hunting. In a earlier post I suggested testing and someone questioned how long I have hunted and if I was skilled enough to qualify for a hunting permit. I shot my first deer in 1963 and many, many more since then along with several moose, a few elk, bears and several years on a trapline. I have shot deer and moose in their bed, they had no clue I was there.
In all those years of bush experience, I have seen enough to want the cleanest, most humane kills, possible. If useing a spear is your thing, that is fine, use non living targets. The animals are not yours, they belong to all of us. Useing a spear on animals will bring the anti hunting public down on all hunting. Killing in slaughter houses is very regulated, because the public demands it. There is enough of the public against hunting without having their imagination running bloody with spear hunting similar to what they are trying to do with the baby seal clubbing.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
The ABA will be working with albertaatlatl to establish minimum standards on the use of spears and atlatls for hunting. This info will be presented FOR DISCUSSION at the next AGMAG. As far as I know, no resolution proposing any regulations will be set forward by the ABA.

Is the ABA officially withdrawing their AGMAG Advanced Regulation Change Proposal for 2015 (May 2013 AGMAG meeting)
"• ABA - Make use of spears and atlatls illegal for hunting big game in AB." ?

Old 03-31-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
The debate centers around some who want to hunt any way they chose, and others seen to want to be sure of ethical, clean kills with less chance of wounding. This leads to choice of weapons and skill of the hunter. I think there are much better weapons than a spear. As for skill and testing of that skill to be permitted to hunt, seams to be becoming a necessary part of hunting. In a earlier post I suggested testing and someone questioned how long I have hunted and if I was skilled enough to qualify for a hunting permit. I shot my first deer in 1963 and many, many more since then along with several moose, a few elk, bears and several years on a trapline. I have shot deer and moose in their bed, they had no clue I was there.
In all those years of bush experience, I have seen enough to want the cleanest, most humane kills, possible. If useing a spear is your thing, that is fine, use non living targets. The animals are not yours, they belong to all of us. Useing a spear on animals will bring the anti hunting public down on all hunting. Killing in slaughter houses is very regulated, because the public demands it. There is enough of the public against hunting without having their imagination running bloody with spear hunting similar to what they are trying to do with the baby seal clubbing.

This rant sounds exactly like the rhetoric used against archery equipment back in the 1930's in the USA.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Just to clarify, will ABA be working with AAA to establish this info or was an offer made by ABA To take AAA information forward to the next AGMAG meeting for discussion.

JB could you elaborate on the meeting and your impressions of the proceedings regarding this issue.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:27 PM

In addition to my previous question to the ABA.

Is the ABA officially withdrawing their AGMAG Advanced Regulation Change Proposal for 2015 (May 2013 AGMAG meeting)
"• ABA - Make use of spears and atlatls illegal for hunting big game in AB." ?

Is the ABA now taking a position to NOT OPPOSE the use of spears and atlatls for hunting big game?