Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-22-2014, 05:10 PM

Default Letter to the ministers to reduce draw wait times.

I'm going to send a letter to the Minister of SRD and Finance in regards to wait times for draws. I have the support of several like minded individuals and will be getting their signatures on the letter. If anyone has a suggestion on any additions let me know. Here are the points I will be making or requesting a change to.

1. Increase draw application fees with a suggestion of $10. This will insure those that feel the need to apply for themselves, their dog, their wife, and their aunt Gertrude just because they can to cover all bases and see what they can draw for will at least think about it first. And maybe they will decide what species they really want to hunt. It will also encourage a bit of research into the tag being applied for.

2. Increase tag fees for special licence "trophy" animals with a suggestion to start at $150. This will also ensure a second thought on what they want to hunt as well. It will also have me personally staggering draws to stay married and solvent. This in and of itself will decrease wait times. Despite the opinion of the 999 detractors. Again, this will also encourage a bit of research into the tag being applied for.

3. Either a mandatory purchase of the tag successfully drawn for within a certain time frame or a mandatory requirement to leave a CC # at the time of application and the automatic purchase upon successful application.

4. The mandatory reporting of harvest or non harvest and use of your tag. You will have to report within 30 days of the close of your season or will automatically forfeit your ability to apply for any draw or purchase of any tag the following year. If you forget, to bad, and you likely won't do it twice.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2014, 05:15 PM

I would add to that the need to purchase a wildlife certificate before being eligible to enter draws.

What draws do you deem "trophy"? I would reduce that one to $50 myself, with the stipulation the money goes directly to enforcement.

Redefine what is required to be a "resident"

LC
Old 07-22-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I would add to that the need to purchase a wildlife certificate before being eligible to enter draws.

What draws do you deem "trophy"? I would reduce that one to $50 myself, with the stipulation the money goes directly to enforcement.

Redefine what is required to be a "resident"

LC
Antlered (or horned) special licences. $50 is nowhere near enough. $100 starts to get closer but is still not close IMO. It has to be more than taking the family to McDonalds by a significant margin.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2014, 05:27 PM

I don't agree with a application fee that high, we shouldn't be pricing folks out of an opportunity.

BUT things should tighten up as far as eligibility is concerned.

LC
Old 07-22-2014, 05:28 PM

As an aside, this would be completely unnecessary if people had some semblance of self control.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2014, 05:30 PM

I don't mind #3 or #4. If you go ahead with number #2 keep in mind that for a species like elk most people need around a 12 priority to get drawn for antlered, people have something like $50 into draw fees applied to get a 12 priority. That plus a wildlife certificate and then a $150 tag means I'm into that animal for almost $250 and I haven't even cut and wrapped it yet. Lots of people still hunt for the cheap meat because pork, chicken and beef are climbing rapidly, you would alienate the people who can't afford that hefty price tag on getting an elk or whatever. I'm sure lots of people will complain about #1 so I'll leave that for someone else.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I don't agree with a application fee that high, we shouldn't be pricing folks out of an opportunity.

LC
How much do people spend on booze, cigarettes, or take out in a year? I would suggest people are pricing themselves out of opportunity.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRange View Post
I don't mind #3 or #4. If you go ahead with number #2 keep in mind that for a species like elk most people need around a 12 priority to get drawn for antlered, people have something like $50 into draw fees applied to get a 12 priority. That plus a wildlife certificate and then a $150 tag means I'm into that animal for almost $250 and I haven't even cut and wrapped it yet. Lots of people still hunt for the cheap meat because pork, chicken and beef are climbing rapidly, you would alienate the people who can't afford that hefty price tag on getting an elk or whatever. I'm sure lots of people will complain about #1 so I'll leave that for someone else.
Apply for cow elk.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2014, 05:35 PM

I'm against this government getting any more of my money than they already do. I believe the amount of draw tags available take into account the fact that a percentage of tags are not going to be purchased.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:37 PM

My odds are already on the rise.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loper View Post
I'm against this government getting any more of my money than they already do. I believe the amount of draw tags available take into account the fact that a percentage of tags are not going to be purchased.
Are you going to quit buying fuel, alcohol, and cigarettes?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Apply for cow elk.
I deserve an equal right to shoot a trophy as anyone else, it should never come down to how much you have in your bank account. Look at all the hunting magazines in the states and look at all the articles and editorials about the high cost of draws/tags, they are always complaining that it's cutting out the average citizens from being able to afford to hunt. That is the direction #1 and 2 would take things and it would increase poaching in this province as well.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:39 PM

Know the difference between you and god chuck? God dont think hes you this is retarded boo whoo gotta wait im a cry till the government pleases my every demand
Old 07-22-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
How much do people spend on booze, cigarettes, or take out in a year? I would suggest people are pricing themselves out of opportunity.
Some do yes....I don't drink or smoke and I can afford tags, but many who are just as "deserved or entitled" to hunt cannot at that cost.

Your bottom line should not decide your opportunity IMHO, lots of the folks who work in Alberta only 6-8 months a year and live elsewhere can easily afford to put in for everything and put in their dogs and grandmas ...whereas some folks who were born and raised here could not.

Do you want hunting to become anymore "elitist" than it already has?

LC
Old 07-22-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Apply for cow elk.
Which in the south is still a 5-6 yr wait

Number 4 is a great idea tho.. They do it in Idaho like that and im sure many other states as well
Old 07-22-2014, 05:43 PM

Should only be able to 999 a draw for one year. Also, there needs to be a gradient system that keeps first time hunters from even applying for draws. A person should have at least a couple years of hunting experience before being given the opportunity for a draw.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Are you going to quit buying fuel, alcohol, and cigarettes?
Nope. Doesn't mean I'm going to write letters to the government asking for them to charge me more. When I draw a tag I buy it. I plan ahead and hunt. I have a limited amount of money to spend on hunting and the last thing I want more of that money to go towards is some MLA's expense claim.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Should only be able to 999 a draw for one year. Also, there needs to be a gradient system that keeps first time hunters from even applying for draws. A person should have at least a couple years of hunting experience before being given the opportunity for a draw.
....really?

LC
Old 07-22-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I deserve an equal right to shoot a trophy as anyone else, it should never come down to how much you have in your bank account. Look at all the hunting magazines in the states and look at all the articles and editorials about the high cost of draws/tags, they are always complaining that it's cutting out the average citizens from being able to afford to hunt. That is the direction #1 and 2 would take things and it would increase poaching in this province as well.
Do you also deserve a membership to the local country club?

If you need help I can suggest ways that you can save $250 in five years. You could start by putting $5 a month in a jar.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
Which in the south is still a 5-6 yr wait

Number 4 is a great idea tho.. They do it in Idaho like that and im sure many other states as well
Horse manure. Every year their are undersubscribed licences down south.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Lots of 3 point or better general zones.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:48 PM

Charging crazy prices to go direct into Goverment coffers.....is only 6 degrees of separation to paid hunting.

LC
Old 07-22-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Some do yes....I don't drink or smoke and I can afford tags, but many who are just as "deserved or entitled" to hunt cannot at that cost.

Your bottom line should not decide your opportunity IMHO, lots of the folks who work in Alberta only 6-8 months a year and live elsewhere can easily afford to put in for everything and put in their dogs and grandmas ...whereas some folks who were born and raised here could not.

Do you want hunting to become anymore "elitist" than it already has?

LC
LC, your and my opinion of "elitist" vary greatly. $250 to go hunting a "sport" animal is hardly "elitist". My truck was built in 1994. Yours?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2014, 05:49 PM

Don't we as sportsmen want our sport to grow. This is what I keep hearing anyways. I for one do. I think by doing your proposed ideas we are limiting growth in our sport. I understand nobody likes long wait times to be drawn for something, Yes a lot of folks in our Provence can afford what you are proposing. There are also a lot that can not. You say go hunt a cow elk, and I say go hunt a general bull. Lets stick together as hunters and try and promote our sport.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I think only allowing one year of 999 would cause people to get drawn for multiple species and then waste a tag or two, and no one wants that. As for your other thought, it's like companies wanting Class 1 drivers with experience, but how do you get that experience? There are few general licenses these days and it would be difficult for new hunters to get that experience.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I'm going to send a letter to the Minister of SRD and Finance in regards to wait times for draws. I have the support of several like minded individuals and will be getting their signatures on the letter. If anyone has a suggestion on any additions let me know. Here are the points I will be making or requesting a change to.

1. Increase draw application fees with a suggestion of $10.

Seems fair

2. Increase tag fees for special licence "trophy" animals with a suggestion to start at $150.

Slippery slope to elitism

3. Either a mandatory purchase of the tag successfully drawn for within a certain time frame or a mandatory requirement to leave a CC # at the time of application and the automatic purchase upon successful application.

Agree

4. The mandatory reporting of harvest or non harvest and use of your tag. You will have to report within 30 days of the close of your season or will automatically forfeit your ability to apply for any draw or purchase of any tag the following year. If you forget, to bad, and you likely won't do it twice.

Agree

Quote:

LC
Agree
Old 07-22-2014, 05:50 PM

I always wondered how a bunch of guys can cry so much and whine. didnt get drawn im emailing mla right now boo hoo. Why does everyone thing the world will change just cause they want it too just for them.

Last edited by lilsundance; 07-22-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlerguy View Post
Don't we as sportsmen want our sport to grow. This is what I keep hearing anyways. I for one do. I think by doing your proposed ideas we are limiting growth in our sport. I understand nobody likes long wait times to be drawn for something, Yes a lot of folks in our Provence can afford what you are proposing. There are also a lot that can not. You say go hunt a cow elk, and I say go hunt a general bull. Lets stick together as hunters and try and promote our sport.
How is waiting for 15 years to draw a bull Moose tag promoting our sport?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Lots of 3 point or better general zones.
Ha, that's a joke! I own quite a bit of land that has bull elk and they won't give me a landowners tag for it and then you guys want to price me out of hunting on my own property, make me drive 4 hours to a general zone when I can shoot one 10 minutes from home. How about you guys quit complaining, pick a number and get in line. OR go and clean out your pockets, hire an outfitter and get your trophy. Simple!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
LC, your and my opinion of "elitist" vary greatly. $250 to go hunting a "sport" animal is hardly "elitist". My truck was built in 1994. Yours?
My truck was built in 2004

....and it has AC

LC