Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
This simply not true at all, it’s the best thing that could have possibly happened for wildlife if you consider the options. The MNA only went o bat for about 2 percent of its claimed population. There very few Métis that can prove they were in the chosen areas prior to 1900, most were still in Manitoba and never arrived after 1900, so to break it down for you all they just created a two tier split in their population. Basically saying the only 2 percent of them are actually being called Alberta Métis. The other 30,000 of them have no representation from Manitoba as the don’t live there and get no representation from Alberta as they were not here before 1900, better hope they don’t realize this in the near future as even the Métis in this numbers will not tolerate the currant leaders in Alberta

So you feel it would only be the actual Metis individual that would help themselves to the hunting I guess? I know a few non-Metis guys married to, by definition, Metis women, because they fall into that "so many generations bloodline, 1/8th or 1/16th or whatever bs it is, and these guys can't wait to get out moose hunting rather than wait 9-12 years to be drawn. Of course the wives will be riding along with but it sure as hell won't be them doing the shooting.

Is there such a thing as Single Metis Women dating websites? I'd like to get some extra hunting in too.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
So because his wife is Métis, the govt issued him a Métis card? Am I reading this correct? My ex wife and daughter are Métis. I’ll have to look into it.

Don't bother with the card moose. Just get one or both of them out for a nice ride in the bush. You do the shooting. You'd have to be awfully unlucky to have a CO actually witness you shooting.

Lots of guys are going to do it.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Don't bother with the card moose. Just get one or both of them out for a nice ride in the bush. You do the shooting. You'd have to be awfully unlucky to have a CO actually witness you shooting.

Lots of guys are going to do it.
If I got my ex out to the bush, I’d be the one doing the shooting for sure...
Old 03-24-2019, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
So you feel it would only be the actual Metis individual that would help themselves to the hunting I guess? I know a few non-Metis guys married to, by definition, Metis women, because they fall into that "so many generations bloodline, 1/8th or 1/16th or whatever bs it is, and these guys can't wait to get out moose hunting rather than wait 9-12 years to be drawn. Of course the wives will be riding along with but it sure as hell won't be them doing the shooting.

Is there such a thing as Single Metis Women dating websites? I'd like to get some extra hunting in too.
I have posted mostly fact and have not said anything about my “feelings” so please do not twist my words to what your version of my feeling are. I have not posted anything pro or con about the issue in anyway, if you feel your friends are telling you the truth and that is how you choose a wife then I would suggest a different set of morals outside of harvesting is being violated but it is not place to judge how you choose love. Btw, the rights holder must prove they can not hunt for your friends version to be true. Otherwise the wife must shoot the animal or your friend is a poacher by definition. A moral person would turn him in to the authorities.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Shoot for the stars.... find a single treaty. Not Métis. First Nations is where it’s at.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talking moose View Post
shoot for the stars.... Find a single treaty. Not métis. First nations is where it’s at.
🙏
Old 03-24-2019, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

As the currant law is, you would be required to move to a Métis settlement and find a disabled wife to hunt with. In Sept when it changes to linage prior to 1900 let’s do the math, there are approx 34,000 Métis, for numbers sake let’s say 17,000 of them are women, 5250 are too young to marry and 5250 are to old to marry even for a self proclaimed user. That leaves 5250 eligible victims for you to look at. So out of the 17,000 only about 1000 will be able prove pre 1900 in the chosen zones. Now find a disabled victim to marry so you can hunt for out of approx 350 women in the province, might be 2 of them but fill your boots and good luck
Old 03-24-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
If I got my ex out to the bush, I’d be the one doing the shooting for sure...

Hahaha. I've got one of those too. Non status tho. Could never talk her into coming along. I don't think she bought the whole..." you want to try your hardest to look like a deer...dear. Stop complaining and duct tape these antlers to your head and pin this white towel on yer butt."
Old 03-24-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I have posted mostly fact and have not said anything about my “feelings” so please do not twist my words to what your version of my feeling are. I have not posted anything pro or con about the issue in anyway, if you feel your friends are telling you the truth and that is how you choose a wife then I would suggest a different set of morals outside of harvesting is being violated but it is not place to judge how you choose love. Btw, the rights holder must prove they can not hunt for your friends version to be true. Otherwise the wife must shoot the animal or your friend is a poacher by definition. A moral person would turn him in to the authorities.

I wasn't making a judgement call on you sir. Just stating how it's going to be. Moral responsibility or not, it would be my word against theirs and we both know how that goes.

No different than what happens on supplementals now, and I'm against those too.

You can't blame guys for taking advantage when it takes as long to build priority points as it does for Some of us. The government wants to create inequality amongst hunters then you have to know people are going to work the system any way they can.

Also for the record I have zero problem with first, second, or whichever nation being allowed to subsistence hunt. Just as long as they've always been subsistence hunters. The vast majority aren't so this will just be a convenient excuse to hunt more and take more animals.

Fyi I said nothing about love. Just looking for a September to end of November companion that enjoys the outdoors.

Last edited by 270person; 03-24-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Shoot for the stars.... find a single treaty. Not Métis. First Nations is where it’s at.

Granddaughters status but she's only 7 and I can't get her used to the 338 for the life of me.
Girly girl.

If I could cram some moose into My Little Pony costumes she might come with me.

Last edited by 270person; 03-24-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
As the currant law is, you would be required to move to a Métis settlement and find a disabled wife to hunt with. In Sept when it changes to linage prior to 1900 let’s do the math, there are approx 34,000 Métis, for numbers sake let’s say 17,000 of them are women, 5250 are too young to marry and 5250 are to old to marry even for a self proclaimed user. That leaves 5250 eligible victims for you to look at. So out of the 17,000 only about 1000 will be able prove pre 1900 in the chosen zones. Now find a disabled victim to marry so you can hunt for out of approx 350 women in the province, might be 2 of them but fill your boots and good luck

I'm not real fussy Jimm and I enjoy a good challenge. Is an electric wheelchair considered a motorized vehicle tho?

As far as the others I mentioned are concerned? They're good to go and chomping at the bit. I don't blame them at all.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not real fussy Jimm and I enjoy a good challenge. Is an electric wheelchair considered a motorized vehicle tho?

As far as the others I mentioned are concerned? They're good to go and chomping at the bit. I don't blame them at all.
Should be really tough to validate your dismay for the wildlife yet promote more of the abuse by yet another group either through a loop hole or outright poaching. Not sue about the wheel chair but should be able to put a rifle rest on it
Old 03-24-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Should be really tough to validate your dismay for the wildlife yet promote more of the abuse by yet another group either through a loop hole or outright poaching. Not sue about the wheel chair but should be able to put a rifle rest on it

I'm not promoting abuse at all. I won't be doing it because I'm not married to a card carrying Metis woman with linEage but I actually don't see much difference in what they plan on doing than hiding behind the "stewards of the land" catchphrase. Both are complete BS.

You got me thinking tho. Convert that baby to a side by side, boost the power a tad and slap on some gunrests? Now we're talking. Would the frame be sturdy enough for a winch is the question.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
This might be the stupidest analogy I've ever seen. Ever.
Just proves that you really don't understand what you're even arguing for. Greed is your motivation, not tradition.
(and I'd be very surprised to learn that any oil wells were ever dug with shovels in the past lololol)

It's really too bad that more members of the "nation" don't have the same attitude as trigger7mm and JD848. My hat's off to you two. Mb-MBR you could really learn something from guys like them.
Sorry for my absence from this discussion, was out tapping maple trees with my grandkids this weekend carrying on another tradition. The only greed I may have is hoping my grandchildren have a better future in this country and are considered equals in spite of their heritage.

I cant compare myself to someone I dont know so will leave that up to you. As for tradition, I've been hunting Elk, Moose, deer with a long bow and cedar arrows for 35 plus years and have been very successful(pics to prove if you want) and that is with a status card. No i dont put in for draws like others, I dont have to but that doesn't mean I dont have values.

My philosophy passed on to me by "tradition" and taught to me by elders is whatever I take, "I'm borrowing from my grandchildren" and I tell them that when I return from the field, I tell them what I took was theirs and borrowed it for us to eat. Hoping they in turn do the same should they choose to hunt....

In order for everyone to move ahead, discussions like this need to occur out in the open so the biases that people latch onto like a woodtick in the spring can be relaxed. Doesn't mean we have to all agree but respect our differences.

I can't and won't defend anyone that kills animals and leaves them to waste. Or hunts on land without land owners permission. I have the utmost regard for land owners and respect their possessions as I would want them to respect mine.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Sorry for my absence from this discussion, was out tapping maple trees with my grandkids this weekend carrying on another tradition. The only greed I may have is hoping my grandchildren have a better future in this country and are considered equals in spite of their heritage.

MB.. Sorry, I dont know your background. So I have to ask, Equal with who?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
MB.. Sorry, I dont know your background. So I have to ask, Equal with who?
There can only be equality, if the laws and regulations apply to every person, regardless of race or religion.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Does anybody here know if Shannon Phillips is a metis?
I don't know the answer to that but, from the pictures I've seen of her, I would say she is not likely of Scandinavian descent.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There can only be equality, if the laws and regulations apply to every person, regardless of race or religion.
Agree...some want “more” rights than others, that’s not equal rights.

LC
Old 03-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Agree...some want “more” rights than others, that’s not equal rights.

LC
You guys have this completely and totally wrong, jumping down the throat of the Métis, Inuit or status indigenous people, they or anyone else can ask for whatever they may want. You guys that are so vocal must realize that the fault is not in the asking but is in the giving. Your battle lies elsewhere.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
You guys have this completely and totally wrong, jumping down the throat of the Métis, Inuit or status indigenous people, they or anyone else can ask for whatever they may want. You guys that are so vocal must realize that the fault is not in the asking but is in the giving. Your battle lies elsewhere.
Exactly. Blame the game, not the players. This horse got out of the barn a VERY VERY long time ago. Perhaps one day we will see some positive changes from a FED POV. For now, all we can do is try and manage things in our own province.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Where does the battle belong? I beleive it’s the governments decisions that has albertans up in arms, not the people who do the asking. Do you blame us for being upset having the Alberta government spit in our face?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I’m not jumping down any throats, pointing out the obvious hypocracy. I worked in Cambridge Bay guess what I was a visible minority there. Contrary to popular belief not only “whites” can be racist.

The comments here BTW are not racist but are pointing out there is a clear disconnect on equality in 2019.

LC
Old 03-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I’m not jumping down any throats, pointing out the obvious hypocracy. I worked in Cambridge Bay guess what I was a visible minority there. Contrary to popular belief not only “whites” can be racist.

The comments here BTW are not racist but are pointing out there is a clear disconnect on equality in 2019.

LC
You certainly are jumping to conclusions, you quoted me and then started talking about racism, I never implied anything even close to that or said anything like that. I’ll break it down to plain English, don’t get mad at the Métis for asking for stuff, get mad at the government for giving it to them. Nothing else implied or stated, all of Alberta elected the people who gave away what you are blaming the Métis for taking, they did not take, only accepted what was given.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Where does the battle belong? I beleive it’s the governments decisions that has albertans up in arms, not the people who do the asking. Do you blame us for being upset having the Alberta government spit in our face?
Until I brought it up there was not a single comment about the government, only people claiming how the Métis deserve nothing more than themselves. Another simple question to answer, listen carefully, the Métis would have nothing if the government Albertains elected didn’t give it to them. Is that clear enough or do the crayons need to come out. You came out hard at me saying the same thing as me. Of course it’s the government and not the Métis, who the heck would not accept what is given, do you take Medicare, unemployment benefits, old age pension, it’s been asked for and given
Old 03-25-2019, 07:49 PM
Banned

Anyways, 10 pages of the same things that have already been said on the last 15 Métis threads by the same people. Nothing new will come of this thread and it will go round and round until someone crosses a line and it’s closed. People will never be equal, the rich get taxed less, Government employees get perks, homeless get free food, drug addicts get free injection sites yet diabetics pay for theirs, and on and on, life just isn’t fair is it. I respectfully bow out and hope I brought some factual information to an emotional few from an old Métis with a bit of historical information, good luck to you all at achieving what your goals are, what ever that may be

Last edited by Jimm; 03-25-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Until I brought it up there was not a single comment about the government, only people claiming how the Métis deserve nothing more than themselves. Another simple question to answer, listen carefully, the Métis would have nothing if the government Albertains elected didn’t give it to them. Is that clear enough or do the crayons need to come out. You came out hard at me saying the same thing as me. Of course it’s the government and not the Métis, who the heck would not accept what is given, do you take Medicare, unemployment benefits, old age pension, it’s been asked for and given
Until you brought it up????? Lol, hit the valve and let a little air out! What did you think, we all figured the metis just made this up themselves??? Hahaha! Maybe the crayons would have been a nice way to start out the thread for you.

The metis would have nothing? By nothing you mean like every other Albertan who isn’t metis or Treaty? Absolutely heartbreaking.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
The metis would have nothing? By nothing you mean like every other Albertan who isn’t metis or Treaty? Absolutely heartbreaking.
Imagine that, humans living like equals.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I find the fact the Metis even asked to be a disappointment. I think just the ASK part if this crap show devalues a very cool and respected segment of our society. I grew up reading about Louie Riel, the battle of Duck Lake, the postage stamp province of Manitoba. I thought it was all fantastic and made it look like the Metis were a bunch of Bad Ass folks. In my late 20's I actually managed to get to visit Duck Lake. Very cool experience. A group of people stood up to the Gov of Canada and told the Gov to go pound sand and were willing to die for what they believed in. Now here I find the same named group begging for scraps and talking about rights and wanting/needing special treatment.
So much opportunity here in our world and part of this western attitude is partly because of what the Metis of old accomplished. To see todays so called Metis pulling this crap is extremely disappointing.

The Metis could be and should be celebrated by everyone in the west. But here we are.........
Old 03-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I find the fact the Metis even asked to be a disappointment. I think just the ASK part if this crap show devalues a very cool and respected segment of our society. I grew up reading about Louie Riel, the battle of Duck Lake, the postage stamp province of Manitoba. I thought it was all fantastic and made it look like the Metis were a bunch of Bad Ass folks. In my late 20's I actually managed to get to visit Duck Lake. Very cool experience. A group of people stood up to the Gov of Canada and told the Gov to go pound sand and were willing to die for what they believed in. Now here I find the same named group begging for scraps and talking about rights and wanting/needing special treatment.
So much opportunity here in our world and part of this western attitude is partly because of what the Metis of old accomplished. To see todays so called Metis pulling this crap is extremely disappointing.

The Metis could be and should be celebrated by everyone in the west. But here we are.........

Apologies Jamie, as I have said, I respectfully bow out
Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 PM
Banned

Jimm and MBR you guys are stand up guys. You can hunt my land anytime you want. Got lots of moose/elk/deer.