Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 05:22 AM

Default Sometimes people do it to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
All I did was give cat some perspective that it took 4 pages of first nations bashing to have someone speak up. And look where that got him? Banned.

This whole threads been derailed on discussions unrelated to wainwright thanks to mark.

Is it acceptable that we have some members here telling first nations/metis people that their photos arent wanted around here? I havent seen anyone speak up on those comments other then me so far.

Please feel free to lecture me some more on the equal rights your hoping for when it's clear some users dont want metis/first nations here.
Just got word from a pal of mine that some wonderful FN ladies had five elk confiscated yesterday because the got caught shooting them in the no go zone.
I guess in the restaurant afterwards they were mad as hornets that they took the elk. Didn’t have much regard for the rules and still thought they should have got to keep the elk.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Just got word from a pal of mine that some wonderful FN ladies had five elk confiscated yesterday because the got caught shooting them in the no go zone.
I guess in the restaurant afterwards they were mad as hornets that they took the elk. Didn’t have much regard for the rules and still thought they should have got to keep the elk.
Anyone caught in the closed area, should be charged, and banned from the facility for life. If they only lost the elk, they got away lucky.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Anyone caught in the closed area, should be charged, and banned from the facility for life. If they only lost the elk, they got away lucky.
The CAF does not discriminate when it comes to personal crossing into unauthorized areas on bases , so they may very well be banned from all CAF bases in the future .......
Cat
Old 12-11-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
hey look, over there, 6 elk! Kill them so knowbody else can have one! Boom! Bang! Boom! Boom! Bang! Boom!, guess one got away! I was really looking forward to putting 2000 lbs of meat in the freezer!
Old 12-11-2019, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
the base definitely would have charged them and rightfully so. Sounds like your story is missing some critical info. I remember last year people claiming 100+ first nations took 60 more in one day....

The story was quickly proved to be bs as shed was posting data on the hunts at the time.

If your story is TRUE hopefully they throw the book at them.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:07 AM

Soooo 1 keeper of the land shot a truck in the parking lot last year and now 5 elk shot in a closed area......
Looks like Wainwright base is very quickly becoming a complete gong show. They made a mess of suffield. Now this. 58 extra unchecked hunters in a 3 day season. No wonder the moose population is declining it will be a priority 6 for muzzleloader soon. It used to be a 0 for anterless moose not long ago. Another great opportunity that has and will be waisted. Welcome to the decline everyone.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
the base definitely would have charged them and rightfully so. Sounds like your story is missing some critical info. I remember last year people claiming 100+ first nations took 60 more in one day....

The story was quickly proved to be bs as shed was posting data on the hunts at the time.

If your story is TRUE hopefully they throw the book at them.
I don’t remember hearing about this elk slaughter at wainwright
You might have it mixed up with suffield
I do remember seeing a significant moose harvest by the fn hunters during the first rifle season. That was no rumour
Chance are slim that these people will get charged
The reality of this day and age is that laws don’t apply to everyone the same
Different rules for different people
It’s a shame
Old 12-11-2019, 07:45 AM

Confirmed at the briefing this am that charges were handed out yesterday evening after 5 bull elk were illegally harvested. 2 charges per person were handed out and those in question were removed from the base. The chief in charge was clearly not impressed by what took place last night.
Stay safe everyone and if anyone sees a bull moose today out here we'd love that info haha.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
The story was quickly proved to be bs as shed was posting data on the hunts at the time. If your story is TRUE hopefully they throw the book at them.
R3illy last year the discussion on the Wainwright hunt was the number of moose taken and more specifically a number shot by 1 FN individual.

As one other poster noted the 60 elk would have been Suffield. I was down there for the hunt after a significant number of animals were taken by a group from Sk.

Moose are taking a beating on the base and now that elk are known to be harvestable, I expect that the number of non-drawn hunters will continue to increase. Putting in for a draw a person has to face this reality and also look at the harvest numbers and realize that the true success rate for hunters through the draw will be lower. Just how it is.

Last edited by 2 Tollers; 12-11-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:11 AM

What a joke! I have no words!
Old 12-11-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
Soooo 1 keeper of the land shot a truck in the parking lot last year and now 5 elk shot in a closed area......
Looks like Wainwright base is very quickly becoming a complete gong show. They made a mess of suffield. Now this. 58 extra unchecked hunters in a 3 day season. No wonder the moose population is declining it will be a priority 6 for muzzleloader soon. It used to be a 0 for anterless moose not long ago. Another great opportunity that has and will be waisted. Welcome to the decline everyone.
Agreed that this hunt is quickly going downhill like Suffield did. Rarely heard of any incidents like this at Wainwright until the last couple years with the increase in subsistence hunters. I hope everyone one out there in the current and future hunts stay safe and hopefully there are no trucks "harvested" this year......
Old 12-11-2019, 08:47 AM

I'm speechless. But not surprised. Just got back on the weekend from 3 enjoyable days on the base. This has to stop.

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
What a joke! I have no words!
I agree.

Im sick of the it is in the treaty, it is our right. Im sick of the word subsistence.
If it is subsistence hunting then why when Suffield was in its glory were the only animals being killed prior to the season opening all 350 + class bulls.

Somewhere above I read that we were taught to only harvest males?? BS.

Sorry to again take this off the rails but OMG. It just never ends!
Old 12-11-2019, 08:56 AM

Again, email the environment minister. There can be a case made for conservation I’m sure.
Strength in numbers!

rimbey.RockyMountainhouse.Sundre@assembly.ab.ca
Old 12-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram94 View Post
Again, email the environment minister. There can be a case made for conservation I’m sure.
Strength in numbers!

rimbey.RockyMountainhouse.Sundre@assembly.ab.ca
I have and I urge everyone to state their concerns.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:26 AM

2 Tollers you are correct on the moose issue. I personally seen 1 Native with 3 moose stacked like cord wood in his box heads loaded the hardest way for the bio to get a sample. That guy had a sask plate. Great way to ruin meat the cow on top of 2 calves to retain and cook the meat....
But hey cant say nothing or it racist....Abuse is abuse doesn't matter if it's by a Native Canadian or a First Nation Canadian. Now with the new metis harvest rights I know of 4 people who went and got there cards just to shoot moose. Never cared before. But now with the moose wait times reaching ridiculous levels they said screw it. My kids will need a p 10 to shoot a bull in 4 years at this rate. And we live in a p2 area
Old 12-11-2019, 10:02 AM

On a side note, can someone tell me FOR SURE what the rules are for status hunters (or all hunters if it is the same) regarding checking out of the base and then driving along hwy 41 and the base perimeter to locate/hunt animals?
I came across this with a 2 different parties on the weekend and it got me thinking.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Wow!
Its so nice that I read this thread.
I have high priority for moose and was thinking about applying for 2020 to explore the new for me place.
After reading your posts I've already decided that its not the hunt that I am looking for.
Thanks!

S12
Old 12-11-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
On a side note, can someone tell me FOR SURE what the rules are for status hunters (or all hunters if it is the same) regarding checking out of the base and then driving along hwy 41 and the base perimeter to locate/hunt animals?
I came across this with a 2 different parties on the weekend and it got me thinking.
If you leave the base other than crossing the highway to access the annex, or to return from the annex, you have to check out at the hunter check station, and then check back in when you return. They made this very clear during the morning briefings.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
If you leave the base other than crossing the highway to access the annex, or to return from the annex, you have to check out at the hunter check station, and then check back in when you return. They made this very clear during the morning briefings.
That part is very clear, yes,
But what I encountered were 2 separate parties that checked out (so they said), proceeded to circle the base looking for game, and then were going to check back in. For clarity, I was not hunting or within the base.
The one party indicated that they were willing to "pop something from out here" and then check back in to go get it.
I know exactly where the law stands regarding licenced hunters doing this, but as status and metis can hunt anywhere they have permission, would the above scenario be ok with the base?
Old 12-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
But what I encountered were 2 separate parties that checked out (so they said), proceeded to circle the base looking for game, and then were going to check back in. For clarity, I was not hunting or within the base.
The one party indicated that they were willing to "pop something from out here" and then check back in to go get it.
I know exactly where the law stands regarding licenced hunters doing this, but as status and metis can hunt anywhere they have permission, would the above scenario be ok with the base?
So they are discharging projectiles onto the base without being checked in? You can't do that without permission. Being checked in, is a condition of being granted permission to access the base.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:

If this is the case i would support any charges against this group as well not allow them to keep there harvest and be not allowed to any army base for hunting this bs need to stop there just killing it for every other respectful fn hunters!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2019, 11:22 AM

Default Wainwright 2019

This is so wrong! Is it true that anybody with a Métis card in his pocket can show up at any time during one of the scheduled hunts, and go hunting inside the base? Subsistence hunting my ass.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:48 AM

Default Just a thought

How about partitioning the government to allow all FN and Métis from across the country SOLE access to hunt Camp Wainwright and the Suffield Base for there subsistence. No other groups allowed!
In return FN and Métis are to give up there subsistence hunting rights in the rest of the province.

Bluedog
Old 12-11-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
How about partitioning the government to allow all FN and Métis from across the country SOLE access to hunt Camp Wainwright and the Suffield Base for there subsistence. No other groups allowed!
In return FN and Métis are to give up there subsistence hunting rights in the rest of the province.

Bluedog
how about they hunt there reserves, or obtain permission from landowners like the rest of us?? Or is that to far fetched? Plus I’m sure there isn’t a edible creature left on the reservations.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Bluedog
And in 3 years when there are no animals left there, should we advocate for letting them hunt the eco areas and all the other trophy bearing land?
Old 12-11-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Bluedog
Would never fly because of treaties protecting FN hunting rights and I doubt FN would agree to it willingly
Old 12-11-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Bluedog
I'd support that but with the stipulation that they would be responsible for managing a sustainable harvest and no other benefits or areas would be added. It would be a good experiment/demonstration on if they truly are "keepers of the land". I suspect the Alberta crown land moose populations would noticeably turn around for the better within 5 years and licenced hunters draw wait times would be cut in half IMO.....
Old 12-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:

Bluedog
FN already have sole access to all crown(never gonna give that up), military bases(sure helped to clean out Suffield) and have begun hunting national parks. Wait till the granola munchers see the buffalo, elk and moose in the back of pick ups coming out of Elk Island as they drive in lol.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
So they are discharging projectiles onto the base without being checked in? You can't do that without permission. Being checked in, is a condition of being granted permission to access the base.
No they didn't. I said the the one group had stated their intention to do so given the opportunity.
Got me thinking about the legality of what they were doing.
Closed Thread