Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-24-2019, 11:30 AM

Default Old Recurve String Question

I just got an old Bear take-down re-curve bow, and need some advice on strings. This is a 1970's model, looks in decent shape with very, very minor scuffing on the limbs (almost none), no noticeable limb warping, just some paint peeling off the metal riser. Looks solid, still all together. But I need some strings!

This bow has two poundage statistics on it.

60" - 50#
66" - 48#

Is there any known danger going with the shorter string since it's old?

I prefer the shorter bow length (for going through brush and drawing in tight spaces or low to the ground). The extra 2 lbs is not really the issue. I will be using Dacron strings.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:28 PM
Banned

I think your bow might have had a set of longer limbs, perhaps for practice.
You could get away with 2" shorter string but 6" might be overkill and potentially ruin your bow.

I might be wrong but what you're proposing sounds terrifying
Old 01-01-2020, 09:32 PM

Your limbs are marked for a short and long riser length if those markings are on the limbs, You can't use the wrong string length , you need the string to match your riser. The folks on the Leatherwall will be able to help you determine what riser you have.

The markings are bow length's not string length's.

That bow will need a DACRON string, to be safe, and probably 4" shorter than the stated bow length. Those bows were not made to Amo spec, which calls for 3 " shorter than the bows length.

Last edited by petew; 01-01-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Your limbs are marked for a short and long riser length if those markings are on the limbs, You can't use the wrong string length , you need the string to match your riser. The folks on the Leatherwall will be able to help you determine what riser you have.

The markings are bow length's not string length's.

That bow will need a DACRON string, to be safe, and probably 4" shorter than the stated bow length. Those bows were not made to Amo spec, which calls for 3 " shorter than the bows length.
Not all the time. I have a selfbow that shoots fastflight. As long as the old bear has overlays shouldn’t be an issue.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
Not all the time. I have a selfbow that shoots fastflight. As long as the old bear has overlays shouldn’t be an issue.
All of my selfbows are shooting modern materials , but thats my risk. So far it is not a problem , that said I am not going to be the one to recomend fast flight or modern materials for some other persons older bows that were not rated or recomended to use it. Take chances on our own toys , not on others .

Also bear in mind Fast Flight material is a specific material type . Calling all modern materials fast flight is akin to calling every tire a Goodyear , or every snowmobile A Skidoo . Its not the same material. I dont use FF or dacron on any of my bows , but thats my risk and choice to make.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:41 AM

Fastflight was brownells. D97 dynaflight97 whatever. It’s not going to hurt a laminate bow. If one makes a Flemish twist. The string is wide at the loops and has a lot of buffer. I’d say low risk at best.