Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-26-2010, 07:25 PM

Default Need Clarification on Storage and Transport

Would one of you fine gentlemen clear up these two topics for me? Or direct me to legislation that contains this information?

1. What are the rules regarding storage of shotguns in the home? Do they need to have trigger locks? What if I disassemble my guns? Ammo needs to be in a different room?

2. When driving to a hunt, can my shotgun be in the vehicle (unloaded of course) without a trigger lock?

Your clarification would leave me forever in your debt...well not forever, but for a few minutes at least!
Old 08-26-2010, 07:55 PM

My guns are locked in a room, not need for a trigger lock.
When transporting you also do no need a trigger lock or even have the gun in a case.
There are exceptions of course, many municipalities have regulations regarding cased guns , and going through a Provincial park you need to have your gun cased.
Cat
Old 08-26-2010, 08:02 PM

Catinthehat is on target. However if they re not in a locked room then trigger locks are required and ammo must be sperate. If your firearm is altered not to fire (i.e dissassembled) then there is no need to lock it as it has been rendered inoperable.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
However if they re not in a locked room then trigger locks are required and ammo must be sperate.
Trigger locks are not required if the gun is in a locked room,a safe,in a locked case,or if it is secured to a wall or solid object by a cable and lock.None of my non restricted firearms have ever had a trigger lock on them.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:34 PM

Print off a copy so you can refer to it...keep a copy in your gun case and truck.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...posage-eng.pdf
Old 08-26-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Catinthehat is on target. However if they re not in a locked room then trigger locks are required and ammo must be sperate. If your firearm is altered not to fire (i.e dissassembled) then there is no need to lock it as it has been rendered inoperable.
Can you show me where it says that they have to be in a locked room or trigger lock i can not find it. It does how ever say that they must be stored in a safe manner.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
My guns are locked in a room, not need for a trigger lock.
When transporting you also do no need a trigger lock or even have the gun in a case.
There are exceptions of course, many municipalities have regulations regarding cased guns , and going through a Provincial park you need to have your gun cased.
Cat
Cat
I have heard of the municipalities having different laws but why when they can not supersede federal law..
g73
Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 PM

Thank you all, this was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Cat
I have heard of the municipalities having different laws but why when they can not supersede federal law..
g73
Municipality/Town supersedes Federal law on the amount of ammo and primers your allowed ...

I am also to the understanding that if you have a small safe or lock box for the bolts on a bolt gun..you can have the barreled action in a stock sitting in your living room.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:39 PM

According to federal law you must store your non-restricted guns

A) unloaded.
and(at least ONE of the following)
B)Rendered inoperable by removing the bolt or bolt carrier (oddly enough they don't say anything about you having to lock up the bolt after it's removed)

OR

a lock on the trigger or action, rendering the gun inoperable

OR

in a locked container or locked room that "cannot be easily broken into"
Old 08-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Ammo storage must be stored "separate" from guns, but may be stored in the same locked container as your guns.

Transporting non restricted's is very simple.

They must be unloaded. That is all. No trigger lock, case or anything else else is required UNLESS you are leaving them in the vehicle unattended, in which case they must be out of sight(put em in the trunk, cover them with you jacket, whatever no trigger lock required). That is all.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post
Ammo storage must be stored "separate" from guns, but may be stored in the same locked container as your guns.

Transporting non restricted's is very simple.

They must be unloaded. That is all. No trigger lock, case or anything else else is required UNLESS you are leaving them in the vehicle unattended, in which case they must be out of sight(put em in the trunk, cover them with you jacket, whatever no trigger lock required). That is all.
Thank you sir.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:38 PM

Default Black Powder

Interestingly, loaded Black Powder rifles/shotguns can be in your vehicle provided the other rules are followed, so long as you do not have a percussion cap on the nipple.