Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2017, 09:56 AM

Default CWD results

Heading into a CWD testing area this week and was wondering how many of you have actually received results and how long it generally takes to get them?
Do you wait to eat the meat until you get results?

Thanks guys
Old 10-31-2017, 11:40 AM

We process our own, label each pack and now wait for results. The results come very quickly if you get the heads in early. If you harvest a positive animal you can get a replacement tag (likely for the next season). Also there was research done at the U of Calgary that showed macaque monkeys got CWD from eating meat containing the prion. There is info on the Gov. of Alberta website, and a friend sent some info from the State of Wisconsin website with handy tips for handling an animal and gear. This year we are starting to take bleach for cleaning knives etc. I did get a mulie several years ago in 234 that was skinny and had no fat on it at all, I don't think the deer would ever had made it through the winter, that was years before we heard about CWD.
Doug
Old 10-31-2017, 11:54 AM

If you shoot a buck, what do you keep and what do you submit. I assume you don't submit the whole head/antlers if you want to keep the antlers.
Sorry for the question, I'm not familiar with hunting in CWD zones...
Thanks,
SS
Old 10-31-2017, 12:14 PM

Result times vary. Search for threads on it from last year and you will see some guys were a week...others seemed to be several weeks

I noticed that they have pushed the CWD zones further west and now have areas of interest (next year will be CWD turn in).

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...Heads-2017.pdf

General info here

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...g-disease.aspx

I always wonder for the non CWD head turn in zones how many infected deer are being taken and eaten without checking.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:13 PM

I called the number in the regs cause I couldn't remember. Here's what I was told, if you want to cut off the skull cap and antlers - no problem- but if you want a European or full mount that's another story. The number to call is on the first page inside the cover of the regs. Margo got back to me right away.
Info I got at an AFGA Zone 4 meeting is last year 3.5% of the heads checked were positive. So far this year 6% have been positive, the greatest majority by far is male mule deer. I know one WT was positive by Fort Saskatchewan last season. The problem is spreading west fairly quickly. Cabelas Edmonton now have freezers for dropping heads off.
Like I tell my wife "I like big butts, but only on my mule deer" we'll be in 234 the 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
Good luck
Doug
Old 10-31-2017, 01:38 PM
Banned

my elk took 6 weeks
Old 10-31-2017, 01:39 PM

One thing to make note of is the transportation regulation on deer coming out of CWD zones. The spinal column can not be transported out of at risk areas, meaning that quartering or de-boning is the recommended practise if sat you live in Edmonton or Calgary and want to bring the meat home to butcher.

Also antlers and skull plates must be cleaned before taking them out of the Eastern zones.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:50 PM

I took a buck Sept 26 and I had results within 2 weeks. I cut the skull plate off and tried to be as careful with the brain as possible. It was recommend to me from a taxidermy to freeze the skull and do it frozen so the brain doesn't turn to mush. My buck came back positive, the zone that it was taken in had 3% cwd for mule bucks in 2015 and was 13% in 2016. So it is on the rise.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2017, 06:57 PM

Default Cwd

Akoch

One thing to make note of is the transportation regulation on deer coming out of CWD zones. The spinal column can not be transported out of at risk areas, meaning that quartering or de-boning is the recommended practise if sat you live in Edmonton or Calgary and want to bring the meat home to butcher.

Also antlers and skull plates must be cleaned before taking them out of the Eastern zones.

Akoch
I haven't seen anything on the transportation regulation you reference. Can you please advise where I can find this info.

Thanks,
Phil
Old 10-31-2017, 09:34 PM

Thanks guys good info.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:39 AM

Default Cwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugh View Post
We process our own, label each pack and now wait for results. The results come very quickly if you get the heads in early. If you harvest a positive animal you can get a replacement tag (likely for the next season). Also there was research done at the U of Calgary that showed macaque monkeys got CWD from eating meat containing the prion. There is info on the Gov. of Alberta website, and a friend sent some info from the State of Wisconsin website with handy tips for handling an animal and gear. This year we are starting to take bleach for cleaning knives etc. I did get a mulie several years ago in 234 that was skinny and had no fat on it at all, I don't think the deer would ever had made it through the winter, that was years before we heard about CWD.
Doug
From what I have read nothing will kill prions on knives or anything for that matter.
Google: The Challenge of CWD: Insidiuous and Dire

Last edited by robfraser; 11-01-2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: More info
Old 11-01-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Akoch
I haven't seen anything on the transportation regulation you reference. Can you please advise where I can find this info.

Thanks,
Phil
http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...ng-Oct2009.pdf
Old 11-01-2017, 12:41 PM

Default Cwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Thanks for the link CMichaud .

I understood the previous post to mean new Regulations had come out prohibiting the transport of deer from CWD zones.

The link you provided is from 2009 and while the transportation restrictions suggested are very valid there is considerable new information available regarding the handling of potentially infected animals and the potential of humans becoming infected, since this information was published. Unfortunately AEP is not entirely current with the info they are providing us.

Phil

Last edited by Phil; 11-01-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: change in wording
Old 11-01-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
This is a Recommendation, not a regulation.

New CWD control measures being put forward for implementation as a law are dramatically more stringent on how potential CWD wildlife is to be handled.
It will change our hunting culture.

For now, the best route is to leave everything that you are not going to use at the kill site. Bone out the meat.

MB1,

DO NOT eat the meat until it has been tested as CWD negative. New research mentioned earlier is showing a real potential that Humans may be vulnerable to contracting CWD from eating infected meat.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-01-2017, 01:04 PM

Here is a direct copy paste from the website.

Step One: Deer Head Submission
Hunter CWD surveillance starts with the submission of hunter-harvested deer heads along with the geographic coordinates where each deer was killed in Alberta.
Depending on where in Alberta you are hunting, deer head submission for CWD testing is either mandatory or voluntary.
Be familiar with the CWD testing requirements for the area that you are hunting in.
For a map illustrating mandatory CWD testing areas in Alberta, see Related Information below for CWD Freezer Locations (Deer Hunters: Assist Us With Our CWD Surveillance).
If possible, please do not shoot deer in the head, as this can damage the lymph nodes and brain samples needed for testing. A usable sample consists of the entire head but you can remove the antlers and antler skull plate and not damage the required tissues.
Please remove the neck just behind the head – so the head takes up much less space in the freezer!
Do not remove and submit only the brain.
For so-called ‘European’ mounts, submit the following tissues:
Lower jaw
All tissues from the roof of the mouth at the back of the throat, and
The part of the brain that contains the connection between the spinal cord and the brain (this lies ~5 cm inside the big hole at the back of the skull)
Bag the two samples separately and then put the two bags together in a third bag. This keeps all tissues from one animal together.
Keep the deer head frozen.
You can drop off the frozen head at any Fish and Wildlife office in Alberta (during regular office hours)
During fall rifle seasons there are 24-hour freezer locations where heads can be dropped off. See Related Information below for CWD Freezer Locations (Deer Hunters: Assist Us With Our CWD Surveillance).
Every head submitted for CWD testing must have a green CWD identification label fixed to it (see below).
The freezers contain bags and green CWD identification labels for you to fill out (bags and labels also are available at Fish and Wildlife offices). It is very important that you:
Fill out both sides of the CWD label, providing as much detail as possible regarding the location of the submitted sample (GPS, Sec/Twp/Rge, or latitude/longitude) in addition to the Wildlife Management Unit [WMU])
Provide your complete personal contact information, so that we can contact you with test results
Fasten the CWD label securely to the head of the deer.
Keep the bottom part of the label as your record of the CWD number that identifies each specific deer head.
NOTE THAT HEADS SUBMITTED FOR CWD TESTING ARE NOT RETURNED TO THE HUNTER.
If you want to keep the antlers, you MUST take off what you want before you submit the head!

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...g-disease.aspx
Old 11-01-2017, 03:15 PM

My bad, I read all but the last line saying it was voluntary. It seems like a better way to control the spread rather than having everyone in Alberta shoot the hell out of the deer in those units just to track it all over the place.

Took a doe in 248 and decided I would take the carcass to clover bar which is the recommended practise on the Strathcona County website, $100 to drop off bones. Can’t imagine many hunters in Edmonton that are shooting deer in the east are disposing of their bones in the recommended manner.

Thanks for clarifying!