Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-21-2012, 09:04 PM

Default Mold on deer meat

I have a mule deer hanging for 2 weeks...I didn't look at it for a couple of days and now I've noticed a little mold in places on it...was planning on butchering it this coming Saturday...I've left my deer this long many times with no problem...the weather has been cool...so is this meat ok??? Can I just cut it off and butcher? Thanks for advice....brian
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 PM

I've been told that's all the butchers do, especially when it's busy, so I guess it's ok, but I can't say as I would be real keen on eating it. I'm sure someone with experience will be able to give you a better answer.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:14 PM

Default mold

Had that happen to a moose years ago. We trimmed it down about a 1/4 inch on all the cuts and it was by far the best meat I have eaten. We left my friends cow moose hang ten days this year and it was just starting to get a few fuzz spots on the inside of the back legs. Butchered her on Sunday, trimmed off a bit on the outside and she tastes fantastic. Maybe the English were on to something with " high game".

Les
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 PM

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 PM

. Maybe the English were on to something with " high game".

Les[/QUOTE]

Yup...hang the deer by the neck and when it falls.... ITS READY!!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 PM

depends on the colore of the mold. White is ok clean it off and butcher away. If its green your hooped. Had that happen to me with and elk a few years ago. Called a butcher and ge gave me the same advice. Mold was white and the meat was excellant. My ex wouldn't eat it until I didn't die for a month. Hope this helps.
PG
Old 11-21-2012, 09:28 PM

It will be fine as long as it has been hung in an environment that never exceeded 4-5 degrees celcius.

LC
Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 PM

Most of my game has mold on it before I cut it. I mix vinigar and water 50/50 and wash the whole carcass down and cut it up. IMHO it makes for the best tasting and tenderest game meat.
As was mentioned - the mold was white not green.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:48 PM

Default Mold is white

Yes the mold is white...and I checked the calander, it's actually only going to be hung for 2 weeks on this coming Saturday...I wonder why mold developed? It's been nice and cool and I've hung for longer before...thanks for the helpful info guys....
Old 11-21-2012, 09:56 PM

It will be just fine

Have you ever had AAA 28 day aged beef . I wouldnt reccommend you look at it before its cut into steaks....... LOL
Old 11-21-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
Yes the mold is white...and I checked the calander, it's actually only going to be hung for 2 weeks on this coming Saturday...I wonder why mold developed? It's been nice and cool and I've hung for longer before...thanks for the helpful info guys....
The purpose for hanging game...is a controlled rotting process. It is not unusual for mold to develop after 2 weeks. We did some cutting tonight of a moose that was hung in a cooler for 17 days and there was a small amount of white mold on the meat...not worried at all.

LC
Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 PM

Perfectly fine. Trim and butcher, I let them get that way as well. I've been told that that's when you butcher for better cuts.Let it hang until it starts to get that fuzz look, then butcher.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 PM

It's mildew from the humidity, clean it with the vinegar mix that bearB8er mentioned. Nothing to worry about!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:51 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks again guys for the info! I'll be cutting and packing on Saturday...
Old 11-22-2012, 07:24 AM

If you ever make charcuterie (dry cured meats) one method of keeping bad mold off the surface is to actually spray it with a bacteria culture (white powdery mold) that covers it and prevents the green and black molds from growing. before you eat you just wipe with vinegar or peel off the casing depending on what kind/style is being cured.

2 weeks of hanging should make some tasty meat.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:15 AM

Here is a fun fact sheet if you have a few minutes.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...Food/index.asp
Old 11-22-2012, 08:27 AM

Here is another great article about hanging and aging game....if you read it, read the whole thing. Lots of good info in there.

http://www.theoutdoorlodge.com/featu..._big_game.html

LC
Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 AM

No problem. Just trim and be clean and enjoy the tender feasts
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Here is another great article about hanging and aging game....if you read it, read the whole thing. Lots of good info in there.

http://www.theoutdoorlodge.com/featu..._big_game.html

LC
Quote:
properly chilled game should be aged with the hide on unless it is to be stored in a cooler where the humidity is high
Quote:
Very rapid chilling and hardening causes meat to be tough. This condition is known as cold shortening; it will occur if the internal muscle temperature drops to 32ºF within 12 hours after the kill. Leaving the hide on will help prevent cold shortening and also help to keep the carcass from freezing.
^^^^^^^^^

Coincides with my reasons for leaving the hide on. No mold on the meat when you hang with the hide on and very little nasty crust to trim off.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
Had that happen to a moose years ago. We trimmed it down about a 1/4 inch on all the cuts and it was by far the best meat I have eaten. We left my friends cow moose hang ten days this year and it was just starting to get a few fuzz spots on the inside of the back legs. Butchered her on Sunday, trimmed off a bit on the outside and she tastes fantastic. Maybe the English were on to something with " high game".

Les
X2,had a September bull a few years ago that we thought we were gonna lose after only 3-4 days in garage....butcher buddy came over,said it was fine,trim 1/4" off the outside layers and best moose we ever ate!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:56 PM

HAd some mold develop on an elk last year. First time I've experienced it.
I attribute it to hanging in an uncontrolled environment (garage) for close to 2 weeks. Fluctuating temps may have been the cause. Have had moose hang for over 2 weeks in a cooler and not a spot of mold.
We had left the hide on the elk. Mold on the inside of the cavity.
It ended up being fine eating and still alive today
Old 11-22-2012, 04:39 PM

I prefer the hide on hanging if conditions are right as well. Have done this for years with no problems at all. Temp. must be monitored though and do not let it freeze.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
^^^^^^^^^

Coincides with my reasons for leaving the hide on. No mold on the meat when you hang with the hide on and very little nasty crust to trim off.
I was always taught to get the hide off as soon as possible and that is how we do it. But I see more and more people who leave it on. I just can't because it was entrenched in me from very young not to. I have a walk in cooler and I guess really if the temp is constant it shouldn't matter. I would like to hear some more comments about leaving the hide on.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:56 PM

2 weeks?? hmm
ive seen it before and just cut it off 1/4" like already said.
when beef is aged for two weeks its in a very control temperature environment and the fat content is much different then lean deer.. 1 week would be plenty time to hang.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemoosemeat View Post
I was always taught to get the hide off as soon as possible and that is how we do it. But I see more and more people who leave it on. I just can't because it was entrenched in me from very young not to. I have a walk in cooler and I guess really if the temp is constant it shouldn't matter. I would like to hear some more comments about leaving the hide on.
I've left the hide on a few deer in recent years anywhere from a week to 3 weeks if its cool enough after reading claims that it helps retain moisture as it ages.I hung a buck hide-on in my shed for 3 weeks with daytime temps from -10C to +10C and turned out really good,other than it wasa SOB to skin half frozen,lol.....and my long time butcher pal gave me some funny looks when I brought him a fresh skun deer with a 3 week old meat registration permit.....it looked like it was shot yesterday.

I think it helps or certainly doesn't hurt as long as the weather works with you.Unless you have your own meatlocker,I don't suspect many commercial operations would allow a hairy deer in their cooler?in the end,it certainly looks alot more fresh than a skinned carcass hung the same amount of time,and deer are small enough to cool thoroughly,don't think I'd chance a moose or elk for too long in the earlier seasons when many are taken.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemoosemeat View Post
If you have a walk in...skin it...no need to leave the hide on and drag that hair into a clean cooler. Butchers don't leave the hide on a side of beef in a cooler.

LC
Old 11-22-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
If you have a walk in...skin it...no need to leave the hide on and drag that hair into a clean cooler. Butchers don't leave the hide on a side of beef in a cooler.

LC
A side of beef has a lot more protective fat to trim away than a deer does. I've done it both ways and the product is always better if the hide is left on deer until butchering. Elk and moose are a different story.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

LC
Actually,I first learned about leaving the hide on from an article featuring a major meat processing plant in Wisconsin iirc?Their facility processes a few THOUSAND deer per season,peel the hides off with mechanical skinners etc.,and hide on aging is what they recommend whenever possible.The exception being,if I hit a shoulder etc.,I'd want to skin it ASAP and stop the bloodshot from spreading,but for a good double lunger or head/neck shot.....no worries?

Walk in or not,let's say we are huntn buds and both shoot bucks on the same day?you skin yours,I hang mine hide on,and we agree to butcher them after 21 days in our walk-in.Yours will be the dark carcass encased in a 1/8" dry rind,and mine will be the moist and fresh looking slab o'meat that looks like it was shot yesterday.

Last edited by grinr; 11-23-2012 at 12:12 AM.