Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 01:37 PM

Default Toasters

Good day to all . Not sure if this is too lame a topic for this site , but here goes anyway .

Is there such thing as a GOOD toaster ??

Time for a new one ( well actually ...way past time ...)

To me, a GOOD toaster is one that will consistently toast bread the same ,slice after slice . ( x 2 ) ...at a reasonable price

I don't need/want anything fancy , I don't need 4 slicer, or one that does bagels or anything except good old bread .

Does anybody have a toaster ( brand ) that just always works as it should ?

I realize that this is a very small issue to most , but I find that it's the small everyday stuff that can really get to one after a while .

Thanks
Bob
Old 12-08-2018, 01:41 PM

Get to 10,000 post and they'll give you the best toaster you've ever had.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:45 PM

We have a Breville its the best we've had a little on the pricy side for a toaster but it works well
Old 12-08-2018, 02:14 PM

Great thread I have a black one don't know the name but it's better than the last one I had, did only one half most of the time.
Toaster oven might be the best option.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:21 PM

Not a lame thread at all. I HATE dried out toast. I went with the best Cuisinart model and there is no looking back. It has double the heating elements so toast is done fast and the middle is not dried out. 6 out of 5 stars 😉

Dodger.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Banned

This worked well in the 30's and still does today, all that it takes is a little patience. You can easily control the degree of darkness visually, and when you become really adept, you can flip the toast with a quick flick of the wrist. You have to be very careful, as all metal surfaces are very hot and will burn you, so just touch the knobs only and you should be ok. Imagine the law suits if these were available today, back in the day if you got burnt, it was your fault, smear a little butter on it and move on. I have the cord for it and it gets used every once in a while, a little nostalgia never hurts, unless you touch it.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:02 PM

Default Turbo Toaster

This toaster will toast (2) slicer in just over a minute It toasts evenly and has a 3 yr warranty. It is made by Kuraidori and can only be purchased at home hardware. This toaster has a built in fan and over 1100watt output. That is why it will cook fast and evenly. Its a quality toaster but expensive. Over $100.00 but I believe they are on sale now for $80.00. Yes i realize most toasters are in the $35-45 dollar range but the old saying (you get what you pay for) applies in this case . Good luck searching
Old 12-08-2018, 04:13 PM

I always make the best toast on the burner top toaster we take camping.
I also make some of the worst, burnt toast on it as well.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:54 PM

Default Cuisinart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Not a lame thread at all. I HATE dried out toast. I went with the best Cuisinart model and there is no looking back. It has double the heating elements so toast is done fast and the middle is not dried out. 6 out of 5 stars 😉

Dodger.
Could you be a bit more specific on model name and/or number - there is quite a variety out there

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 12-08-2018, 04:59 PM

We have a Hamilton Beach and it has worked perfectly for 3 years now.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:26 PM

Default Toasters

We’ve had the same one for about 15 years. Can’t recall the name but the feature I like that’s a must is the dial to adjust the heat? Intensity? It’s great. The one I had prior to it didn’t. This one I use just about every morning and depending on if it’s for myself, my kids, bread to eggos, they all get a different level. Kids like theirs barely toasted, so it’s set low, but for eggos to come out unfrozen I have to crank it up over half, wife likes her toast a level under tree bark so it gets set to almost burn.
Great feature. And that’s about the most I’ve ever talked about toasters lol.
Good luck in the hunt.

Edit. I just checked. It’s a Black & Decker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
We have a Breville its the best we've had a little on the pricy side for a toaster but it works well
X2 never in a million years thought I'd spend 100 plus on a toaster but so far after 1 year I love it.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:29 PM

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008I6SLV8/...94800_TE_dp_i1

Dodger
Old 12-08-2018, 08:38 PM

Thanks for your comments thus far .
I remember using one like Steyman pointed out , in the trailer when we'd go camping when I was young ....and yup I remember getting burnt .

And I remember using the one over the camp fire , that folded out and held 4 slices of bread . Think I got stung on that one too.

Not sure if I'm ready to spend $80-$100 on a new one , but if its as great as it sounds , I'll certainly check it out .

Fast is also a very go thing ...cause then you'll stand there and wait for it instead of trying to do other things while you wait , and then end up not hearing it pop up and come back to cold toast ...I hate cold dry toast ...at least
with burnt toast , you can still melt butter.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:19 PM

Well we happened to get a Breville toaster oven and we love it. A bit more than you might be looking for though. Toasts bread and waffles perfectly. Up to 6 slices at a time. Bonus is using it as an oven. Way faster than your big oven. It will cut your cooking time up to half if just a few pieces of food.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:54 AM

We had an old Sunbeam toaster that lasted forever. Since its demise we have had two silver ones and one black one....lol.

What I am saying is; you get what you pay for.....

Back in the day you couldn't kill a Sunbeam whether it be a toaster, kettle, mix master....etc.

Just sayin...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:22 AM

Got a Cuisinart four slice on sale for $39, marked down from $109. Bought it for when we have company. Works so good we use it full time now for about 4 years. Toasts even, digital setting for time, can heat one or both sides for cooking bagels, muffins etc.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
We had an old Sunbeam toaster that lasted forever. Since its demise we have had two silver ones and one black one....lol.

What I am saying is; you get what you pay for.....

Back in the day you couldn't kill a Sunbeam whether it be a toaster, kettle, mix master....etc.

Just sayin...
Same experience here with Sunbeam Energy efficient, uses half as much power and takes twice as long to make toast.

Grizz
Old 12-09-2018, 01:33 PM

I realize you probably just want a basic toaster, but have you considered a toaster oven? I use a Breville BOV845BSS and absolutely love it. It does a great job toasting bread - at least in my opinion. Additionally it's great for a lot of other things. I hardly use a normal oven anymore, unless I need more room. Perhaps another option to consider!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 12-09-2018, 08:11 PM

I'm always amazed at the stuff people ask for "advice "about on this forum lol ,it's a toaster man! Go to walmart and grab one, not really rocket science here. They are all designed the same way ,to slightly burn your bread so you can melt some butter on it. How did we ever function before the age of the online forum? What color pants should I wear to work tomorrow?
Old 12-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Banned

Fancy city slickers, I just fry up the bread in my cast iron pan in the bacon grease left over from the eggs...
Old 12-09-2018, 09:39 PM

Does anyone know what the numbers on the dial of the toasters actually mean there not standardized and it’s not minutes. I’ve always just thought it’s a scale of the level of toastyness.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:39 PM

If I am not mistaken I believe the numbers on a toaster dial are minutes. Turn the dial or knob to #3 and it will toast it for 3 minutes.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:47 PM

I want a toaster like the one that toasts a bagel in 30 seconds like Horton's have.
Maybe Lincoln makes one? The guys that build welders. Ya you need 220 power but I'm so sick of these panty waist toasters that take 5 minutes or more to toast a piece of bread all in the name of saving power.
Arrrugh.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:28 PM

When your as lucky as I am then you will have homemade bread and you slice it yourself turn the top broiler element on in your oven, put the rack close and keep an eye on it. The best ever toaster.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:48 PM

This forum never ceases to amaze me.

Had a 2 slot toaster for almost 10 years, I think it was maybe $15 when we got it new... can't remember the brand but it was starting to lose it's gusto so bought a new one on the weekend.

4 slot, shiny stainless new one, paid significantly more than $15 for it, can't remember the brand atm. We'll see how it plays out.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I'm always amazed at the stuff people ask for "advice "about on this forum lol ,it's a toaster man! Go to walmart and grab one, not really rocket science here. They are all designed the same way ,to slightly burn your bread so you can melt some butter on it. How did we ever function before the age of the online forum? What color pants should I wear to work tomorrow?
Blue, obviously.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE75 View Post
Blue, obviously.
Not Blue rather Pink
Old 12-10-2018, 04:41 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Fancy city slickers, I just fry up the bread in my cast iron pan in the bacon grease left over from the eggs...
And to add a little zing to it give the dogs arze a whipe with it, dam good back woods eatin' there.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-10-2018, 04:59 PM

Make sure the element is fairly thick. The thin elements seem to break when lighting smokes.