Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2017, 06:44 PM

Default South buck lake??

Anyone having any luck getting Walleyes over 50cms. this year?
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangeorge View Post
Anyone having any luck getting Walleyes over 50cms. this year?
Thanks.
Tons between 43-48 cm this year. Same as last year. Fish hard for a day and might get one over 50.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:49 PM

My friend and his girlfriend spent the weekend there. Managed 2 over 50.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:51 PM

Smile

Thanks Moose that's what I expected same as last year.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:01 AM

Default South Buck

Fished near the outflow June 24th and managed 1 over 50 in about 4 hours of fishing. I've found most of my 50cm+ fish in the north eastern corner of the lake between the outflow and the point sticking out on north east end of the lake. Catch a ton of pike too (all 2 pound clones of each other), they were assassinating my jig before I could even get it to the bottom, haha.

On a side note:
I wonder if they would try something like the slot size that Calling has for South Buck? One between 45 and 55 (maybe 43 to 50 for Buck since its a smaller lake?) would clear up a lot of the swarms of smaller ones, and any brooders that manage to get over 50 would be protected creating a little more of a sport fishery. Where as right now the second one gets to decent-ish size at 50cm its getting bonked on the head.

There are so many small walleye in that lake that they will start turning into perch soon enough if left as is lol.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:55 AM

Are You talking the outflow that is right by the Provincial Park Campground? That is on the North West corner of the Lake. Or is there an outfall in the North East corner of the Lake that I don't know about? 3-4 years ago We could keep 1 walleye per day over 45 cms. It was great as most days you could do it. Then they changed it to 1 per day over 50cms. and it has been very difficult to find them over 50cms.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:27 AM

Old 07-05-2017, 10:09 AM

yeah I was talking the outflow. in northwestern part. But the area I fish is the corner between the outflow and that point on that sticks out on east side of the lake.

sorry for confusion.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:56 AM

Smile

That makes more sense.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:16 PM

Its been a great summer on Buck! I have a place on the lake and am there every weekend. I fish alone with my dog or I have buddies come out often... I get a keeper most days. Last sunday three of us in boat for three hours and we each had a keeper Eye at least 51cm and I also had a nice big perch. Everyday I will see the pike, but not a ton. Keeper pike (63cm) are easy to come by but that's not what I am usually after. I spent 10 days holidays on Buck this year and combine that with all the other times out, I have had plenty of good keeper Eyes. Although I do agree that there are a ton of them in the 43-48 range and maybe the slot range could be adjusted.
Sounds awfully conceited as I read the above, but I just wanted to clarify that there are plenty of keeper (50cm+) walleye to be had.
Cheers
Old 08-23-2017, 08:16 PM

Default Welcome

Welcome to the forum, hope the rest of your summer is great 👌
WDF
Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 PM

I call b.s on that "lots of walleye over 50 cm" better check your tape measure. They probably 48.5 cm which is not 50 cm. I fish the hell out of that lake summer and winter with cameras and run thru 50 wallies a day with cranks slip bobbers, deep, shallow, east side west side you name it and a honest keeper walleye is rare as an albino sasquatch. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I talk to and know lots of locals that put a lot of time in too.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
I call b.s on that "lots of walleye over 50 cm" better check your tape measure. They probably 48.5 cm which is not 50 cm. I fish the hell out of that lake summer and winter with cameras and run thru 50 wallies a day with cranks slip bobbers, deep, shallow, east side west side you name it and a honest keeper walleye is rare as an albino sasquatch. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I talk to and know lots of locals that put a lot of time in too.
Ok, call bs- i don't really care. Or, pm me for pics and I will send plenty. Or, better yet, jump in my boat and I will take you right to them! Lol
Really? What reason would I have to jump on this site and exaggerate on my first post? The only reason I chimed in was to clarify that there are plenty of keeper walleye in Buck. What was I to gain by throwing out b.s?
I have been there for years as well... was every year like this? No. Your Intel is incorrect, if you haven't been fishing there this year and are going by "lots of locals" word, that's your mistake. Just saying.
Call bs all you like... take me up on my offers above and I will gladly show you.
Cheers
Old 08-23-2017, 11:41 PM

Easy there big fella! Just a little friendly fisherman banter. The buck I know is a 45 cm walleye lake. I hardly even bother with them this time of year because by now I find most of the legal fish are long gone. You bet I would love to hop in your boat my friend. Then you hop in mine and I will show you what I pursue in buck lake. Gladly. That's what fishing is all about man. Just when you think you got a lake figured some dude will hand you a liking. But if you getting keepers steady you got the touch.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Easy there big fella! Just a little friendly fisherman banter. The buck I know is a 45 cm walleye lake. I hardly even bother with them this time of year because by now I find most of the legal fish are long gone. You bet I would love to hop in your boat my friend. Then you hop in mine and I will show you what I pursue in buck lake. Gladly. That's what fishing is all about man. Just when you think you got a lake figured some dude will hand you a liking. But if you getting keepers steady you got the touch.
oh< don't get me wrong, i"m easy my friend! Just clarifying that I wouldn't post b.s. of my fishing excursions. I'm not worked up at all, life's too short to take anything too seriously. My response was more a back up to my statement... i honestly love meeting new fishermen and heading out to find new spots or unused techniques. Instead of hoping in and out of each others boats, maybe send me a message when you are going to be out at Buck again, i will show you a spot where you will get keeper walleye. These days I am more after the perch and am concentrating on that. I landed a very nice one last week that only entices me to land more. If you possess the secret to many perch out at Buck, we could make a gentlemen's trade so to speak! LOl

Tight Lines...
Old 08-25-2017, 08:47 AM

I am out here quite a bit. On average we have been getting a legal walleye every 2nd day or so.

Its been a good year actually. Water is warm and green as normal.

But that is Buck.

Has anyone been catching any Whites this summer. They have stumped me so far as i usually get a couple.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I am out here quite a bit. On average we have been getting a legal walleye every 2nd day or so.

Its been a good year actually. Water is warm and green as normal.

But that is Buck.

Has anyone been catching any Whites this summer. They have stumped me so far as i usually get a couple.
I've only caught one white and that was what I consider a fluke as it was my first time trying out some worm worms that I tied. Red wire with hook strung horizontally. Was a small one, but still shocked me that I got him.
I fly fish very early morning or late evening with a dry fly and don't catch much of anything, I think I do it more for relaxation than anything. But I did have something take the fly one night but o lost it. Would whites take a dry fly?