Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 09:37 AM

Default Truck Topper

Looking at getting a used truck topper..... more then likely won't be able to find a colour matched one... ( I actually thought there would be more black ones out there!) .... has anyone out there had their topper line-x'ed ??? pro's cons?? I figure it may add a little weight.... but insignificant .... and more durable....
Old 06-22-2018, 10:29 AM

Assuming your talking a canopy, as a ex body man, my guess would be the box liner would be real thick against all moldings and glass if it is masked off. If they remove all that to spray, they wont sit flush after, due to the texture of the box liner and you may need some extra sealer to fill in the gaps left by the texture to prevent water leaking by. If they do mask off everything, expect a large edge where the box liner meets any moldings.

Most canopy shops paint toppers or go to a body shop.

If your talking a box cover. Should be ok if the gas shocks can handle the extra weight.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Assuming your talking a canopy, as a ex body man, my guess would be the box liner would be real thick against all moldings and glass if it is masked off. If they remove all that to spray, they wont sit flush after, due to the texture of the box liner and you may need some extra sealer to fill in the gaps left by the texture to prevent water leaking by. If they do mask off everything, expect a large edge where the box liner meets any moldings.

Most canopy shops paint toppers or go to a body shop.

If your talking a box cover. Should be ok if the gas shocks can handle the extra weight.

Ahhh never thought of that ( which is why I asked....) and yes it’s a canopy...
Old 06-22-2018, 10:41 AM

I'm actually picking up my truck from Armorguard this afternoon. I've had them Line-x the rocker panels and flares from front to back of truck. If you have any questions that I can answer from that application, let me know, happy to help.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
I'm actually picking up my truck from Armorguard this afternoon. I've had them Line-x the rocker panels and flares from front to back of truck. If you have any questions that I can answer from that application, let me know, happy to help.

Can you ask them if they / can do a canopy?? And how?? Lol
Old 06-22-2018, 11:48 AM

They can Line-X near anything, a canopy would be easy, just be prepared to pay them around what the used canopy probably cost you in the first place. My new service van is getting Line-X'd on Monday (rocker panels, rear wheel wells and some details around the doors.

I had a used canopy on my 2006 Power Wagon, the truck was red but the silver canopy was neutral enough to work. I don't have the truck anymore but with a mod to the rear door to clear the tailgate that canopy now resides on my brothers Nissan Titan.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:21 PM

This is exactly what I did. Cost $350 and I brought it to them stripped of all the windows and hardware.

They can make the line-x very close to the colour of the truck however the surface is different so only in certain lights does it look like a match, the rest of the time it looks close, but not ridiculous.

I am happy with the product and would do it again.

Some comments here regarding the seals - its fine. When you install the glass just do a nice job with a good quality exterior caulking and it will seal nicely. I used 2" foam tape to seal it to the bed and it doesn't leak at all.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:30 PM

Old 06-22-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger72 View Post
Can you ask them if they / can do a canopy?? And how?? Lol
Will do. Not sure they'll share too much info on the how, trade secret maybe? But I'll definitely ask.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:47 PM

Ok so yeah, they do canopies. He only told me what the fiberglass canopies would entail. If the canopy is used and there's dings in it they will need to fill the fiberglass to get it back to original shape. This is a $90/hr service. Outside of that, a standard canopy is around $300 to $400 dependant on how big, that's for plain black. Add another $350 or so for standard colors, add $100 to that if you want to get fancy with pearl whites, ruby reds, etc. The shop manager said that Line-X sticks to fiberglass really well, he's done the canopy on his own truck and he's had no problems with it.

Process wise, pretty much how it was described above. They tape everything off after they've removed the canopy from the truck.

And I have to say, Armaguard on the south side does nice work. I'm very happy with my rocker panels.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:51 PM

Shortly after I bought my truck I stopped by Alberta Trailers and Truck Canopies (on the QEII by Innisfail) and was surprised at the number and variety of used canopies. Got one that perfectly fit and color matched to my F250 and installed for $1,100. This was a few years ago, so not sure if prices have changed much. The canopy was in 8/10 shape. Paint was perfect but had to fix the latches to get them to lock.

They are worth checking out if you're on that stretch of the QEII
Old 06-22-2018, 07:08 PM

Well thanks for the info guys...as always... a helpful bunch... Im gonna go look at one over the weekend and will start shopping around for a place in Calgary that would do it.... If anyone has a shop that does...or family members that do.... fire away...I'll pop in .... keep it local right!!!!