Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 PM

Default How do you Feel About Handgun Restrictions?

I'm sure there's an opinion or two

Personally I'd be into buying a handgun for using down at the range and for taking into the woods for self-defense.

Under the law though I can either keep the gun at the range where I can't appreciate it or I can keep it at home where I can appreciate it but not use it and never the twain shall meet. And also I can't take it in the woods either. Kinda takes the "fun" out of it.

Now by fun I don't mean swaggering around in public talking like Dirty Harry and using it to open beer cans; I'm not an idiot. Just feels to me like the spirit is gone. Know what I mean?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:42 PM
AvayaAce

I think that handguns and their use should be kept as is. We have enough problems with crooks and whackos having access to rifles and such.
Handguns are too easy to conceal and our law enforcement agencies would be under increased threat pulling over any vehicles.

Again, its not the sportsman that would ruin things........
Old 11-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Gone Hunting

To put it simply, you can't be trusted. Sorry but that's the way it is. Can't be trusted.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 PM

I have 7 handguns, and take them out to the range whenever I want. Permit needs to be renewed annually. I can also take them to ranges out of town if I have an invitation.
My dad had the " prospecting permit ", but was only good if he was on one of his claims. Could not be out looking for a claim, or staking with it. Handgun had to be locked up while traveling to and from claims.

RD
Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 PM

Well I'm not pro-whacko but as it is the guns aren't illegal to buy and the actual criminals are more or less on the honor system to not conceal them in public.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
I have 7 handguns, and take them out to the range whenever I want. Permit needs to be renewed annually. I can also take them to ranges out of town if I have an invitation.
My dad had the " prospecting permit ", but was only good if he was on one of his claims. Could not be out looking for a claim, or staking with it. Handgun had to be locked up while traveling to and from claims.

RD
Was my understanding that you needed a permit each and every time you transported a handgun somewhere. Maybe I have some bad information.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM

Should be no different than non restricted.

My Long term ATT is good for 4 years. ?? You need a short term ATT for the initial purchase to bring it home or to or from the post office to ship/recieve.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 11-08-2011, 01:04 PM

even with the laws people are still going to be walking walmart,sobeys,mcdonalds with there 22 any law doesnt stop people from carrying a weapon
Old 11-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBB View Post
I think that handguns and their use should be kept as is. We have enough problems with crooks and whackos having access to rifles and such.
Handguns are too easy to conceal and our law enforcement agencies would be under increased threat pulling over any vehicles.

Do you really think a criminal gives a rat's patoot if a gun is restricted or legal?

Perhaps the criminals should be targetted by Law Enforcement.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:

I hope your tongue is firmly in your cheek. With proper regulations, there is no legitimate reason we shouldn't be allowed to carry handguns in the Bush, or to the range without getting a permit. Downtown Calgary, not so. Same old story, penalize the law abiding citizens in a vain attempt to achieve some social aim. Our gun laws were supposedly modeled on Germany's, but there's are more liberal in several ways.

Grizz
Old 11-08-2011, 01:14 PM

If a criminal wants a handgun, HE WILL GET A HANDGUN! If Joe average wants a handgun for defence in the bush and plinking, HE WILL NOT GET A HANDGUN! that being said, is it really neccesary for all the red tape? Its very easy for a criminal to obtain a handgun. the red tape only hinders the decent folk.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Personally, I think that if I'm in an area where I can carry a non-restricted firearm, I should also be able to carry (open carry) a restricted firearm. Since I don't intend to use either in a criminal manor, what difference does it make if it's a rifle or shotgun (far more powerful than your average handgun), or a more portable revolver or pistol?

I think they should make it easier to get the so-called "wilderness" carry permits for handguns. These are NOT the guns being used in crime, and to infer that I might somehow be a danger to the public just because I own and wish to use a handgun in a legal manor is insulting.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I think that handguns and their use should be kept as is. We have enough problems with crooks and whackos having access to rifles and such. Handguns are too easy to conceal and our law enforcement agencies would be under increased threat pulling over any vehicles.Again, its not the sportsman that would ruin things........
I don't agree. You seem to think handguns are evil and turn law abiding people into dangerous people. Why would cops be more in danger at traffic stops, you saying people who legally buy them (have no record) are going to point them at a cop or make a problem. They would be in the vehicle under the same circumstances as a rifle or shotgun (going or coming back from shooting, no other time), so what's the difference? Wackos and crooks already get their handguns illegally, so why would they go to a store and buy one. Again don't see how that adds to it.

I say handguns you should need a restricted license with ADVANCED training where you could shoot them at ranges, in the woods, or carrying for self defence while hiking, shooting on your own property. If they did this l would be fine with a handgun registry just to keep an extra eye on them even though they would be used in the same way as any other gun. They may be a more of a target for criminals to break into your house and steal them, but that is why we have safes for proper storage, so what would be the difference in that threat be now or if the laws were looser?

If l remember correctly l thought l read somewhere last year that in all of Canada less then 10 people died from registered handguns. Not sure though thought l read that.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:41 PM
AvayaAce

Ah yes, the freedom to bear arms, wake up guys!
The more available handguns are, the chances of them being in the wrong hands increases. Yes criminals can get whatever they want, but lets not make things easier. Easier access to handguns means that criminals will have a better selection.
Have a look at the issues in the US because of this so called right.
As I stated, its not the average sportsman that ruins things, but easier access and less regulation IMO would be ludicrous.

Watch a few COPS re-runs and see the low life gang bangers that are all packing like the old West. Better yet........ask a few law enforcement officers what their thoughts are??

Gun Deaths - International Comparisons
Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year indicated):

Homicide Suicide Other (inc Accident)

USA (2001) 3.98 5.92 0.36
Italy (1997) 0.81 1.1 0.07
Switzerland (1998) 0.50 5.8 0.10
Canada (2002) 0.4 2.0 0.04
Finland (2003) 0.35 4.45 0.10
Australia (2001) 0.24 1.34 0.10
France (2001) 0.21 3.4 0.49
England/Wales (2002) 0.15 0.2 0.03
Scotland (2002) 0.06 0.2 0.02
Japan (2002) 0.02 0.04 0
Old 11-08-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, the freedom to bear arms, wake up guys!
The more available handguns are, the chances of them being in the wrong hands increases. Yes criminals can get whatever they want, but lets not make things easier. Easier access to handguns means that criminals will have a better selection.
Have a look at the issues in the US because of this so called right.
As I stated, its not the average sportsman that ruins things, but easier access and less regulation IMO would be ludicrous.

Watch a few COPS re-runs and see the low life gang bangers that are all packing like the old West. Better yet........ask a few law enforcement officers what their thoughts are??

Gun Deaths - International Comparisons
Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year indicated):

Homicide Suicide Other (inc Accident)

USA (2001) 3.98 5.92 0.36
Italy (1997) 0.81 1.1 0.07
Switzerland (1998) 0.50 5.8 0.10
Canada (2002) 0.4 2.0 0.04
Finland (2003) 0.35 4.45 0.10
Australia (2001) 0.24 1.34 0.10
France (2001) 0.21 3.4 0.49
England/Wales (2002) 0.15 0.2 0.03
Scotland (2002) 0.06 0.2 0.02
Japan (2002) 0.02 0.04 0
Yeah but how would these crooks get our handguns if we keep them locked up just like our other weapons?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear 666 View Post
Yeah but how would these crooks get our handguns if we keep them locked up just like our other weapons?
I think BBBB is a troll, or a wanna be troll at least. Remember, it's your fault because some gang banger wants to pack an illegal handgun. It's the same logic that gave us the gun registry. Just because you own a gun, you might be a danger to society. I saw that on COPS.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Better do something about all these women walking around.

Easier access to women means that criminals will have a better selection for rape..

If we burned half the houses it stands to reason that we could cut home invasions in half.

If you burned all your money, wouldn't tat mean there was none for the criminals to steal?

Old 11-08-2011, 02:21 PM
AvayaAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I think BBBB is a troll, or a wanna be troll at least. Remember, it's your fault because some gang banger wants to pack an illegal handgun. It's the same logic that gave us the gun registry. Just because you own a gun, you might be a danger to society. I saw that on COPS.
The last time I looked, this was a general discussion forum that allowed people to state their opinions. I'm sorry that you have a different one. Grow Up
Old 11-08-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
The last time I looked, this was a general discussion forum that allowed people to state their opinions. I'm sorry that you have a different one. Grow Up
Why are you sorry that my opinion is different than yours is? Because I don't agree, I should "grow up"?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
It's attitudes like that that resulted in the long gun registration being implemented, and in most of the nonsense gun control restrictions being put into law.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:35 PM

I would love to be able to hunt with a hand gun, or to be able to use a small revolver to hunt partridge, dispatch game, etc.
Cat
Old 11-08-2011, 02:38 PM
Gone Hunting

There has to be some kind of gov't payment plan that can be st up for criminals to receive a monthly check. That would do away with their need for stolen handguns and free the way for taxpayers to carry.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:52 PM

MY thoughts on handgun restriction. They're stupid. I'd love to be able to open carry a handgun, if you want to conceal it, take a course and get a permit.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Handguns are too easy to conceal
I agree with this statement. I cannot say whether any laws should change though as I do not own one and cannot see a use for one for myself.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I agree with this statement. I cannot say whether any laws should change though as I do not own one and cannot see a use for one for myself.
Any weapon can be concealed quite easily. Not just a handgun.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 11-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Banned

Trench coats and bath robes make it easy to conceal rifles...ergo they should be banned as well. So do guitar cases.

So ban trench coats, bath robes, guitar cases, coveralls, long back packs as well.

Liberals (liberals) are funny.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Knives are even easier to conceal, and far, far more crime is committed with knives than are firearms.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Any weapon can be concealed quite easily. Not just a handgun.
Tough to hide my rifle in my jacket!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Knives are even easier to conceal, and far, far more crime is committed with knives than are firearms.
Any they are easier to obtain.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Cool View Post
Was my understanding that you needed a permit each and every time you transported a handgun somewhere. Maybe I have some bad information.
If you can prove a need...you can obtain a long term ATT that will cover the same time span as your RPAL and you can renew it at the same time you renew your RPAL. I just got all my stuff RPAL and 5 year long term ATT last week. Again you need to "justify" the need to them (Provincial Firearms Officer) Also the one I obtained has province wide coverage.

LC