Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-02-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman View Post
I choose the peep given the diameter of the circle allolwed. It made for a great sight picture, with very little frame around the target. Basically, when you see black, you pull the trigger. The rifle has a great trigger, isn't particularliy heavy, and has a good distance between front and rear sights.

I don't think high magnification scopes are the answer for this type of shooting at all, as they often cause a person to second guess thier first, best shot opportunity. A lower power scope, say a four or a six, with a heavy crosshair would be about ideal if using an optic, or a red dot with a large MOA circle.

As to what would be easier? Most likley a low power scope with a heavy crosshair on a moderate recoiling, lighter rifle, with a great trigger.

R.
Right on.

It seems that some of the doubters don't shoot peep-sighted rifles, for they know not how peeps make it instantly clear the hold is good and that it's
finish-the-trigger-press time.

With a reticle, esp. a thin one, time and energy (= fatigue) are wasted sampling the wavering quartered sight picture to confirm a good hold.

Rman what is the vertical range of that Lyman peep, in terms of being able to hold centre of target and get a hit? In other words, when the distance is known, how far out can you shoot by holding dead on simply by raising the peep (rather than holding over)?
Old 02-02-2015, 03:12 PM

...was going to try as well, but given the microscopic scrutiny it would be under....myself and the 30-378 will refrain....and my hold over will not be 6feet....lol.....
Old 02-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
The typical round up the posse and meet me at the bike rack after school response from you.

Send me your home address, and I'll swing by and pick you up with my crew, and we'll go to my range and shoot...

R.
That sounds good Rman, and thank you. We can meet up at the Timmy in High River. From there we can travel to your choice of range, be it yours or mine. I will bring my chrono if you're ok with that and my long range camera. You pick a day as my schedule is fairly good and post your chosen date here. Please bring a target as per 260's rules. We can start off with a hand shake and a coffee. I look forward to meeting you. Cheers.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post
I am going to take a crack at this but there is no way in hell I will post any results here and be subjected to the dog and pony gong show inquisition this thread has turned into. If it takes me all summer to get it done I don't care and will do it wearing a red garter belt with a fish on my head and a coyete thong.

Sheesh
ok but this is a difficult challenge even for all summer i dont think we would hold you to this costume the rest of your life though
Old 02-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
That sounds good Rman, and thank you. We can meet up at the Timmy in High River. From there we can travel to your choice of range, be it yours or mine. I will bring my chrono if you're ok with that and my long range camera. You pick a day as my schedule is fairly good and post your chosen date here. Please bring a target as per 260's rules. We can start off with a hand shake and a coffee. I look forward to meeting you. Cheers.
I didn't say Timmy's. I said I would swing by and pick you up...
Also, you may as well drop the facade, you have about as much interest in meeting me as I do catching chicken pox. Your PM's to me have shown that.

Not sure, at this point what you are trying to prove, but I am sure you don't even know either.

Good day to you, sir.

R.

Last edited by Rman; 02-02-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
No need to edit Cowtown, if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time!! Was my memory off?
Old 02-02-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
What do you guys think would be the maximum pressure that Rmans old 38-55 could handle? I think in the reloading books they state the maximum is 27500psi. Would you all agree this is fairly accurate or does someone else have better data?
The truth is it can handle any pressure at which it does not blow up.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Right on.

It seems that some of the doubters don't shoot peep-sighted rifles, for they know not how peeps make it instantly clear the hold is good and that it's
finish-the-trigger-press time.

With a reticle, esp. a thin one, time and energy (= fatigue) are wasted sampling the wavering quartered sight picture to confirm a good hold.

Rman what is the vertical range of that Lyman peep, in terms of being able to hold centre of target and get a hit? In other words, when the distance is known, how far out can you shoot by holding dead on simply by raising the peep (rather than holding over)?
The rear stem shown on the rifle can get to about 225ish yards, and then I have to put on the taller stem to go to 300. I don't have the tallest stem that Lyman made, and 300 yards is as far as I usually shoot that rifle.
It really isn't a hold over type rifle given the drops involved, and my charts are at 10 yard intervals.
The nice thing about those Lyman sights is that both windage and elevation adjustment have positive 1/4 MOA clicks. I just checked Brownells, and don't see them listed anymore?

R.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
The truth is it can handle any pressure at which it does not blow up.
well ya... sounds easy right?

but you might be able to put 70,000 psi through it once and have it blow down the road from regular pressure loads.

but it didn't blow from the one really high pressure load so you're good to go right?

i would advise caution to anyone looking to load higher than the limits set out by saami. those who do in this thread seem to be aware of the risks and are comfortable shooting it there. that's their choice
Old 02-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
I didn't say Timmy's. I said I would swing by and pick you up...
Also, you may as well drop the facade, you have about as much interest in meeting me as I do catching chicken pox. Your PM's to me have shown that.

Not sure, at this point what you are trying to prove, but I am sure you don't even know either.

Good day to you, sir.

R.
Ok then, you can pick me up. I don't recall ever sending you a pm. But so be it. My 911 address is 578005 24 St. East. From the traffic circle in the south end of High River, go south 2 miles to 562 Ave. Go west past the big antennas, down and out of the coulee. The road winds a bit, when at 24 street, turn south. Go 800 meters. My house and quonset are dove grey on the west side. I look forward to meeting you. I will have coffee or tea on if you like. Just let me know a date and time and as a good host, I will try to accomodate all of your needs. Heck, you won't even have to walk to the target, I can provide a side x side.

And to clarify things as to being sure as to what I'm trying to prove and being sure about it. Well, I'm trying to prove that the target that you've previously posted is bogus.

Last edited by gitrdun; 02-02-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post

but you might be able to put 70,000 psi through it once and have it blow down the road from regular pressure loads.

but it didn't blow from the one really high pressure load so you're good to go right?

i would advise caution to anyone looking to load higher than the limits set out by saami. those who do in this thread seem to be aware of the risks and are comfortable shooting it there. that's their choice
Correct you are.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:47 PM

I will be trying it with Tikka T3 30-06, Ruger M77 7mmRM, and Browning 300WM. All with run of the mill Leopolds, Burris scopes. Hand loads per Hornady Manual V9, tuned for MOA or less at 100 yards.

Oh ya and a fish on my head. Results will be shared by PM with a select few.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

Just as a full explanation as to where I am at with this...The one thing I considered when doing the load development was what could the action handle. As mentioned, some rounds chambered in the Model 94 can run fairly high pressures. The 375 Winchester comes to mind.
I choose to make 42,000 psi my limit, as it was suggested to me by a few other 38-55 shooters to be a very safe operating range.
This happens to also be the operating pressure of the 30-30, which we all should know is also a fairly old round, and used with no issues since day 1 of manufacture on Model 94 recievers.
Based on this information, and the guidance of some very experinced shooters, I proceeded to develop the load I used for this challange.
My information, specific to my load, and my rifle, shows an aproximate operating pressure of about 38,500 psi. Refering to the Quickload page that Bergerboy posted, Quickload suggests a pressure of just under 35,000 psi.

So keeping this information in mind, and again, what exactly the SAAMI guidelines are for, I hardly feel that I am taking my very existence into question everytime I press that particular trigger.

R.

Last edited by Rman; 02-02-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok then, you can pick me up. I don't recall ever sending you a pm. But so be it. My 911 address is 578005 24 St. East. From the traffic circle in the south end of High River, go south 2 miles to 562 Ave. Go west past the big antennas, down and out of the coulee. The road winds a bit, when at 24 street, turn south. Go 800 meters. My house and quonset are dove grey on the west side. I look forward to meeting you. I will have coffee or tea on if you like. Just let me know a date and time and as a good host, I will try to accomodate all of your needs. Heck, you won't even have to walk to the target, I can provide a side x side.
To accomplish what, exactly?
Your reading skills seem to be lacking, again.
I have a PM in my mailbox from you, do I need to send it back to refresh your memory?

Move on. This thread is finally moving in the right direction...

R.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
The typical round up the posse and meet me at the bike rack after school response from you.

Send me your home address, and I'll swing by and pick you up with my crew, and we'll go to my range and shoot...

R.
So what the heck happened here to change your mind my good man. As requested, you have my address and directions as requested. Would it be more suitable if I drove down to Calgary and pick you up? I can do that. Darn it anyways, don't deny me the opportunity to witness such marksmanship. Pretty please?
Old 02-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just as a full explanation as to where I am at with this...The one thing I considered when doing the load development was what could the action handle. As mentioned, some rounds chambered in the Model 94 can run fairly high pressures. The 375 Winchester comes to mind.
I choose to make 42,000 psi my limit, as it was suggested to me by a few other 38-55 shooters to be a very safe operating range.
This happens to also be the operating pressure of the 30-30, which we all should know is also a fairly old round, and used with no issues since day 1 of manufacture on Model 94 recievers.
Based on this information, and the guidance of some very experinced shooters, I proceeded to develop the load I used for this challange.
My information, specific to my load, and my rifle, shows an aproximate operating pressure of about 38,500 psi. Refering to the Quickload page that Bergerboy posted, Quickload suggests a pressure of just under 35,000 psi.

So keeping this information in mind, and again, what exactly the SAAMI guidelines are for, I hardly feel that I am taking my very existance into question everytime I press that particular trigger.

R.
i didn't mean to use you as an example again, we had already talked about the origins of your rifle and the cartridge and you could probably get away with it. personally i don't see why you want to push it. for me it takes away from what it is and takes it to something you might do with a barrel burner. but it's not my call, my rifle, or me shooting so it doesn't matter.

for this example it could be my 223 developing hairline cracks in one of the lugs or something

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0509.htm

that focuses a lot on handguns but same boat and a decent read for those who want to know why i say what i say
Old 02-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
i didn't mean to use you as an example again, we had already talked about the origins of your rifle and the cartridge and you could probably get away with it. personally i don't see why you want to push it. for me it takes away from what it is and takes it to something you might do with a barrel burner. but it's not my call, my rifle, or me shooting so it doesn't matter.

for this example it could be my 223 developing hairline cracks in one of the lugs or something

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0509.htm

that focuses a lot on handguns but same boat and a decent read for those who want to know why i say what i say
No worries!
It was more of an explanation to everyone else, and to try and show that I really don't feel that I'm pushing it.

R.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
No need to edit Cowtown, if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time!! Was my memory off?
I had posted 300 velocities not 30/06
Old 02-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
So what the heck happened here to change your mind my good man. As requested, you have my address and directions as requested. Would it be more suitable if I drove down to Calgary and pick you up? I can do that. Darn it anyways, don't deny me the opportunity to witness such marksmanship. Pretty please?
Will you please read my post!
The one that explains how the target came to be in the first place?

Move on.

R.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
To accomplish what, exactly?
Your reading skills seem to be lacking, again.
I have a PM in my mailbox from you, do I need to send it back to refresh your memory?

Move on. This thread is finally moving in the right direction...

R.

You wish for directness? To accomplish truthfullness in the target that you've originally posted. I most strongfully state that it is bogus. You accepted to prove otherwise. I've accepted all of your demands and requirements. You now have a challenge to prove me wrong. Is there any more requirements that you can think of? I can certainly try to accomodate you in any way possible.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Will you please read my post!
The one that explains how the target came to be in the first place?

Move on.

R.
No I ain't moving on. I want to see and witness a target shot as per 260rem's guidelines.What's up Rman? You asked for my address. I gave it to you along with driving directions. Is there any more requirements? Let me know as I always look forward to a shooting session with like minded people.

Last edited by gitrdun; 02-02-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:

You wish for directness? To accomplish truthfullness in the target that you've originally posted. I most strongfully state that it is bogus. You accepted to prove otherwise. I've accepted all of your demands and requirements. You now have a challenge to prove me wrong. Is there any more requirements that you can think of? I can certainly try to accomodate you in any way possible.
This is the same crap that you pull over and over again, and quite frankly, I will not be a party to it. To be quite clear, you have zero interest in meeting me, and I feel the same towards you. Again, I could care less about what you specifically think about the target. I have done more than explain myself, in great detail, and if that isn't good enough for you, then too bad. Deal with it like an adult, and move on. It is unfortunate that you can't figure things out for yourself, and when frustrated, you throw down the posse card, as it is all you have left.
You are contributing nothing to this thread, and it is high time that you left, again.

R.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
No I ain't moving on. I want to see and witness a target shot as per 260rem's guidelines.
The target WAS shot to 260rem guidlines!!!!!

And I really don't care what YOU want to see, as it isn't about YOU!
It is about participating, discussing, and shooting. You should at least try one of three sometime, as it is quite enjoyable.

Move along now, I am done with you and your sillyness.

R.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Banned

That is unfortunate Rman. Your point is very clear. You have been measured, you have been weighed, and you have been found wanting. :-)
Old 02-02-2015, 04:41 PM

Nice shooting Rman. You clearly put your work in and got results.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is unfortunate Rman. Your point is very clear. You have been measured, you have been weighed, and you have been found wanting. :-)
The only thing unfortunate about this whole thing, is you, posting on this thread.
Measured and weighed by who? You?
Am I measured to .0001"?
That's funny.
Who put you in charge? What qualifications do you have?
You haven't even participated in the challenge, and yet you feel compelled to comment on it?
It is your lack of knowledge that has been exposed, as has your posse routine, and poor sportsmanship. You are doing nothing here, except discouraging people from participating.
My point should be very clear, and it is to those that get it.
It is you that has been found wanting, again.
And no, you won't get me to break the forum rules, so I get a ban.
R.

Last edited by Rman; 02-02-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingd View Post
Nice shooting Rman. You clearly put your work in and got results.
Thank you.

R.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Banned

I'll share a can of stew with you anytime Rman, and if you ever want to go hunting with me, COUNT ME IN!
Old 02-02-2015, 05:13 PM
Banned

So to summarize. Rman posts a target. Some of us and particularly myself questions it. I offer him a challenge to duplicate this feat with witnesses. He then accepts to come to my home and pick me up. I then offer to meet him at Timmy's. He refuses and insists on picking me up at my place. I then comply and publicly post my address and directions. He still refuses to answer the challenge. Could it be more simple as to what this means? My point is proven without a shadow of a doubt. And if one refuses to validate their claims with all requirements being met, it only means one simple thing. And I can only hope that you can put it all together and come to your own conclusions.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
So to summarize. Rman posts a target. Some of us and particularly myself questions it. I offer him a challenge to duplicate this feat with witnesses. He then accepts to come to my home and pick me up. I then offer to meet him at Timmy's. He refuses and insists on picking me up at my place. I then comply and publicly post my address and directions. He still refuses to answer the challenge. Could it be more simple as to what this means? My point is proven without a shadow of a doubt. And if one refuses to validate their claims with all requirements being met, it only means one simple thing. And I can only hope that you can put it all together and come to your own conclusions.
Whose requirements were not met?
Oh yeah, yours...
And you were involved in this how?
Oh yeah, you weren't.
What's next? Some fella is going to make a post that he caught a 15 pound pike at the lake, and you are going to round a posse to make him prove it? Can't you see how disruptive you are being?
I did answer the challange. The only one that mattered, and that is the one that 260 posted.
Not sure when you became the great measuring stick of this forum, and when it was you, and you alone that gets decide what is true and what isn't, but it is getting more than old...

I have explained in great detail what it took to shoot that target, and I get that it must be your inexperience that prevents you from excepting it.

There was a lot of time, and effort spent. It took more than one trip, and more than five shots to do it. I even said so. And yet you are demanding that I do it again, in one trip, according to your parameters?

Get real.

By your own admission, your whole point of being here is to try and get me banned, by attempting to get me to break the forum rules.
How sad is that?

R.

Last edited by Rman; 02-02-2015 at 05:27 PM.