Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2018, 02:17 PM

Default RIP Vinnie Paul

Sad news about Hell Yeah and Pantera drummer Vinnie Paul. If you guys are into the music. I saw pantera in Vancouver in the 90s. God damn that's probably still my favourite concert I've been to!
Old 06-23-2018, 02:32 PM

Any word on cause of death yet?
Old 06-23-2018, 02:48 PM

All I’ve heard is that he died in his sleep

RIP Vinnie, have a drink with Dimebag
Old 06-23-2018, 03:10 PM

Ya no real word yet. Wow what a team. Vinnie and Dimebag. The music was truly amazing. What I grew up with. Brothers reunited again. In a sad sad way.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:21 PM

I met Vinnie Paul once, always been a huge fan

He was a big hockey fan and told me about when Mike modano and guy carbonneau took the Stanley cup to his house in Dallas and they got liquered up and tryed to throw the cup into the pool and caused many thousands of dollars of damage to it.

He took the blame for it but he said it was all guy carbonneau that did it, but he covered for guy so he wouldn't get in trouble with the NHL

RIP Vinnie

Last edited by trapper1981; 06-23-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper1981 View Post
I met Vinnie Paul once, always been a huge fan

He was a big hockey fan and told me about when Mike modano and guy carbonneau took the Stanley cup to his house in Dallas and they got liquered up and tryed to throw the cup into the pool and caused many thousands of dollars of damage to it
If only that cup could talk, the stories it could tell I'm sure!
Old 06-23-2018, 03:30 PM

Have any of you seen Pantera home video #2? We must have watched that movie over 1000 times.

If anyone else has stories or experiences I'm sure we'd all love to hear them.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Have any of you seen Pantera home video #2? We must have watched that movie over 1000 times.

If anyone else has stories or experiences I'm sure we'd all love to hear them.
All the Pantera home videos are a must watch. The coolest and must humble dudes in the entire music industry, especially Dime and Vinnie.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:25 PM

So bad. RIP to both brothers, hope you're together again
Old 06-23-2018, 09:28 PM

I played cowboys from hell and this love on guitar for a band in high school, I don’t remember if we did cemetery gates too or if I just played it a lot. I still play the cowboys riff once in a while to warm up. Incredibly talented band, I drum too but can’t imagine doing Vinny’s stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2018, 09:30 PM

Very sad to hear this. What a great drummer. Back in 2001 I flew to Vancouver to watch them in the extreme tour, then 2 days later they played Calgary, then the next night in Edmonton. I went to all 3 shows as slayer, static x, and morbid angel all played. My music tastes have changed a lot but you cannot dispute he was unbelievable. Hope Vinnie and Dime are having a black tooth grin. RIP
Old 06-23-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Sad news about Hell Yeah and Pantera drummer Vinnie Paul. If you guys are into the music. I saw pantera in Vancouver in the 90s. God damn that's probably still my favourite concert I've been to!
Saddened by this news at well. I first saw them perform in Vancouver in 1992 at the Commodore Ballroom. I was underage but managed to get in due to my size and ability to grow a goatee. Was front row and survived the brutal onslaught with Phil Anselmo screaming a few feet in front of me. It was visceral!
I had the opportunity in the future to be security at Damage Plan's Calgary show just weeks before Dimebag's murder. I spent a few hours with Vinnie and Darrell after their show, and they were genuinely humble people despite their fame and notoriety.

Pantera truly was a metal phenomenon
Old 06-24-2018, 08:35 AM
Banned

RIP Paul
Old 06-24-2018, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Any word on cause of death yet?
He died in his sleep at his home in Las Vegas. His body has been turned over to the medical examiner to determine a cause of death.RIP Paul
Old 06-24-2018, 10:43 AM

I was at the pantera sepultura and prong concert in 94. I think the sepultura chaos a.d. concert we went to was the same summer too.

When pantera first got on stage, there was a huge sewn together cloth banner that went from the ceiling to the floor with random drawings all over it. They had green pot leaf spot lights shining everywhere. The curtain dropped and Phil screamed out "does anybody have any weeeeeeeed" silly question as people a block away were probably getting high from all the smoke in the building lol. So a big bag of weed flys on stage and Phil sticks it in his pocket and the concert was on.
The last song of the night. Phil and Andreas Kisser, sepultura lead guitarist, sat on the edge of the stage, right in front of me, and smoked a big 2 paper joint while playing black sabbath's planet caravan.
I still had my ticket stub until a few years ago. Still to this day I have pantera cranked at work all the time and old people come in and look at me like I'm crazy. I look at them and think yep maybe I am.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:51 AM

Damageplan was my first real metal show. I think it was spring 2004 at the MacEwan Ballroom, I would have been 15. Awesome show, still remember it well. RIP Dime and Vinnie.