Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2009, 02:25 PM

Default Trailer information

Can somebody help me with some information. If I build myself a trailer, witch are the next steps before register.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:00 PM

Build Trailer
Pay $400 for trailer inspection from DOT (I think they do this at the Balzac scale can't remember what my Dad told me)
Register trailer.

For any trailer not registered previously you need this inspection done, I don't know if trailers registered out of provence need an inspection or not.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:17 PM

Hey, everything you mention is dependant upon size of the trailer and province so that being said it’s hard to tell.

In Ontario if your truck's weight's and trailers axle ratings exceed 9500 lbs (I believe) you need to get it safetied which is a yearly thing and costs about $125

For me, driving a GMC sierra and my trailer which I made last summer with a 5000lb axle I’m just below the 9500 lb limit and am good to go w/o ANY inspection.

Registration was simple, go to the office and pay $35. They asked me the estimated weight and color of it and gave me a “trailer plates.”

My trailer has never been safetied or inspected to check the quality of the build.

Feel Free to PM me for more details on the build.

Trailer requirements can be found on... transport canada's website or.... perhaps your provinces Ministry of transportation. It'll be good to look these sites up and bookmark them as your going to need to make reference to them throughout the build as they contain the information needed on lighting requirements and size limitations.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:13 PM

I built one and registered it without an inspection. No one told me anything about paying to get it done. One wouldni't save much on a smaller one if it costs a bunch to register. They did, however, want it to have a serial number so I etched in amy initials and the year built in several spots. That was five years ago so rules may have changed. Everyones got Bronconnieritis and got their hand in our pockets. Check with the registry people or AMA.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:17 PM

I would check with your nearest Alberta Registries agent. The lady here was saying something about having to get a serial # for it and I thought she said it would be $150. Or you could buy a previously registered wrecked trailer and "modify" it to accept the one that you are building.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I would check with your nearest Alberta Registries agent. The lady here was saying something about having to get a serial # for it and I thought she said it would be $150. Or you could buy a previously registered wrecked trailer and "modify" it to accept the one that you are building.
I did that and they gave a form to fill out and contact the Alberta Assigned Vehicle Identification Program, which is administered by The Insurance Beaureau of Canada, on behalf of Alberta Transportation . Cost for a home built trailer, less than 1400 kg. was quoted at 50. + GST. All other vehicles are 395. + GST. A lot more hassle than it used to be, when you could assign your own serial number, at no cost. Mine was HCU 1.
Grizz:
Old 02-19-2009, 07:17 PM

Default Registering a trailer

Grizzly has it right.
I built a trailer last spring out of my old Dakota box and frame. Cost $53 for the serial #. No hassle.