Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-11-2013, 06:48 AM

Default 30 M1 Carbine

Leduc Crapy Tire had a couple of these. $400. They look like they'd be a hoot. I wouldn't expect much accuracy though. I can't remember the brand they carry and was wondering if anyone knows more about them. How's ammo for price and availability? Would it be worthwhile to put any kind of optics on one?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 AM

400. ? Run, don't walk and buy them. Seems like a very unusual find in a CT store.

Grizz
Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 AM

is it a Norinco?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:20 AM

Find out if they are restricted.
Yes they are fun, but also fairly useless.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 AM

I used to have a universal make of one. Winchester ammo was $52/box....ouch. The AE stuff was more affordable,if you can find it. Mine was restricted so it was not the best to bomb around in,but your right it was a hoot . Similar round to a 357 .
Old 07-11-2013, 07:54 AM

I'm not sure if they're restricted. Can you get hi-capacity mags. for them? Sure they just had 5 rounders in them.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
I'm not sure if they're restricted. Can you get hi-capacity mags. for them? Sure they just had 5 rounders in them.
You can get hicap mags, but all must be pinned to 5.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:23 AM

I believe the Leduc CrappyTire ones are the Chiappa .22LR version. Non Restricted.

I wanted to hold one the other day, but I knew I'd buy it if I did...

Ive already bought a couple guns this month...

Also, I hear the Chiappas have quite a bit of plastic parts on them... Not sure if they like hot .22 or not either... I find most of the cool looking .22's have lots of plastic and require expensive ammo.

If it were a .30 M1 Carbine, it would be more like $800. And I have owned these too, expensive ammo, low powered rounds, and usually VERY ammo sensitive, unless you have a real USGI one, but they are all restricted...

I'm waiting for the GSG StG44 .22LR rifles to get their FRT from the RCMP... Hopefully classed as non restricted.... But you never know with them...
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.

Last edited by Desert_Faux; 07-11-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:44 PM

I had a plainfield civvy M1 copy in 30 carbine. Restricted, looked cool. Sold it and bought a SKS and crate of ammo with the proceeds. Way more bangs for the bucks for me. If the barrel is 18.5" or longer it is a non restricted rifle, I have seen them for sale on CGN.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:52 PM

Just got back from Can Tire Leduc.

Checked out the M1 Carbine again, and yes, it is the Chiappa .22LR Lookalike .30 M1 Carbine.

Wood is nice, the bolt and op rod rack nicely, the mag, bayo lug etc are all plastic (The bolt and barrel are steel and the action might be cast steel or aluminum??).

It definitely looks just like my Iver Johnson .30 Carbine, and would be cheaper to shoot, but I have read many nasty reviews on this gun.... maybe Chiappa has addressed these issues on the latest models, but I know a buddy has the Chiappa 1911 clone in .22 and it's a craptastic jammomatic too....

So instead of $400 for the cool, but perhaps, unreliable M1 carbine .22 copy, I purchased one of the dirt cheap $125 Norinco JW14 M1 Carbine copies they have there in .22LR!!! It's more of a bastard child between a German Gewehr43 and an M1 Carbine, but much cheaper and definitely reliable!!! I just took mine into the shop, blew the Cosmoline and Styrofoam bits out of the barrel with the compressor, function checked, and blasted a coke can to smithereens at 50 yards!! This will go nicely alongside my Norinco K98 .22 copy too!

PS: They DO record your info in a Ledger at CanTire... I lodged my disapproval, and they said they were looking into it, and the nice lady did mention that it is most likely CanTire policy. So keep telling them that we'd prefer they don't do it, and the owner may change his mind.

Cheers!!
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:16 PM

I have a Plainsfeild that is non restricted. I believe barrel length determines classification .
Old 07-11-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
I have a Plainsfeild that is non restricted. I believe barrel length determines classification .
Yes, barrel length does determine classification. ALL USGI WW2 M1 Carbines with ORIGINAL barrels are Restricted. Many have been rebarreled to be over the legal 18.5" to make them non-restricted (or had "extensions" added, which are longer accepted), and also, many post war commercial M1 Carbines were made with barrel lengths over 18.5"...

On .22 Rimfire though, even Semi Autos, barrel length doesn't matter so much as the overall length needs to be at least 26".

Semi Auto Centrefire has to have a barrel longer than 18.5" to be non restricted.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
is it a Norinco?
If Norinco were to make a non restricted one, I'd buy .

Grizz
Old 07-11-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
If Norinco were to make a non restricted one, I'd buy .

Grizz
Auto Ordnance is making a non restricted... Looks very nice (attractive wood) and the reviews are favourable. Probably a little more money than Norinco would do it for however.

I am really hoping that a lot of you will buy some and get tired of them....

Ah, one day.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!